NEurope
MadDog

Formula 1 2008

Isn't Donington in worse shape than Silverstone? For one the track must be too short, surely an F1 car could get round in less than a minute. I'm betting the off-track stuff isn't as good either, so wouldn't it be cheaper just to keep it at Silverstone? I'm a bit baffled at this.

Also wouldn't Brands Hatch be a better alternative?

Basically in answer to all your questions yes.

It makes even less sense when you consider in the article they say it will cost more then the improvements Silverstone required would have cost. Bernie and co have had a hard on for removing Silverstone from the calender for years now though, and hes finally got his wish it would appear.

Isn't Donington in worse shape than Silverstone? For one the track must be too short, surely an F1 car could get round in less than a minute. I'm betting the off-track stuff isn't as good either, so wouldn't it be cheaper just to keep it at Silverstone? I'm a bit baffled at this.

Also wouldn't Brands Hatch be a better alternative?

Yeah exactly!

It's f*cked up because it would take even more money to get Donnington into shape than Silverstone, it really makes no sense!

Well apparently this mysterious "private investor" has £100mil to invest, and I suspect probably had a bit more on top of that to stump up front, which the Silverstone management simply didn't. I don't doubt the circuit will be up to a world class standard by 2010, but it's always going to be my hunch that this was about the greens up front. They say Bernie's hard to please, but it's not hard to figure how with enough "investment."

But Donnington is already under going renovation. At Silverstone they would of had to start from scratch.

*Name drop alert*

I was at Donnington for the Moto GP a few weeks ago, they have had to move all the corporate boxes to the first corner and I was in my dad's box when Danny John-Jules (Cat from Red-Dwarf) came in. Apparently a friends of my dad's, interesting! A very nice man must I say!

Anyways by the time the F1 comes to Donnington the new parking would be finished which is a relief since the general admission parking at the moment isn't the best. Overall I'm happy F1 is back at the home of UK racing.

The resemblance to Kryton is uncanny!

I always thought of Quagmire myself. :heh:

What a final qualifying session that was, the Mclaren of Kovalinen and the Red Bull of Mark Webber on the front row.

Excellent effort from Webber there, blustery conditions seem to be catching a few people out. Overall weekend form tending towards the McLarens at the moment, but we'll see what the weather throws up tomorrow. Should be a good race.

We again saw Hamilton blow it in the final qualifying session, he set a high expectation bar after the first season and it just isn't going for him.

It wasn't too bad, just locked up a couple of times in the second sector on his final effort, and we've seen how handy he can be from the second row of the grid. His car seems to be in excellent form as well.

Woo! Kovalainen on pole 8)

I hope he can take it to the finish in first :P

Was at Qualifying today; could see Hamilton fans getting pissed off around me when I was cheering because Kimi out-qualified him, and when Hamilton had his off into the gravel, but hey what ya gonna do!

Congrats to Heikki for his first pole.

Looking forward to race tomorrow, Kimi's in a good position with all 3 of his championship rivals starting behind him!

That was a-bleeding-mazing. A minute and eight. He overlapped where he started from. He's still learning, but surely no one can deny now he's got what it takes. Awesome to see Rubens on the podium too.

Three guys tying for the championship, and Kubica just two behind. Just an amazing season.

Shame he missed out on second place but a points finish, especially a podium is something to be happy about, way to go Rubeans. Hamilton drove amazingly well, he really deserved the win and his critics are silenced yet again. But Ferrari were just awful, lucky to get 4th for Raikonen.

With a 3 way tie for the top with Kubica only 2 points behind makes for a great fight. But now is the turning point for the season, I wonder who will come out on top?

Lucky had nothing to do with it, Kimi dragged his own way back once he finally got shot of those awful tyres. Poor Massa though, had an awful time of it.

I'm glad this happened to Ferrari to be perfectly honest, they really messed up their strategy and should be a wake up call to them.

What the hell was wrong with Massa? He spun like what, 6 times? Raikkonnen did aswell once or twice too. Poor Webber getting himself on the front row then losing it on the first lap.

Has to be said though, Hamilton did a great job. Lapped pretty well everyone, and if what Ron Dennis said is true probably could have lapped the few he didn't if he pushed to the end. Also good to see Rubens on the podium again.

I was at Silverstone for the weekend, had an awesome time. Great to see Hamilton win, he was totally dominant. The best moment was when Hamilton overtook Kovalainen for the lead at the corner I was situated :heh: Really good to see the cars live and got some good pictures as well, definitely worth it!

Angry_Kimi.gif
Yeah, the f*cker stood on all Kimi's race equipment [which you can see on the floor down there] to try and get a photo of him, he deserved it!

I was at the race aswell, stood just after luffield near the pitlane entrance, had a cracking view and saw plenty of spins and overtakes!

Ferrari ruined Kimi's race for him, he really stood a good chance of winning [catching Hamilton at 1 sec a lap before the pitstop], this had better be a wake up call for them!

So at the halfway stage, we effectively start again from scratch! Should be an exciting second half!

David has had his say on who should replace him at Red Bull.

Q: You will leave your Red Bull cockpit after the chequered flag in Brazil. Who do you hope will fill it?

DC: For me Sebastian Vettel has everything that a future winner in Formula One needs. Also his maturity and approach shows me that he is the best man for the job. So I am very confident that he would be able to do a very good job for Red Bull Racing.

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2008/7/8065.html

Vettel could easily end up in a McLaren before too long, he's definitely a rising talent and Mercedes are pushing McLaren hard to sign a German driver.