NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

Will downloadable content shape the industry?

Can you hear it coming?

Yes, that's the barrage of downloadable content coming to your Wii in the next few months.

Ok, so (hyperbole aside) it's a mere whisper at the moment yet by the end of 2008 and in the next few years I'm sure we will be deafened, even trampled by the sheer amount of downloadable content available.

Few would argue that this is a good thing for the industry. Yet doesn't every positive effect have a negative effect somewhere else?

Listen to industry rumblings for any amount of time and Wiiware (alongside MS and SONY equivalents) are the best things since sliced silicon.

Nic Watt, creative director of Australian developer Nnooo Games: "The great thing about WiiWare and services like it is we can offer titles at a lower cost than their disc-based counterparts," Watt continued. "This means that an apparently simple title like Pop can be sold for significantly less than the USD 40+ one would pay for a disc based game."

So an already-massive installed base, cheap development costs and no retail middle-man = a win, win situation for all involved.

Or does it?

We all know that there will be a size limit on downloadable content and if Hideo Kojima says 50Gb isn't enough now, then downloadable content has a buffer up it's backside before it's even out of the gate. Will size issues limit what is made? (Just Look at the Sqeenix support for the N64...Still looking?)

Or will size not matter in the face of big ideas? I fear one of the main reasons massive support for downloadable content is coming isn't because of the little budgets with big ideas mantra. It's because those with their consoles online are pretty much likely to buy games. Safe to say we will see a fair few gems like Superman64 and Cruisin' then.

Nothing different to the normal market you scream..

And so, by that viewpoint it is safe to say we will continue to see a business model just the same as today. Where big budget/big (in terms of storage) games are released on disk-based medias and the 'little' games (with, potentially BIG ideas) are hidden away (whether that is online or at the back of the store, behind X,Y,Z). Take LocoRoco, Katamari Damacy as well as titles like Chibi Robo and Viewtiful Joe as solid examples of "little" games with "big" ideas. (And titles that could have faired much better as downloadable titles).

There are far reaching implications of downloadable content. Pricing is important (will we finally see realistic pricing policies on the "quality" of a title?) And there are even implications that the big developers will oust the smaller ones with a mighty blow of the "spin-off" tool. Who wants to go against Final Fantasy and Pokemon Farm in the same month? Yet there lies another bonus...after release dates have passed avid gamers tire of a title. Nintendo are changing that, advertising games months after release. Will we see the same ideals online?

Whatever the result it's going to be very interesting in the next few years. Downloadable content could shaft the shops, or it could shaft the developers. Will risk = reward? Will gems sparkle like they so rightly should?

And will this post ever end?

The answers are possibly questions too, oh and a yes. It's ended. Happy debating :) This one may even end up on the main site! Well, I can dream!

So many questions there Tapedeck, I'm not sure where to begin. One thing I will tell you though, when I opened this and saw the length of your opening post (no bad thing, btw) I went and put the kettle on so I could have a cuppa whilst reading. :)

Ok then, its hard to say how the "lack" of memory available to make these downloadable games with will effect them. When you see things like LostWinds and FFCC: My Life as a King, then its difficult to say that the graphics have been compromised... but hey, isn't the point of it not meant to be, as you said, to get the big ideas out? Big ideas don't usually go hand in hand with high production values so with a bit of luck, any downloadable gems will be seen for what they are and not overlooked. The Wii itself is by no means a powerhouse and everyone is snapping it up, so it shows how people are willing to buy this "low end" stuff.

Will people be willing to fork out for the titles? Well, considering how successful the Virtual Console is, then I think offering original games to download is a no-brainer. Word of mouth could work wonders with advertising them- if you download something cool, tell your friend and they can download it to. No need to order it off Amazon and wait on it, or to go into town and buy it. Its simple! Will the gifting service be available with Wiiware? If it is, then you could send proper new games to people instead of them dodgy oldskool VC games, lol.

Will the games sell well after their initial launch window? I would imagine so, to me VC games are like an impulse buy so I imagine Wiiware will be a similar affair.

Hmm, I don't think I got back to you on all your points there lad, but I leave you with this question: if this thread is gonna be all about downloadable content (namely Wiiware) then would it have been better posted in the Wii Channels Board? Have a think about that brainteaser and get back to me. :heh:

Unless you mean downloaded content in games too - new tracks for mario kart, new exercises for wii fit, songs in guitar hero etc. etc.

i think the next gameboy will be centred around downloadable content like the ipod.

Unless you mean downloaded content in games too - new tracks for mario kart, new exercises for wii fit, songs in guitar hero etc. etc.

