NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
seamus_aran

so, I got one of those cables to connect my wii to my monitor...

Can't remember what its called or who its by - someone here recomended it.

But when I hook it up, I don't get a picture. The cable itself works fine - blue light comes on, signifying its working. I plug it into my DVI cable, and it does nothing.

Though I don't get a "no signal" message, it just... doesn't work.

Anyone know what I have to do?

Can't remember what its called or who its by - someone here recomended it.

But when I hook it up, I don't get a picture. The cable itself works fine - blue light comes on, signifying its working. I plug it into my DVI cable, and it does nothing.

Though I don't get a "no signal" message, it just... doesn't work.

Anyone know what I have to do?

Change monitor settings?

Put your Wii in progressive scan (the HDTV/EDTV mode). Computer monitors can't display the interlaced output you gave your TV. Also, try putting it in the VGA socket, it's a VGA cable after all...

How do you know he doesn't have a DVI cable.

Because you can't buy Wii DVI cables.

i'm pretty sure the Wii doesn't even have digital video out on the connector, so there's no way you could do DVI

I might be being an idiot, and it is VGA...

*checks*

Yes, I am being an idiot. Is a VGA...

got it working kids!

Plugged my Wii into my old TV and got onto the right menu. Because you can't choose 480p if the tv isn't capable (mine wasn't) - its like faded out - I had to then plug it in and select it blind. Took a few goes, but it worked eventually.

Dual monitors and Wii... though i don't like having to plug/unplug all the time. is it possible to get like a switch box to switch the signal whenever I want?

EDIT: one thing does annoy me though. VC games dont' work on it. Any way to fix that?

Hmm a VGA switchbox you mean? yeah you can get them but you may need to pay a reasonable amount for a decent one that works and that will last if your gonna be using it a lot, I bought one a while back, I think it cost around £70 at the time :S it was when I only had a single monitor and wanted to play my 360 in a decent resolution so I would have to switch between that and PC.

Now though I have a HDTV which I use as a PC monitor a lot of the time and when I want to play my 360 etc I flick a switch so that the PC displays on the old monitor while I'm playing, so it's served as quite a useful box even though is was initially expensive, as for the VC games I'm not sure but they might not support the resolution on that cable, I know a lot don;t even though they say they do.

I used to have that problem too except now I have all my "lesser" connections (component, composite) upscaled via HDMI and since then I haven't had the problem. :smile:

Dual monitors and Wii... though i don't like having to plug/unplug all the time. is it possible to get like a switch box to switch the signal whenever I want?
You can get a switch box. Doesn't your monitor have two ports though? My setup connects my laptop docking to the DVI port of my monitor and my Wii to the VGA port, and I can switch with a press of the button.

EDIT: one thing does annoy me though. VC games dont' work on it. Any way to fix that?

Nope, you lose VC games. As the older consoles don't support progressive scan (only Wii and some GameCube games do) they can't be displayed unless you connect the Wii some other way. You also can't play European GameCube games apparently.

Ahhh wel. I have a TV aerial port on my laptop, so I can plug it in there when I want to play vc games then send that to my big monitor...

Sign in to follow this