NEurope
DiemetriX

Wii Freeloader Thread - FAQ & Info in First Post

It's going to be a long day, I only get home until 9 and have to work on a project at university all afternoon.

I have another 5 hours to see if my game appears today, for one thing the post doesn't even arrive till 4:30pm!

I'm practically begging for it to be at my place...

Mine should arrive within 2 hours...if god loves me, it'll be just as Quantum Leap ends :p and not before where it'll be sitting taunting me

Gonna pimp 365games a little bit here, though I've not had any experience with them, you can get the game and Wiiloader for £40 from them, and for delivery(though I dunno what kind of delivery) to the EU it's only £3, so you're looking at £43 delivered from them, but as I said I have no idea what their EU delivery will be like as there's no estimates for EU and that. It appears they ship from the UK though. The other more overseas(like VG+) companies might offer a better deal for you though. Yes Asia offer 'Free Shipping to Anywhere in the World' but they only sell Brawl and not the Freeloader, with Brawl current sitting at ~£29 from them. They estimate 6-12 business days for shipping, though there's some issue with Tax with them that I don't understand. Apparently they'll pay UK and German tax, but I don't see where it crops up, I think it's only if you get charged tax by customs?

To put it simply though, some of the other guys probably know better than me.

EDIT:You know, I wrote this the other night but then stopped as I saw Ashley say he was gonna do one, and hence I don't have the GC section done, but regardless, I decided I might as well post it cos...well, cos I already made the effort to do it! I might as well not waste that. So, for anyone who cares, a short guide to the Wiiloader by a man who doesn't have one...yet.

Wiiloader Guide

First things first, where to buy? The Wiiloader should cost £9.99, and can be bought from CodeJunkies direct(not recommended, as they seemed to do a crap job of getting them out compared to other companies, and their shipping isn’t the best price). GameSeek, VG+, 365games(Can get in a package with brawl for £40, free 3-5 day shipping to variety of regions AND claimed same day dispatch too). 365games offer other postage, such as 1st class for £2, Recorded for £4, and Next Day for £6. Free delivery to Aus, USA, Canada, or NZ, £3 to EU/NI, £4 rest of world. When buying a Wiiloader, ensure that it is one designed for PAL consoles, as there is a different version for each console region. I keep pimping 365games, but I’ve not used them, it’s just that they seem to offer the best deal I’ve seen.

Display

Before you consider the Wiiloader, make important note of this overlooked fact – your games will be designed to play in 60Hz. As a result, you MUST go into the Wii settings and change the display to 480i or 480p, if your TV can’t display 60Hz, forget get a Wiiloader, or get a new TV. Most TVs since the late 90s are 60Hz capable. It should be easy to test regardless, set the setting in your wii and if a game plays fine, it should be fine. Alternatively, load up SSBM and hold down B while it’s loading up, and you’ll get a prompt to run in 60Hz. If you select yes and the picture goes funny, your TV can’t handle 60Hz. If you don't have SSBM or another 60Hz compatible GC game, I can't offer much other advise on how to test your TV, go ask at a tech forum or read the manual.

The next issue with display is your wii’s AV cable, there’s reports it does not work correctly with an RGB cable(displaying with red tint), but is fine with composite. THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED AS AN ISSUE. Nobody seems to know why it happens, but there’s a few supposed solutions;

1. Composite is reported to work fine, so just get out your original cable that came with the Wii(the one with Yellow Red and White RCAs and a scart block) and use that.
  2. Apparently if you stick the RGB scart into a non-RGB scart capable socket, it acts as composite and will work fine. If your TV has more than one socket, apparently only one is usually RGB/can be set to RGB. I’ll be honest though, this is way out of my territory, and I don’t guarantee any of the other sockets definitely working/not working.
  3. If you’ve got a nice shiny newish TV and want that slightly crisper picture and all that, get yourself a component cable(it’s got like 5 RCAs on it, RGB and L/R audio, I believe). I’ve heard this works fine too.

