History B

Maths C

I'm pleased with my results as i tried my hardest and got some good results. :D

My self predictions for my As level subjects:

English literature C

History C

RS B

Psychology A/B

I'm finding As level much harder and feel out of my depth. :)

Annoyingly, if I did all my GCSE's again now, I could get infinitely better results, regardless of how little revision I did.

I'm currently revising for my A-level mocks, and I have been able to conclude that maths mechanics is purely a logic/calculator test....

Warwick

Some REALLY, REALLY good unis!

I lived with a girl who studied Eng Lit here last year. I would estimate she had read perhaps 10 books in her life, all compulsory. If you want to do Eng Lit anywhere, read as much as you can at sixth form, you will kill in the interviews because there are some real dumb-ass kids. And not just English stuff, American, Russian stuff as well.

I'm starting to worry I didn't even get one A and all I see from you lot is AAAAAAAA

>_>

How big is the step-up from GCSE to A level? I mean, I've heard it's huge in subjects such as Chemistry for example?

Srsly, if you're smart and you want to do well, get AAA and go to Oxbridge. No other unis compare if you're serious. If you're not serious, and you like to play video games and watch TV, it really doesn't matter where you go.

Essentially, if you take the GCSE tactic of revising for the last week or two before exams, you will get shat on.

How big is the step-up from GCSE to A level? I mean, I've heard it's huge in subjects such as Chemistry for example?

I dropped chemistry after AS - the A level coursework is famously a complete whore. Most of the people in my year handed it in about 2 weeks back, then slept for the next week. I'm not exaggerating, either...

These are not my results but what i think ill get

Maths: Epic Fail

English: Hopefully C

Science: Hopefully B

IT: Probably Fail

Applied Business: Epic Fail

History: Just Fail For That One :D

Law: C

I was worried about that when doing GCSE's, especially from what i heard about maths.

It is a step, but not that much of a step, it is fairly easy to drop into the state of mind of learning the extra detail (Science stuff for example). However you should get used to coming shit in a few of the exams (Well i have).

Higher Chemistry slides you in gently at first, then after the Christmas holidays I got back to school and it literally broke my neck and fed me to the sharks.

And apparently AS is harder than Higher.

I still got 79% in the prelim, so I'm over it.

I'm starting to worry I didn't even get one A and all I see from you lot is AAAAAAAA

>_>

I didn't get any A's either. Once College told me I needed 5 C's to get in I pretty much stoped caring about GCSE's and got stoned and played Goldeneye every day.

Srsly, if you're smart and you want to do well, get AAA and go to Oxbridge. No other unis compare if you're serious. If you're not serious, and you like to play video games and watch TV, it really doesn't matter where you go.

I want to sit and watch TV, but my parents are making me try for Oxbridge.

I'm hoping they won't be able to timetable my subjects for next year, because I've just signed up for 4 A-Levels (including Chemistry for which I've not done the AS - literally like throwing me into a raging typhoon-ridden sea of delocalised electrons) :shakehead

For my standard grades (GCSE Scottish equiv), I got seven 1s (A*) and one 2 (A, at least I think that's the equiv grades... not sure).

For my Higher (A level equiv?) prelims I got four As and a B. Kinda pissed by my B, but in all my others I got top in year (98.5% for maths, 97% for Accounts, 95% for Physics and 87% for Computing). In English I missed out on an A by four marks, but considering I got a 2 at English at Standard Grade level, I'm pretty happy with that.

Hope to get five As for the real things though!

For my standard grades (GCSE Scottish equiv), I got seven 1s (A*) and one 2 (A, at least I think that's the equiv grades... not sure).

For my Higher (A level equiv?) prelims I got four As and a B. Kinda pissed by my B, but in all my others I got top in year (98.5% for maths, 97% for Accounts, 95% for Physics and 87% for Computing). In English I missed out on an A by four marks, but considering I got a 2 at English at Standard Grade level, I'm pretty happy with that.

Hope to get five As for the real things though!

Standard Grade is easier than GCSE, but not by much. Alot of the girls who came to my school this year (my school just went co-ed) did Standard Grades and they said the leap from Standard Grade to Higher is massive - whereas the leap from GCSE to Higher isn't that big.

