NEurope
Fruitgun

Tales Of Vesperia

Looking good. I thought Symphonia was okay(ish). Battle system was pretty good, but it was painfully generic and every character except Zelos and Sheena was boring.

I'll probably buy this though. :p It's by the Symphonia team isn't it? That would explain why Symphonia 2 looks so crappy, if the B squad is behind it.

This is just plain annoying to me now. 360 Tales game gets fantastic treatment, then look at the Wii version. Not quite fair.

Namco is a love/hate company.

Yes this is is Team Symphonia behing Vesperia...

Looking good. I thought Symphonia was okay(ish). Battle system was pretty good, but it was painfully generic and every character except Zelos and Sheena was boring.

I'll probably buy this though. :p It's by the Symphonia team isn't it? That would explain why Symphonia 2 looks so crappy, if the B squad is behind it.

Some people from the symphonia team are working on this; Tales of Symphonia 2: Dawn of the New World has a new designer also. Both being developed by various experienced guys in tNamco Tales Studio.

If an experienced guys is working on ToS 2, I don't want to know what inexperienced guys are like :heh:

Aslong as this gets an out of Japan release i'll be happy-ish.

If an experienced guys is working on ToS 2, I don't want to know what inexperienced guys are like :heh:

Aslong as this gets an out of Japan release i'll be happy-ish.

Was reading off TOS1 design team...oops. :heh: Seems strange, their pouring all the resources, and team experience into the 360 project. Surely the market for JP RPG's is bigger on the Wii, specifically in Japan?

Seems like, knowing this, their half-assing the Wii project. Knowing that there's a installed fan-base who will purchase the game, whatever the quality; whilst experimenting with the superior hardware of the 360, to create a passionate, fully-fledged game. Doesn't seem fair...

The fact that its coming to the 360 has convinced me to purchase one among other reasons. Its just that damn failure rate that puts me off.

The fact that its coming to the 360 has convinced me to purchase one among other reasons. Its just that damn failure rate that puts me off.

It's irritating, but you won't regret buying one if you do. Mine's majorly failed once - on second 360. But that's only a hiccup. 3 year guarantee for RROD and the recent price drop means there's no better time to get one.

This is just plain annoying to me now. 360 Tales game gets fantastic treatment, then look at the Wii version. Not quite fair.

Namco is a love/hate company.

Yes this is is Team Symphonia behing Vesperia...

To be fair, it wasnt Namco's decision to make the Wii an underpowered budget console. Im sure they are aware that Tales games do sell on Nintendo consoles, and probably would have loved to have Vesperia running on a Wii as well, which is clearly impossible.

To be fair, it wasnt Namco's decision to make the Wii an underpowered budget console. Im sure they are aware that Tales games do sell on Nintendo consoles, and probably would have loved to have Vesperia running on a Wii as well, which is clearly impossible.

Haha what? Even if the Wii is underpowered,it holds no relevance in this arguement. The actual game, not the graphics, looks crap. It's all being half assed by inexperienced folk while Team Symphonia gets paid my Microsoft for a 'Tales of' that won't sell wel in Japan at all since it's a failing console there.

The first ToS on the Cube, which is less powerfull than the Wii, will be better than the sequal in every way including graphics, game mechanics, everything.

I couldn't care less about Vesperia maybe going to the Wii (which it probably wouldn't since it's being funded by MS), it's the point that the game is being half assed and screqwing with fans while the team behind ToS, is making a game that ulimately won't sell well and would make more of a profit if they worked on the ToS sequal.

Trust me with this here, don't start a debate here, cause you won't win :heh:

The first ToS on the Cube, which is less powerfull than the Wii, will be better than the sequal in every way including graphics, game mechanics, everything.

For all we know, this "2nd team" could be full of bright young sparks, with fresh ideas to bring to the franchise. I know it looks pretty awful, but I would reserve judgement until the first previews/ in-depth analysis. I understand your frustration though.

No overworld, side quests are given to you at a guild, you catch monsters to put in your party and make food for them, no anime cutscenes, lack of time being spent on it, rehashed areas and assets.