Yeah, downloadable content, whether its pay and play or not, will do wonders for adding longevity to games.

The next handheld should definitely have some memory set aside for downloading games or make blank cartridges available for it but I still think you'll be able to buy games in shops.

That's some good points. It's a shame the Wii has such limited memory because games like Wii Sports/Music would be perfect for downloaded content.

But yeah, this is eventually going to take over the market. Downloads are considered an alternative to Bluray already, and these downloads are going to grow really big. It's a shame that, again, the Wii is one generation behind (Nintendo is always so slow with this), but I'm confident the Wii2 will have considerable storage. In fact, I think it's really likely that within two generations of video consoles, the consoles won't have a disk drive at all, and you download games on your console.

imagine if the wii masss storage device is the new gameboy

(like sega's visual memory unit).

It takes AGES to get the ideas nintendont.

When it is this easy to buy games I think there is a bigger chance you are gonna shell out money for a game you would otherwise stay clear of.

Why hasn't a member of n-europe staff offered tapedeck a position on the site????????

You have a great writing style tapedeck and always come up with interesting topics of discussion - keep up the good work fella! : peace:

Thanks for the appreciative comments guys, it really means a lot : peace:

...The Wii itself is by no means a powerhouse and everyone is snapping it up, so it shows how people are willing to buy this "low end" stuff.

Indeed, it definately appears to be that way. And what a fabulous concept for the industry. It's something I've touched on before. I still feel that it's a terrible waste that we see a "golden" period on every console when it is on its last legs. What if that moment lasted longer as developers really used their prowess to deliver system-stretching titles? With Wii I'm sure we could see that happening more than previous generations. Thus downloadable content would be a fantastic area of that too, and already Final Fantasy has shown wonderful "last-gen" graphics. I wonder how good Wiiware can 'visually' get.

Blender - I also like the idea of an iTunes inspired console in which we are able to own our previous generations downloads. Afterall, It would be a PR disaster for consumers previously paid downloads going to waste.

Infact there are so many implications downloadable content brings just for the consumer.

Will the consumer lose the feeling of actually "owning" a title?

Does the consumer get any extra value on a trade-in if said console has numerous titles on it? If not, is that fair?

And will downloadable content lead to updated reviews/re-reviews of pre-existing software? - Something the media have not yet focused on.

(As Dazzy stated: Longevity will be altered with downloadable content for existing titles).

I didn't realise there was so many high-reaching implications until I really started to delve into downloadable content. It's definately an interesting facet of the future though.

Furthermore, I was looking at Geometry Wars and noting how that title had started off as an extra in Project Gotham Racing 2 and ended up hitting the shop shelves (to great acclaim).

- According to an MTV News interview with Microsoft execs, Geometry Wars Evolved garnered 200,000 trial downloads since the system's launch, and 45,000 paid downloads of the full product.

So, by that measure, if that kind of sales figure means we see downloadable content hitting the shop shelves as a fleshed out experience I'm hopeful this will lead to more quality being available. Maybe these gems will truly be given their chance to shine.

I never thought about trading in your downloaded stuff. (I've wished I could do it with a few of my VC impulse buys though, lol.) Do you think that will be available then? A way of renting stuff would be cool, on a trial period. On the point of these demo's, you mention there Geo Wars, well now we have Smash Bros. Brawl which is offering demo's of VC games. I think more games should have this because I reckon its a good way to promote the VC software.

To draw another comparison with the VC, I don't think there would be much of an issue with actually "owning" the stuff. I mean, for me, I think its great to just turn on the Wii and have all them channels there to choose from (VC games and Wii channels alike) as well as the Wii/ GC game thats in. So having more virtual software will just expand that and add to the laziness of not having to switch discs!

Demos within titles are definately a good idea. Maybe Brawl will pave the way for other titles with an illustrious history.

It would be good to see some Wiiware demos in future titles too. Or even free Wii points would be nice for completing titles or reaching a certain milestone. (Ala acheivements). It would certainly add a little spice to a title and could even increase sales. If gamers were getting wii points, I could only see increased sales for all concerned.

In regards to trading in a Wii chock full of downloadable content, I don't think the consumer will see any extra benefit from it. It could be a sticky situation. If a store gets a console, will they format it so its clean, or will they put a system full of great wiiware/vc titles in the shop window? It would be unfair for the consumer to own some excellent titles (like Sin and Punishment for £7ish) and not feel the benefit, yet I'm sure that's how it will pan out.

Yet the cautious side of me sees a gamestore worker getting a wii console in with a fridge so full they can't help but swap it out for their own or keeping it for a friend. Best thing is to format it yourself then. I guess physical media will always be worth more.

Sign in to follow this