Higher is equivalent to AS level.

Is accounts the same as Statistics? (I would have done Higher maths, but I had to do A-Level in order to do Further Maths)

I'm kinda jealous, because if you do get 5 As, its basically a cruise into any Scottish uni (English ones are harder to get into though - since they don't as readily recognise Highers). My sister got 5As in 5th year, then spent every night of 6th year getting drunk with her 3 unconditional offers in hand.

Well I was predicted all A*s, unfortunately they based it rounds CATS and maths results and didn't take my horrible work ethic into consideration:

Maths: A*

Science: AA

English: AB

History: A*

Business studies: B

Theatre studies : B

Spanish: B

Music : B

Standard Grade is easier than GCSE, but not by much. Alot of the girls who came to my school this year (my school just went co-ed) did Standard Grades and they said the leap from Standard Grade to Higher is massive - whereas the leap from GCSE to Higher isn't that big.

Higher is equivalent to AS level.

Is accounts the same as Statistics? (I would have done Higher maths, but I had to do A-Level in order to do Further Maths)

I'm kinda jealous, because if you do get 5 As, its basically a cruise into any Scottish uni (English ones are harder to get into though - since they don't as readily recognise Highers). My sister got 5As in 5th year, then spent every night of 6th year getting drunk with her 3 unconditional offers in hand.

Oh, ok. Any idea what advanced higher is equivalent to? I was thinking of trying for Cambridge for maths - but it seems impossible to get in. I'd need to do three good Advanced Highers and do well in an entrace exam which by the looks of the pasts papers is for people who dedicate their lives to maths and learn extra stuff every night. Ugh...

Accounts is not stats, it's Accountancy and Finance. Preparing Balance Sheets, cash budgts, profit maximisation etc. Really easy... I didn't find the jump from SG to Higher hard. In fact, I'd say Maths, Physics and Accounts are all easier for me in higher (mainly due to teaching for Phy and Acc though...). Just bloody English! That was a horrific leap of standard for me.

Most people seem to do nothing in 6th year, I want to do four advanced highers (and get all As...)

Maths - A*

English Language - A (damn group work)

English Literature - A*

Double science - A*A* (I wish I had had the option of doing triple)

French - A*

Spanish - A*

Electronics - A*

Geography - A*

I dropped chemistry after AS - the A level coursework is famously a complete whore. Most of the people in my year handed it in about 2 weeks back, then slept for the next week. I'm not exaggerating, either...

The OCR Salters chemistry individual investigation (which is the chemistry board at your school) was the single most unpleasant piece of work I have ever had to do in my life, and I expect things will remain that way. When I finished it it was 93 pages long. Note that I am currently studying for a module in chemistry at Cambridge - nothing I have had to do has come anywhere near to that.

On the whole, however, the change from GCSE to A-level isn't always that bad. Maths actually gets interesting though, especially if you do further maths.

English Language - C

English Literature - C

Physics - E

Chemistry - D

Biology - D

Maths - D

I.T. - E

Music - E

History - D

Drama - B

I think I ought to have revised... :blank:

Oh, ok. Any idea what advanced higher is equivalent to? I was thinking of trying for Cambridge for maths - but it seems impossible to get in. I'd need to do three good Advanced Highers and do well in an entrace exam which by the looks of the pasts papers is for people who dedicate their lives to maths and learn extra stuff every night. Ugh...

Have a look at some STEP I papers to see the sort of thing you'd have to do for the entrance exam. (though you'd actually be sitting STEP II and III) They're pretty evil... I reckon if I spent a year studying for them I might scrape a 1,2, but would probably get a 2,2 or worse. The standard offer is either 1,1 or 1,2.

Essentially, if you take the GCSE tactic of revising for the last week or two before exams, you will get shat on.

That's what I did at A level, especially for biology.

On the whole, however, the change from GCSE to A-level isn't always that bad. Maths actually gets interesting though, especially if you do further maths.

Yeah, I actually look forward to Further Maths nowadays.

Stats 2 is unprecedentedly fun (especially after Stats 1 where I had the worst teacher ever for it). I love the normal distribution; actually a pleasure to do questions on it.