Wiiloader

So, you’ve ordered your wiiloader and a shiny new wii game due to the other regions getting a better version than you/getting the game before you even have a release date eh? I’m writing this without my own, but collecting info reported by those that have it. Probably, you’re wanting to play Brawl, and I don’t blame you one bit! The Wiiloader is simple to use, the delightful Domstercool of N-Europe

of Freeloader and NMH to help you all out. For reference though, you should proceed as follows for Wii games(the standard bootup method).

1. Turn on Wii, insert Wiiloader. ‘Bars’ roll across the screen from the right hand side, they aren’t really bars though, more a visual smudge of your Wii menu.
  2. Eject the Wiiloader.
  3. Insert Disc you wish to play, the disc channel should register it and you should be able to play it. With Brawl at least, however, this will not necessarily be enough…

Brawl(and numerous other Wii discs) come with firmware updates on the Disc, and the Wiiloader totally bypasses the automatic update of the console from the disc, one can assume this was in order to prevent discs forcing anti-wiiloader firmware upon you. However, it has been confirmed that the update on a US brawl disc will not do a 3.2E Firmware Wii any harm(in the majority of cases that is, see disclaimer at end of guide before following anything here). If you wish to check your wii’s current firmware version, go into the settings. As said, this is confirmed to work from 3.2E, but I do not know if updating from an older version will work. It may be worth updating your wii to 3.2E before letting the wii take things over, if you haven’t already. Note that this bit’ll become redundant after the next official firmware release. Anyhoo, I digress, To re-allow import discs to update your wii(such as Brawl, in order to play), proceed as follows.

1. Turn on Wii, insert Wiiloader. ‘Bars’ roll across.
  2. Eject Wiiloader.
  3. RE-INSERT Wiiloader disc, ‘bars’ roll twice once more.
  4. Eject Wiiloader once more.
  5. Insert Brawl disc. Allow it to update Wii, once done, turnoff/reset Wii.
  6. Insert Wiiloader, Bars roll.
  7. Insert Brawl and have an experience you will never forget.

When playing Brawl in future, you only have to use the first method of inserting the Wiiloader once. If you’re having problems with Brawl, check your display settings and make sure it’s set to 480i or 480p, and that your TV doesn’t suck.

Wiiloader and Gamecube games

This is where the Wiiloader falls short. It currently seems a bit unpredictable around gamecube games, in that it plays some, half plays others, and doesn’t play any at all. Games reported to not play so far are gonna be listed if and when I can stop being lazy/someone else doesn't do it.

As anyone who read it can see, it isn't perfect, as I don't have a Wiiloader, and I also suck when it comes to the display differences, but if anyone sees something incorrect in it, do please let me know! Also, thanks to everyone in this thread despite my earlier irrateness, as it's you guys who helped provide the info.

Thats an excellent piece mate and thanks for sharing it with us. It should really help some of us out. Could we maybe get a list together of compatible GC games? Maybe make a thread in the GC section for people to post their own games that have been tested. Then keep editing the list on the first post with the games that do/don't work?

Post gets here between 10am-2pm so it could come whenever. I'm expecting another Freeloader too that definitely should come as I paid for 1st class and it was dispatched two days ago.

Just got back from the gym and.......SMASH IS HERE!!!!!!! ( ordered from VGP )

Shame im on 2-10 shift so I wont start playing it tonight. This is going to be a killer shift for me at work knowing that its sitting at home waiting for me :(

Just got back from the gym and.......SMASH IS HERE!!!!!!! ( ordered from VGP )

Shame im on 2-10 shift so I wont start playing it tonight. This is going to be a killer shift for me at work knowing that its sitting at home waiting for me :(

Call in sick. Its Smash :p

Jordon I see your last.fm you got the Smash sound track. Where did you get it from?

I can't remember now, theres probably a torrent flying around if know the right place...

[Obligatory: Jordan does not agree with warez]

I was off sick for Halo 3, really was sick, well for the 1st day then rest I just thought sod it and played online with Caris, methinks people will start to ask questions :)

I can't remember now, theres probably a torrent flying around if know the right place...