I'm hardly getting worked up :heh:

No overworld, side quests are given to you at a guild, you catch monsters to put in your party and make food for them, no anime cutscenes, lack of time being spent on it, rehashed areas and assets.

I'm hardly getting worked up :heh:

Let's just hope they nail the story, LMBS ( or whatever it's called), and the character development/portrayal. Seems like it could have a lack of polish and orginality, but if the basics are spot-on, it 'might' be a good follow-on. The anime cutscenes are a bummer; i'm not bothered by the lack of an ugly overworld, and the monster mechanics may be sucessful...

But i'm being optimistic, you may have noticed.:heh:

Anyway, back to this game - lack of any online multiplayer makes me sad:( . Seems like a missed oppurtunity for a current-gen symphonia. I'm not talking about integrating it into the main story (a la co-op), but a stand-alone colliseum-esque mode for duelling and tournaments.

Trust me with this here, don't start a debate here, cause you won't win :heh:

Well i cant really trust someone that reviews a game based on screenshots and a few videos, so ill drop it.

As far as this whole 'moneyhatting' thing:

So MS payed for a high-profile Tales game to bolster its RPG library. Its business, get over it.

Theyre doing what Nintendo could and should be doing with all the money theyre raking in. Good for them, and the results of this 'dirty' deal look amazing.

It helps if you've been following interviews/reading impressions that you get a general idea what it's going to be like since the things that made ToS so good, is getting taken out, i'm not reviewing it at all, it's what's being seen and said.

I know it's buisness, that's obvious. I'm gratefull you pointed it out.

I don't care if they get paid or not by anyone, the Wii version can be much better if they actually put effort into it instead of this...stuff.

Namco says ToS is such a highly claimed game, but they follow it with inexperienced developers and lack of effort.

and probably would have loved to have Vesperia running on a Wii as well, which is clearly impossible.

Really?

To be honest...it looks only a bit better then what Windwaker could pull off.

This game is looking pretty damn nice. But why do you always have to play as a kid in these sort of series'? I'd rather be someone 20-30, just to make it a little er... plausible.

This game is looking pretty damn nice. But why do you always have to play as a kid in these sort of series'? I'd rather be someone 20-30, just to make it a little er... plausible.

lol I know what you mean, would be interesting.

This game is looking too good. I am seriously looking forward to this game. Any idea when it might get released over here?

Actually, the main character; the dude with the Blacky/Blue hair, Yuri, is actually 21, it's just that dumb pink haired girl whose 18... But still, the game does look awesome, and DOG WITH A PIPE.

I will stop eventually :P

Actually, the main character; the dude with the Blacky/Blue hair, Yuri, is actually 21, it's just that dumb pink haired girl whose 18... But still, the game does look awesome, and DOG WITH A PIPE.

I will stop eventually :P

That's just what they say so the hentai isn't illegal.

I like how for DOA they didn't even bother to make up the ages for some of the girls they just put N/A for the ones under 16/18. Gotta love Team Ninja.

I'm looking forward to this, the 360 is sure getting quite a few exclusives JPRG wise. If only a certain fantasy series was on it...

Mixed feelings about it, Rita is hilarious, Yuri is ok and I'm not sure about the other two. The other girl, whatever her name is, sounds a lot like the average JRPG chick. Why couldn't they make another Tear instead. The battle system is ok, what did people complain about again? My only problem was the reversed button layout but I guess that will change for a western release. The graphics didn't look as great as I thought they would be. Is it any better than ToS II at all?

Yeah, I agree the graphics arent that mindblowing and as I said in the 360 discussion Eternal Sonatas visuals are alot better IMO. The game is alot more smoother and fluid than Sonata though.

Can someone give be a quick overview of how the combat works, please?

Can someone give be a quick overview of how the combat works, please?

I would like to but when it comes to the Tales game I usually just over level my characters and then just hammer away with normal attacks and then use a special now and then.

In Symphonia you can map special moves on the pad. So say press right with the special button will do 1 special move while pressing left and the special button will do another. I havent played around much on the demo so I dont know if this option is available.

If you hit the Y button ( think thats the one ) you can bring up a menu mid battle to give you the option of using items.