NEurope
MadDog

Formula 1 2008

These new rules are ridiculous, i hate them.

No refueling? What's all that about?

There ruining F1 :(

The refuelling rule is pretty retarded, and omitting tyre warmers is pretty random, but the rest isn't really much of a big deal. Won't stop me from wachting F1.

With Renault allowed to make engine changes, I think Alonso be a real contender for the title next year.

To be honest, they're overreacting to this credit crunch. When the economy'll recover in 2010 they're going to be sorry.

I honestly can't see how no refuelling can save costs, so it must be an attempt at spicing up the racing. But if like me you quite enjoy the battles in the pit lane, then it doesn't really help!

Also, with no in-season testing [other than Fridays], if you start the season with some car problems [or a bad car in general] then you're a bit screwed really!

Also, if they standardise KERS in 2010 what about all the money spent on KERS R&D for the 2009 units?!! Talk about money wasting!!

OMFG!! I've just fully realised the extent of no in-season testing!! No more going to Silverstone for £15 a day and seeing/photographing the cars up close!! fuck... fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, FUCK!!

These new rules are ridiculous, i hate them.

No refueling? What's all that about?

There ruining F1 :(

Are you fucking kidding me?! Refueling is by far the DUMBEST thing in F1, ever. it basically promotes the whole 'Look, you're faster than the guy ahead of you, but don't risk anything. Wait until he pits and set some fast laps'. It's stupid. What's even worse is how it currently ruins qualifying because the fastest driver on the day won't get it, it's usually the driver with the lightest car.

When did they introduce refuelling? It was in 1994 right? About the same time everyone started claiming that the amount of overtaking was being reduced? Exactly. Cars will still 2-3 stop to get new tyres on but from now on you will see less of the 'trail the car infront until they pit' strategy. Banning refuelling has been asked by F1 fans for YEARS, about time they ban it. Oh. And it also shows which drivers are better are saving fuel over race distance.

All the new rules are bloody brilliant. It's like they've gone on F1 forums and looked at what fans want. Good stuff. Now just fix the point system to how it used to be and i'm happy.

As for the other changes...

In answer to Retro Links comment about how engines must last 3 races but you get 8 a season, well when they test they don't use race engines. yes, mid season testing is gone but there are other oppotunities.

I really hope they don't change the race distances, 90minutes is perfect :)

And you know, the medal system won't go through, which is a shame considering how competitive F1 will be next year. it could actually work really well..just imagine we go to the last race of the season with 4-5 drivers all on 3 wins each, maybe sometime on 4..tense as. Though a better solution would clearly be to change the points to 12,8,6,4,3,2,1. Seven point scoring positions between 18 drivers, sounds fair enough.

All the new rules are bloody brilliant. It's like they've gone on F1 forums and looked at what fans want. Good stuff. Now just fix the point system to how it used to be and i'm happy.
No in-season Silverstone testing!! :cry:

Anyways, yes there is no re-fuelling but they havn't ruelled out tyre changes yet meaning the cars are still gonna be pitting for new tyres!

Surely they're gonna have to make the move towards a single race distance tyre soon because a ban on tyre warmers, yet keeping tyre changes, is just dangerous!!

No in-season Silverstone testing!! :cry:

Anyways, yes there is no re-fuelling but they havn't ruelled out tyre changes yet meaning the cars are still gonna be pitting for new tyres!

Surely they're gonna have to make the move towards a single race distance tyre soon because a ban on tyre warmers, yet keeping tyre changes, is just dangerous!!

They will pit in for tyres but everyone will be on a similar strategy so you won't see some drivers holding everyone up for 15-16 laps until they pit in (I bet Kimi would be happy with that considering how much that affected him this season). It'll be a far more aggressive sports, much more like the days of Senna, Mansell and Piquet. probably the best decision they've ever made actually..

(I bet Kimi would be happy with that considering how much that affected him this season).
haha, you know the right things to say!

Actually it should help Kimi and Ferrari [maybe],

- he's a fast qualifier, so should always rise to the top if everyones running the same fuel loads in qually.

- The Ferrari generally conserves tyres better, so they should be able to stay out that bit longer!

but on the engines front, say you use up 8 in the season, is that it do you think? you're out?

Overall I'm pretty upbeat about the new changes - the new engine regs and banning refueling makes financial sense. I think the compromise they reached on standarised engines seems like the most amicable solution. Not sure why you would ban tyre warmers, I suppose we could have some pretty interesting starts to races as a result.

I think it's interesting that the sport seems to be retracing it's step's to an early nineties style format, but I do want to see the sport move on to fresher pastures when they get together to sort out 2013 and beyond. I do however think paring down the technical side to it will make the sport a lot more accessible to new teams and fans.

My only other hope is that "market research" puts a stop to some of their stranger ideas - that needless medal system in particular.

Please explain how?

One would assume it would mean a reduction in consumption as the focus turns to fuel management in order to survive the full race, as well as a smaller pit crew.

One would assume it would mean a reduction in consumption as the focus turns to fuel management in order to survive the full race, as well as a smaller pit crew.
Well the pit crew are just the mechanics anyway, so they'll all still be there; but yeah maybe a very slight reduction in fuel consumption, but I can't really see it!

They are still doing the same number of laps, sure a few may be less flat out, but it's F1! they should really be flat out the whole race!

It's interesting because now the cars will have a new race distance fuel tank on board, plus a KERS unit! that can't leave much room left to play around with weight balast distribution, to get the car feeling 'right' for the drivers.

