NEurope
Fruitgun

Tales Of Vesperia

Can someone give be a quick overview of how the combat works, please?

It probably uses the same LMBS as pretty much every other Tales game, tried and tested in other words.

ToS uses LMBS(Linear Motion Battle System), meaning you can move in real time from left to right from the enemy you are targeting. ToA uses FR-LBMS(Flex Range) meaning you can run in every direction by holding a button, but you cannot attack. Don't hold the button and it works like ToS. ToV uses EFR-LBMS(Evolved Flex Range). Don't know what it means but Wiki says it's an improved version of ToA.

Tried the demo yesterday and got my ass whooped by the final boss in the demo.

The graphics are great, especially when in combat but I found the demo a bit confusing because I had no idea what was going on or how to played the game.

This game is the reason why I bought a 360 instead of PS3. Tales of the Abyss is my favourite game ever so I have high hopes for this one.

Over Symphonia? Shocking....

I tried to like Tales of The Abyss, but it fell horribly short of Symphonia for me. Then again, most new Tales games feel like rehashed material now anyway, so it's not really surprising.

Tales of Vespia looks so good, is there any way I could play the american version on a PAL 360? Freeloader, etc? I really can't be arsed waiting for the European release.

Moved your posts guys, if we have a thread for an individual game, try to use it :)

Tales might come out as a multi-region game. And since the Japanese demo had English, you might be able to just import the Japanese version when it comes out....

Famitsu gave this 9/9/9/8 = 35/40.

So that quells my doubts about it being bad.

Famitsu gave this 9/9/9/8 = 35/40.

So that quells my doubts about it being bad.

Since when did Famitsu base their reviews on anything other than hype?

new details

- Cos-Titles are obtained through main story, sub event and mini games

- Attachment are accessories you can equip and they change the appearance as we already know. They are obtained through synthesis, depending on the materials you have. Each character has different attachment and some character even have 10 of them. Keep in mind that Attachment don't have stats boost or anything like that

- You can mix Cos and Acc together, but some combination cant be done

- Some Cos and Acc can be downloaded but they are definitely in the game as well

- The XBox Live list is international, ranking from quickest clear time, highest hits, highest damage, highest mini game points, arena...etc

- All kinds of transportation, boat, airship, flying creature...etc It seems the boat will be used for quite sometime in the game

- The world map is made of 6 continents

- Time and weather change, day, night, dusk, twilight, sunny, raining...etc There are materials and monsters that would only show up at specific time and weather, in addition, different NPC at towns and dialogue at different time and weather. Further, yes more, this also affect story events, one could get this scene during a sunny day but someone else could get the same scene during a rainy night...etc

- Making the same recipe over and over again can produce out a new recipe

- There are three difficulties known so far, and you wont succeed in secret mission if you beat the boss on Easy mode

- The gameplay time is around 50 to 60 hours, longest main scenario in the series supposedly

- After beating the game, you can unlock about half of the achievement then the REAL challenge begins

- Rare weapons, mostly made from synthesis has the Special skill(5 SP in this game), which we all know, its for Hi-ougi. Usually, you need OverLimits Lv3 to do so

- OverLimits Lv4 requires key item, made from synthesis. In fact, lots of key items like moon selector, limits leo(for OverLimits Lv4?) are made through synthesis. Sorcerer Ring this time around, has levels. Lower levels allow to get rid off measly tree and wood, for stuff like gigantic monsters, the path will be blocked til you have a higher level Sorcerer Ring, otherwise it'll be game over before you notice it.

IGN preview up....http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/897/897291p1.html

When is this out in the UK? Can't believe the americans are getting it on Aug 26th!!

The fighting system in ToS is an acquired taste. Tbh, if even after 8 hours you found it messy or "flaily", you might not have been doing it right. I found that after you perfected it, you could pull it off almost as cleanly as a turn-based FF game.