[Obligatory: Jordan does not agree with warez]

Haha righto ;)

Ive got £35 going in my account later, so I could order another game. Its either gonna be no more heroes or dragon quest. Which 1 is meant to be better? Im leaning towards Dragon Quest more since Im aan akira toriyama/DBZ fan, and like blue dragon on the 360

Does VGP come by another post service. We got our post and I didn't get Brawl :(

Gonna pimp 365games a little bit here, though I've not had any experience with them, you can get the game and Wiiloader for £40 from them, and for delivery(though I dunno what kind of delivery) to the EU it's only £3, so you're looking at £43 delivered from them, but as I said I have no idea what their EU delivery will be like as there's no estimates for EU and that. It appears they ship from the UK though. The other more overseas(like VG+) companies might offer a better deal for you though. Yes Asia offer 'Free Shipping to Anywhere in the World' but they only sell Brawl and not the Freeloader, with Brawl current sitting at ~£29 from them. They estimate 6-12 business days for shipping, though there's some issue with Tax with them that I don't understand. Apparently they'll pay UK and German tax, but I don't see where it crops up, I think it's only if you get charged tax by customs?

To put it simply though, some of the other guys probably know better than me.

EDIT:You know, I wrote this the other night but then stopped as I saw Ashley say he was gonna do one, and hence I don't have the GC section done, but regardless, I decided I might as well post it cos...well, cos I already made the effort to do it! I might as well not waste that. So, for anyone who cares, a short guide to the Wiiloader by a man who doesn't have one...yet.

Wiiloader Guide

First things first, where to buy? The Wiiloader should cost £9.99, and can be bought from CodeJunkies direct(not recommended, as they seemed to do a crap job of getting them out compared to other companies, and their shipping isn’t the best price). GameSeek, VG+, 365games(Can get in a package with brawl for £40, free 3-5 day shipping to variety of regions AND claimed same day dispatch too). 365games offer other postage, such as 1st class for £2, Recorded for £4, and Next Day for £6. Free delivery to Aus, USA, Canada, or NZ, £3 to EU/NI, £4 rest of world. When buying a Wiiloader, ensure that it is one designed for PAL consoles, as there is a different version for each console region. I keep pimping 365games, but I’ve not used them, it’s just that they seem to offer the best deal I’ve seen.

Display

Before you consider the Wiiloader, make important note of this overlooked fact – your games will be designed to play in 60Hz. As a result, you MUST go into the Wii settings and change the display to 480i or 480p, if your TV can’t display 60Hz, forget get a Wiiloader, or get a new TV. Most TVs since the late 90s are 60Hz capable. It should be easy to test regardless, set the setting in your wii and if a game plays fine, it should be fine. Alternatively, load up SSBM and hold down B while it’s loading up, and you’ll get a prompt to run in 60Hz. If you select yes and the picture goes funny, your TV can’t handle 60Hz. If you don't have SSBM or another 60Hz compatible GC game, I can't offer much other advise on how to test your TV, go ask at a tech forum or read the manual.

The next issue with display is your wii’s AV cable, there’s reports it does not work correctly with an RGB cable(displaying with red tint), but is fine with composite. THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED AS AN ISSUE. Nobody seems to know why it happens, but there’s a few supposed solutions;

1. Composite is reported to work fine, so just get out your original cable that came with the Wii(the one with Yellow Red and White RCAs and a scart block) and use that.
  2. Apparently if you stick the RGB scart into a non-RGB scart capable socket, it acts as composite and will work fine. If your TV has more than one socket, apparently only one is usually RGB/can be set to RGB. I’ll be honest though, this is way out of my territory, and I don’t guarantee any of the other sockets definitely working/not working.
  3. If you’ve got a nice shiny newish TV and want that slightly crisper picture and all that, get yourself a component cable(it’s got like 5 RCAs on it, RGB and L/R audio, I believe). I’ve heard this works fine too.

