NEurope
Daft

PSN and Home Thread

Ps3_playstationhome_logo.jpg

I didn't see a thread for this and I thought it merited one. I know, the fact that the "h" isn't capitalised is driving me nuts but I reckon this is going to be pretty big and, along with Little Big Planet, its one of the things I'm most excited about this year for the PS3.

Here are some new leaked images:

screenshot_193442.jpg

screenshot_193431.jpg

screenshot_193435.jpg

What's everyone else's thoughts on home? I'm mainly looking forward to its interaction with games, like with Uncharted and Warhawk. I'm a big fan of achievement points on the 360 and I'd love to see something like it replicated in home but with home having the potential to take the whole idea a lot further.

Warhawk @ home

Uncharted @ home

Resistance @ home

Also some videos:

I'd hate it. I'm not really the sort of person who likes the interaction like that...

It's really cool though. A good step for Sony and has the potential to be big.

What's everyone else's thoughts on home? I'm mainly looking forward to its interaction with games, like with Uncharted and Warhawk. I'm a big fan of achievement points on the 360 and I'd love to see something like it replicated in home but with home having the potential to take the whole idea a lot further.

Im really looking forward to it. I dont care much for interacting with people but like you im a big fan of the Achievement system on the 360 and I cant wait for Sony to get the Trophy system up and running.

I'm looking forward to it, looks like alot of fun.

Is there any sort date yet? 3/4 quarter?

I think home will be a major point in PS3's battle against Live. People who don't like social gaming complain about it, but it will have menus etc to easily hope around between the sections which I think will mean people who want a more streamlined menu driven experience. Personally I am looking forward to the arcade area stuff and the new achievement system (i hate to admit it but this will help drive PS3 sales of multiplatform games where the PS3 version is better because at the moment people don't want to miss out on 360 achievements)

When is this out? It's so cool that you have your own apartment etc..

I think home will be a major point in PS3's battle against Live. People who don't like social gaming complain about it, but it will have menus etc to easily hope around between the sections which I think will mean people who want a more streamlined menu driven experience. Personally I am looking forward to the arcade area stuff and the new achievement system (i hate to admit it but this will help drive PS3 sales of multiplatform games where the PS3 version is better because at the moment people don't want to miss out on 360 achievements)

Points > trophies.

I already have 23K gamerscore, why would i stop now?

Points > trophies.

Points = ironically pointless.

I like Achievements, but Gamerscore has and always will be rubbish. I'd much rather receive a trinket, such as a virtual figurine or hat, than 20 points.

As for Home as a whole, I really like the idea although I'm thoroughly aware it could well turn out to be a complete abomination. I'm fairly hopeful it won't, though; eventually, anyway.

Yes, but.

Home will have loading times, home will take alot longer to load than the blades or dash menu.

Sure, its a pretty little interface, but at the end of the day. Whats easier, pressing the guide button, selecting the user and hitting compare games or loading up the XMB, waiting for Home to load, going into your apartment, then going to your friends, then their trophy room. All with loading/connection/download times.

I'm sure home will be nice and full of ads, but a cool little hang out at the same time. But i'd rather have something quick to look at, even if it is only a number.

We don't even know you can't compare games with people yet in the XMB or anything. We don't know much at all.

Okay, i'll reserve my judgements. Hell i'm hoping for a really big overhaul of the XMB in the future.

I love its style, but its simplicity is a weak point as well as a good thing.

Home will have loading times, home will take alot longer to load than the blades or dash menu.

It's quicker to eat a digestive than a chocolate fudge cake.

But seriously, I never compare Achievements with anyone, and I don't expect anyone to look at mine. For me they're a personal thing, something to aim for that can give a pleasing sense of accomplishment. However, if I can go and look at someone's room that's full of little models or trophies then that's far more interesting to me; it's a bit like the 'post your room' thread, in a way. It's similar to visiting other villages in Animal Crossing: a large part of the fun is seeing what special furniture and ornaments other players have and asking where they got them.

As I said, the whole thing could go horribly wrong, but if it's well supported then I think Home could be a fantastic sideline attraction to playing 'proper' PS3 games.

I'm sort of interested in it, I'd probably use it for about 5 minutes and then never look again. I can see the attraction, and think it will be a big thing for PS3, but I'm more interested in a better XMB. I want to be able to view friends and messages no matter what I'm doing.

I'm sort of interested in it, I'd probably use it for about 5 minutes and then never look again. I can see the attraction, and think it will be a big thing for PS3, but I'm more interested in a better XMB. I want to be able to view friends and messages no matter what I'm doing.

yeah its annoying coming out of a game to see what someone is doing after it tells you that they have signed in....

I'm liking the look of this. I don't know how long the appeal will last but it looks lush.

This does look like quite a good move by Sony, but honestly who will have the time to spend in this sort of world. Most people buy consoles to play games on, but there will be a few people who will spend a lot of time in this world.

If Sony did this right, then it would have mass appeal for a while then it would slowly ease off to a steady number of users using this.

Marathon quoting post ahead...

Points > trophies.

I already have 23K gamerscore, why would i stop now?

There are both just ways of showing off so called gaming prowess whats the difference?

Yes, but.

Sure, its a pretty little interface, but at the end of the day. Whats easier, pressing the guide button, selecting the user and hitting compare games or loading up the XMB, waiting for Home to load, going into your apartment, then going to your friends, then their trophy room. All with loading/connection/download times.

I'm sure home will be nice and full of ads, but a cool little hang out at the same time. But i'd rather have something quick to look at, even if it is only a number.

If you look at this movie;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVOmhfueaAk&eurl=http://www.psu.com/Leaked-details-on-PlayStation-Home-Beta-News--a0002930-p0.php

its shows the home PSP being used to quickly find online games etc...who knows we may see a similar update to the XMB...so also perhaps other functions such as comparing can be done who know...its hard to tell...

We don't even know you can't compare games with people yet in the XMB or anything. We don't know much at all.

Exactly...

Okay, i'll reserve my judgements. Hell i'm hoping for a really big overhaul of the XMB in the future.

I love its style, but its simplicity is a weak point as well as a good thing.

good to hear it :heh: (I think to be honest that is all we can do)

I'm liking the look of this. I don't know how long the appeal will last but it looks lush.

I think constantly new features/areas will be needed to keep it fresh...but social networking/gaming people will lap it up...

I realise I may be missing the point, but couldnt you just like you know play 2nd life if this was your bag.

You can create your own appartment? I hope I can recreate a victorian terrace groundfloor flat. I hate modern architecture.