Also, they better get their race fuel calculations correct! Wonder how many cars we'll see run out of fuel on the last lap!!

- 2010 - no refuelling - how will that save costs? whether you run with a full tank, or refuel 10 times during a race you are still using the same amount fuel! Unless it's just the money spent on developing/running a refuelling rig?!

this im not at all happy with...it adds so much to the race...as its a chance to see if 2nd can over take the 1st place in the refuelling if he cant get past.

Then theres the mistakes in the pit lane that adds to unpredictable-ness of the race like the fuel hose being stuck etc.

that comes in at 2010...if this does happen i may stop watching it

The refueling thing will promote teams to minimise their usage of fuel, unlike now when the cars go through a tank at an astonishing rate. That said, the point of the ban isn't financial, it's to make cars overtake more.

You know who's going to quick next season? Kimi. Seriously in qualifying he ALWAYS used to go 3-4 laps heavier than everyone else and come in 4th or so. A ban on refueling suggests that in Q3 everyone would go on the same fuel strategy...he is gonna be quick as. Nick Heidfeld too actually.

I really hope they get rid of the race fuel in qualifying if they are banning refuelling. It's bad enough right now when the strategies may be different, if they are all qualifying on the same strategy then it's going to defeat the point of promoting overtaking. Hopefully they will get back to qualifying on vapours.

I'm glad they are banning refueling though, will help no end with on track excitement - much better than who can do the fastest stop excitement. I also hope the medal system comes in in some form or another.

Medals, Yes or No?

First chance to put your opinion across:

http://formula1.com/news/interviews/2008/12/8775.html

Scroll down to vote.

Q: So how will the drivers’ championship be decided?

BE: The title will be awarded to the driver who wins the most gold medals in a season and if there were a tie, the number of silver medals won would be taken into account (and if still tied, it would be decided by bronze medals and so on).

Umm...??

medals? so are the top 8 still getting points or is it just the top 3..with medals.

(just looked at link)

omg they better not do that either what a shite idea

if that medal thing AND no refuelling comes in ill stop watching it...and ive been watching F1 for as long as i can remember

Hey, I can vote more than once, leave it as it is Bernie.
Can you? I can't seem too!

Anyways yeah I voted leave it as it is; especially if they are gonna keep points for the constructors.

medals? so are the top 8 still getting points or is it just the top 3..with medals.

(just looked at link)

omg they better not do that either what a shite idea

Yeah just top 3.

I voted yesterday (Maybe the day before) and I just voted now, though i did clear my browsing history so that might have something to do with it.

You go 'di Montezemolo!!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72524

FOTA hopeful of greater revenue share

Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) chairman Luca di Montezemolo is confident that attempts to secure more money from the sport's commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone will be successful.

FOTA has already made big progress in working with the FIA to reduce costs in the sport, but its next target is to improve the amount of revenue that is distributed among the teams.

Di Montezemolo is making plans to meet with Ecclestone to discuss the matter and, speaking to selected media including autosport.com over lunch at Maranello, he said he felt upbeat about securing a deal.

"I'm quite optimistic," he said. "If we continue to work like this, we can achieve important results. In every company we have to cut costs. But also to increase the revenue.

"We need to work at that and we seek in the future to work it out with Bernie Ecclestone and (F1 owners CVC's Donald) MacKenzie. We have a contract with them until 2012 and we have to work and talk together. As soon as we have finished our plans with cutting the costs for the next three years, we start another book."

Di Montezemolo said that one of the priorities from the talks with Ecclestone will be in getting more transparency in how the sport's commercial income is distributed.

"In terms of revenue, we want to know more about them," he said. "Theoretically, like in other professional sports, like basketball in the USA, we can have a league made by us and appoint a good league manager to run our own business. Because it is our own business.

"We want to know the revenues better so we can decrease the cost of the tickets. Then we have the matter of traditional tracks rather than exotic tracks just because they have a nice skyline. We have to discuss the show. How to promote. I'm not prepared any more to have all this dictated to us by outside without any control."

He added: "I think in one way or another the players have to be more involved in the sport. Do you think it's normal that we don't have even one race in North America? Do you think it's normal that we find out Canada has been dropped by reading the newspaper?

"Do you think it's normal that we see important sponsors that we pay an unbelievable amount of money for hospitality to promote ourselves. Do you think it's normal we can't discuss when our races are held?

"This is not polemic. It is not a game. F1 is my life. We start from the (current financial) crisis, which if it doesn't last long, thank God for the crisis. Because finally it's made us take a step back. It's the only way to go back, to get our feet back on the ground."

FIA president Max Mosley wrote to teams earlier this year saying the governing body would push for teams to get an equal distribution of more of the revenue from the sport - which could end the long-standing arrangement of Ferrari getting a greater percentage of the income owing to their historical importance.

Cheaper tickets, recognising the importance of the traditional tracks...

Seems Luca, and FOTA in general aren't prepared to take Bernie's crap any longer.

I read on the BBC RED BUTTON, that with regards to Bernie, Luca has said that the sport does not need a dictator, and that surely it's getting towards the time that Bernie should think about retiring!

Bernie likes to think of himself as invinceable, but FOTA have been extremely influential on F1 lately, which is fantastic because they [the teams] are what make the sport! and all Bernies offerings are being met with question marks... the medals, all these new middle/far east tracks etc... a few years ago these things would have all gone straight through; but now they are being put to the public vote, or discussed by FOTA first etc...

It's about time the little man was put in his place, he's been too powerful for too long!

Yataa!!