Wiiloader

So, you’ve ordered your wiiloader and a shiny new wii game due to the other regions getting a better version than you/getting the game before you even have a release date eh? I’m writing this without my own, but collecting info reported by those that have it. Probably, you’re wanting to play Brawl, and I don’t blame you one bit! The Wiiloader is simple to use, the delightful Domstercool of N-Europe

of Freeloader and NMH to help you all out. For reference though, you should proceed as follows for Wii games(the standard bootup method).

1. Turn on Wii, insert Wiiloader. ‘Bars’ roll across the screen from the right hand side, they aren’t really bars though, more a visual smudge of your Wii menu.
  2. Eject the Wiiloader.
  3. Insert Disc you wish to play, the disc channel should register it and you should be able to play it. With Brawl at least, however, this will not necessarily be enough…

Brawl(and numerous other Wii discs) come with firmware updates on the Disc, and the Wiiloader totally bypasses the automatic update of the console from the disc, one can assume this was in order to prevent discs forcing anti-wiiloader firmware upon you. However, it has been confirmed that the update on a US brawl disc will not do a 3.2E Firmware Wii any harm(in the majority of cases that is, see disclaimer at end of guide before following anything here). If you wish to check your wii’s current firmware version, go into the settings. As said, this is confirmed to work from 3.2E, but I do not know if updating from an older version will work. It may be worth updating your wii to 3.2E before letting the wii take things over, if you haven’t already. Note that this bit’ll become redundant after the next official firmware release. Anyhoo, I digress, To re-allow import discs to update your wii(such as Brawl, in order to play), proceed as follows.

1. Turn on Wii, insert Wiiloader. ‘Bars’ roll across.
  2. Eject Wiiloader.
  3. RE-INSERT Wiiloader disc, ‘bars’ roll twice once more.
  4. Eject Wiiloader once more.
  5. Insert Brawl disc. Allow it to update Wii, once done, turnoff/reset Wii.
  6. Insert Wiiloader, Bars roll.
  7. Insert Brawl and have an experience you will never forget.

When playing Brawl in future, you only have to use the first method of inserting the Wiiloader once. If you’re having problems with Brawl, check your display settings and make sure it’s set to 480i or 480p, and that your TV doesn’t suck.

Wiiloader and Gamecube games

This is where the Wiiloader falls short. It currently seems a bit unpredictable around gamecube games, in that it plays some, half plays others, and doesn’t play any at all. Games reported to not play so far are gonna be listed if and when I can stop being lazy/someone else doesn't do it.

As anyone who read it can see, it isn't perfect, as I don't have a Wiiloader, and I also suck when it comes to the display differences, but if anyone sees something incorrect in it, do please let me know! Also, thanks to everyone in this thread despite my earlier irrateness, as it's you guys who helped provide the info.

Thanks so much for that. I've integrated it into what I wrote.

I have edited the first post of this page to contain all the info I was going to have as a seperate thread, but its best to just keep it under one roof

Does VGP come by another post service. We got our post and I didn't get Brawl :(

That totally bites man :/

Post still yet to arrive...

Nope, its main post... still that sucks.

Mine didn't come either sadly good news is we can be pretty much 100% we shall get it tomorrow if people are getting it today

Mine also did not come :(

Bloody postman :(

Do notice that us in the South have to wait but the guys in the North got it today :(

I DEMAND CIVIL WAR

This really does show the inconsitencies of the postal service in this country...

Serebii, if it makes you feel any better, i've probably not got it here. But then again i'm as far North as you can get.

This really does show the inconsitencies of the postal service in this country...

Serebii, if it makes you feel any better, i've probably not got it here. But then again i'm as far North as you can get.

Yeah but still, I take the risk of nobody being home to collect it if they dont just get posted through the letterbox tomorrow :(

I really wanted it today

Hmm, everytime I order from VGP they usually come saturday or mon. Don't know how some people thought they would get it yesterday :o bit pushing it there :P

my order smash has not come from vg plus yet it was posted monday,

typical i have a spare freeloader and no smash to sell it with, lol

Hmm, everytime I order from VGP they usually come saturday or mon. Don't know how some people thought they would get it yesterday :o bit pushing it there :P

Because its Smash dammit :(

I'm gonna go cry lol