Although I really enjoyed ToS myself, the biggest problem I had with it was that it was far too linear. Every area was locked until you were supposed to get there. It was very much a to b to c to d, with no mixing it up. You had to do everything in the preset order and that took away from the title for me. If that's not a flagged issue this time around, I may be picking this game up :)

The problem with the bare bones Tales series is that they are all so similar and tend to do nothing new from previous games. I really liked Tales games at one point (ToS was the first Tales I played, so loved it), but playing more of them really did show me how similar they were - complete with usually a bad story and similar battle mechanics. The characters are usually fairly one dimensional and the plot twists usually predictable.

I did really like ToS, still do. Just playing a few more Tales games after that felt like I was playing sort of the same game, and I wasn't impressed. I actually put Tales of Legendia (one of the worst RPGs I've played) in the dustbin (I'm not kidding), and just gave up on Abyss, Phantasia and Eternia. Yawn. =/

Similarly, ToS was the first Tales game I played as well but unlike you sheikah, I haven't played any since. So therefore, I'm pretty excited by this! It just LOOKS amazing!

After playing the demo I feel I'm left in the same boat as when I played the Blue Dragon demo. I was initally excited about it, I still am, but when I played the demo I lost some excitement. It's the same thing, it just throws you into the game and you don't know what to expect.

Graphically it reminded me of Eternal Sonata straight away and the fighting style seems pretty cool. If only you know, it didn't throw me into the fights without telling me anything.

First day sales

Tales of Vesperia (360) - 70,000 / 10,000 bundles

Fire Emblem (NDS) - 80,000

Yeh, the screenshots don't look half bad, but guaranteed this game will play near identical to ToS. It's a shame they don't make any real changes in Tales games...just the same old shit churned out again and again. Legendia even took half the voice actors or more from ToS anyway. :p

First day sales

Tales of Vesperia (360) - 70,000 / 10,000 bundles

Fire Emblem (NDS) - 80,000

RPG mania in Japan then ey :awesome:

10,000 bundles is pretty good actually...If they made more of the bundles they would have easily sold more tbh...should have made it 20,000 tbh. Sales of the game are always nice but they should have aimed for WAY more hardware, considering this was a pretty big exclusive. Interesting to see the total amount of 360's sold though and how long they remain that high.

More than 106,000 copies sold this week in japan.

first week

Tales of Vesperia: 106,421

Blue dragon: 83,086

Lost odyssey: 56,251

eternal sonata: 47,460

Elder scroll 4: 44,017

final fantasy XI: 9,102

Tales of Vasperia has the best first week of any in japan released RPG sinse the launch of the 360 in japan.

The 360 also shipped 25 000 pieces of hardware this week.

Now this is a pretty cheeky idea even if it is a little stupid I mean when you buy an RPG you expect to do a little grinding here and there.

Once again taking a page out of the PC MMORPG playbook, Namco Bandai is pulling out the DLC. Previously, Namco Bandai made mountains of cash with the DLC for Xbox 360 exclusive THE iDOLM@STER by selling various outfits and accessories for the virtual pop idols and doing it endlessly. This time around, the company is offering more than weapons and armor. Instead of grinding through to level up, the game's DLC will let players buy their leveling up. Need extra gald in-game currency? Buy that, too! Here's a short sample:

LV Up +10 (1) 300 Microsoft Points

LV Up +5 (1) 200 Microsoft Points

300,000 Gald (1) 300 Microsoft Points

Skill sets 80 Microsoft Points

HP Recovery Cuisine Recipe Set 100 Microsoft Points

Damn you Namco! Send us Vesperia NOOWWW!!

I'm hoping this'll be region-free so I can order the special edition. I have a thing about ordering special editions, I even get them when I don't realise; Super Smah Bros. Brawl being an example of that :P.

ANYWAY, I'm really looking forward to this, and I need it nooowww!

And, all this stuff about a demo, there isn't one on yet... Is there?

Damn you Namco! Send us Vesperia NOOWWW!!

I'm hoping this'll be region-free so I can order the special edition. I have a thing about ordering special editions, I even get them when I don't realise; Super Smah Bros. Brawl being an example of that :P.

ANYWAY, I'm really looking forward to this, and I need it nooowww!

And, all this stuff about a demo, there isn't one on yet... Is there?

Just create a Jap or US account on your 360 and you will have access to the demo.

I want to import this aswell or just pick it up when I go to America, but just dunno if it's region free or not :heh: