NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

Modding a GC controller

Ok so I have some free time and I'm looking to mod a gamecube controller into some sort of fancy-dan Wii equivalent. Possibly white with a nice little wii logo on the front.

However, i've never done anything like this before and I've looked around online and found nothing but console case mods and 360 love. I've got the correct screwdrivers needed and now it's just a case of some spray paint (or considerably better would be vinyl spray I'm sure).

Anyone done this before/willing to offer any guidance?

Lemme know, cheers :)

Ok so I have some free time and I'm looking to mod a gamecube controller into some sort of fancy-dan Wii equivalent. Possibly white with a nice little wii logo on the front.

However, i've never done anything like this before and I've looked around online and found nothing but console case mods and 360 love. I've got the correct screwdrivers needed and now it's just a case of some spray paint (or considerably better would be vinyl spray I'm sure).

Anyone done this before/willing to offer any guidance?

Lemme know, cheers :)

I have no advice I'm afraid.. but I've always wanted to do something like this! I just wouldn't know where to start..

I'd even like to give a Wii flavour to my N64.. (just make the case/controllers white) and maybe even chance the little red light to blue..

Just buy the paint, take the case off the controller and paint the case/buttons.

I know that you can get an official form factor wii white gamecube controller on deal-extreme. You'll have to search a bit but its on there.

it would be cool, if someone could mod it so that it works equivalent to the wii VC controller

Hats off my man, I myself am planning to try and do a bit of a colour mod on an official GC pad, but I don't wanna do it on any of the pads I already have :p

EDIT: A large majority of this post was total lies. I'm looking at a pad now, brb.

EDIT^2: Ok, looking in a pad, it's quite easy, take off the back and the should buttons come with it. They themselves are held in with a bit of plastic with starpoint screws, you'll see it when you do it, not major really, after taking that out, the shoulder button plasic can come out quite easily. The biggest downside though? It seems the sticks cannot come off with ease, and I don't really wanna pull it with force in case I snap the board or rip the ribbon to the C stick. I'd say at second best solution, you could paint them with a brush or something in special paint rather than spray, but I don't know alot about paints and stuff.

And now I notice there's some tiny screws on the otherside of the board beneath both sticks, but I'm fairly sure taking those out won't help matters at all. I don't have the balls to break a pad, so I'm gonna put it back together until I find another pad that isn't mine for a few quids.

Just buy the paint, take the case off the controller and paint the case/buttons.

Or better yet use liquid latex for a nice rubberized feel.

Or better yet use liquid latex for a nice rubberized feel.

Mmmmm, rubberized feel.

I bought a couple of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Controller-Joypad-For-Wii-GameCube-Game-Cube-GC-White_W0QQitemZ310031100868QQihZ021QQcategoryZ147176QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would be perfect to 'experiment' on until you have the confidence to do an official one.

Hey.. I've looked at those before.. are they any way close to the official pad as I was almost tempted to get one as one of my black GC controllers has been used so much that the analogue stick has a lot of wear..

That looks identical to the offical pad without the Nintendo logo.. can you tell me how it feels?

They don't feel as good as the official ones. The buttons are a bit....stiff. Especially the shoulder buttons. Size and shape they are exactly the same. Other people who play on my Wii can not tell the difference, but if you have played with an official one for any length of time you can tell its slightly inferior.

Game were selling official purple / clear gamecube controllers for £6.99. Maybe you can steal the housing from this crap quality controller and exchange the cube one with it?

I'm considering I might get on this myself soon with one of those cheapy ebay ones, but I know nothing about paints for mod jobs, especially on a controller(which'll obv come under alot of wear). Does anyone know of any good guides about it?

Giving this a bit of a total hijack and bump hoping someone might be able to help on the best paint front, I've now decided to extend(though I'm doing it first) the plan to an actual gamecube which I recently purchased off Esequiel(spent a good few hours working out taking it apart, even with internet help), gonna make it Gold then somehow cover the black thing all black, then put a triforce on top of that, but I still dunno what'd be best ways to do things. I might also replace the little orange LED with a green one, though I dunno about that either to stop any sort of power issues cropping up.

Someone has suggested that enamel paint will be best for the controller as it'd obviously be under alot of wear, and other paints might come off easier or something. Any recommendations/advise? Secondly, anyone know their electrics and that who could tell me what I need to be mindful of for the LED replacement(do i change the resistor too, or must the new LED's ratings match the old?), and lastly, any suggestions on colour of the LED/anything else mentioned or design?

Wow, that looks like a pretty awesome mod to make, especially considering the crappiness of the GC pad for SNES games, I'm gonna put it on my list for the next thing to do after this, cos it looks a bit tricky.

As for my controller, I took it apart last night to paint all the grey bits black. I also found that the sticks CAN come off, you just need to pull with a bit of force. My next step is gonna be to put it all back together, then play with it a bit to see how it's holding. Then I'm going to be painting the ridges/crevices(like on the stick, and the letters) of the blackened buttons gold once I get some gold paint and a fine brush, then also do the purple casing gold once I obtain my gold spray. I'm using acrylic paints if anyone cares.

Also, some pichures!

IMG_0671_800x600.jpg

IMG_0677_800x600.jpg

IMG_0678_800x600.jpg

IMG_0683_800x600.jpg

EDIT:Seems that despite painting them last night, and given my sister's reports that the paint'd dry within a few hours(she neglected to mention she was basing that off painting on canvas), the paint is actually still not dry. I'm kinda regretting the idea of painting it on with a brush, think it's gonna take a while to dry off, should have tried to get myself some black spray instead. Also some little bits of fluff from the house being cleaned today seem to have stuck to the paint a bit :(

EDITEDIT:Oh noes, it seems I used oil paint rather than acrylic, and though I don't entirely understand the difference, I'm sure it isn't good :s Ok, now I sort of understand the difference, and am throroughly unimpressed with my sister for giving me her box of acrylic paints and not knowing she even had oil paints, and throughly unimpressed with myself for managing to pick the one oil paint tube out of a ton of acrylics. Totally repainted everything with acrylic, though it looks a bit shit cos there's a few brush strokes here and there. Getting the oil paint out was not fun nor easy :(

EDITEDITEDIT:ARGHARGHGHGGHGHG! I SUCK! I'VE LOST MY FUCKING START BUTTON! I THINK IT WENT DOWN THE BLOODY SINK, I AM MOST UNIMFUCKINGPRESSED. :mad: :mad:

Gone a bit off the topic of the thread, but I've made a golden gamecube(thanks to Esequiel's former gamecube that I bought) and I intend to make a pad to match in the near future, hopefully tomorrow. I did just post about it in another thread, so I'll stick a link to that here for now.

http://n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=725271&postcount=7262

It's all gold spray paint, and the lid's a bit shoddy, I messed it up and made it worse trying to fix it. The start button and controller face is acrylic paint from a tube that I sponged on, and I think I might have broken the gamecube a bit at the moment, but I'm gonna try and fix that tomorrow.

Looking good. I've yet to start my little project. I STILL need a tri wing screwdriver :o

Post up some pics of the controller though. I'll be modding a wavebird that's all :) the console looks really nice though.

My mate modded a SNES pad to include a Gamecube pad analogue stick instead of a d-pad. Obviously it didn't work in analogue and was still digital but was interesting nonetheless, I shall attempt to get a pic!

My tip is to leave the shiny parts alone, as the paint won't get a good grip on them.

The controller itself can use a bit of, let's say, white bumper paint. Bumper paint is made to stick to plastics, and usually is shiny...

If anyone is interested, I have one of these for sale..

f126-1.jpg

I got it a few weeks ago.. along with two memory cards which I just don't need and have decided to find them all a better home :smile:

If anyone is interested in it (ecen for modding purposes) then let me know.. I can post a picture of the item on request :heh:

If anyone is interested, I have one of these for sale..

f126-1.jpg

I got it a few weeks ago.. along with two memory cards which I just don't need and have decided to find them all a better home :smile:

If anyone is interested in it (ecen for modding purposes) then let me know.. I can post a picture of the item on request :heh:

Is that an original Nintendo pad or third party? Looks identical to the original GC controller.

It looks identical, yeh.. and the shape is the same..

The buttons are pretty different tho.. the face buttons are a little clickier (though not bad..) ..the shoulder buttons have a lot more resistence and the Z-button is just a basic click..

The Control Sticks feel OK (from the couple of minutes I tested it on Wave Race: Blue Storm :heh:) ..but when you look at it, the C-Stick isn't completely centred where it is placed but I wouldn't expect it to affect anyone too much :smile:

Sign in to follow this