NEurope
mike-zim

Politically Correct?

They can try and enforce all of this Political Correctness all the want i'm still gonna call old people old, still gonna call fat people fat, the blokes in the kebab shop turks and so on. If you take offence to this you are either one of the above or a liar cause everything says these things

still gonna call far people fat

You'll look a bit silly if once they get close it turns out it was just a trick of the light.

I hear this word so often it makes me sick. What is this world coming to the a basic discription of something like a "black board" or "white board" is incorrect. it is simple ones colour is black the others colour is white. but now they have to be called chalk boards and dry wipe boards.

old fire signs used to have a diagram of a white figure running through a green door. now it is a green figure running through a white door.

What is going to be next. every pack of cards must be burnt because there are black suits? they will be replaced with cards that have green clubs and spades?

the newest thing is that christmas lights must now be called winter lights so we dont offend anyone of another religion.

i think PC causes more problems then resolutions.

i want to know what you guys think.

has it gone too far, what rediculous changes do you know of?

has it not gone far enough, what changes would you like to see made?

There's a lot of posts here and I'm lazy :P so just replying to the original post.

It's ridiculous how they are supposed to be called winter lights so other religions aren't offended, no one seems to care about offending Christians do they? To be honest it's racist against Christianity. Christmas is a Christian festival but everyone celebrates it anyway - but that's no excuse for making it less Christian.

Christmas is Christmas and the people in charge of saying what is politically correct need to get a slap in the face to bring them to their senses.

Freedom of speech is fatally flawed in the sense that it doesnt actually exist anymore, for everything that is remotely different or evocative, there will always be someone that disagrees and will try to stop it.

And the christmas thing with the councils, WTF?? hypocrytical idiots, ethnic groups are fighting to have their religious holidays recognised and bitch about this countries own heritage and traditions, im not white (i have have mediterranean looks :wink: ), but the idea that we live in a multi-cultural society is rubbish, this country is being pushed to the edge of its limits, i dont think the government can appease everyone for much longer

They can try and enforce all of this Political Correctness all the want i'm still gonna call old people old, still gonna call fat people fat, the blokes in the kebab shop turks and so on. If you take offence to this you are either one of the above or a liar cause everything says these things

That doesn't make you 'politically incorrect', it makes you a racist ****.

what i dont understand is why immigrants come to england and tell us to take our lights down when its not their country. they should just respect christianity and be glad they can live here

what i dont understand is why immigrants come to england and tell us to take our lights down when its not their country. they should just respect christianity and be glad they can live here

I'm certain most of them come here only to tell us things like that.

send them back home if they dont like it to be honest. I'm sorry but that's my opinion. If you're offended by the culture and religions here then go back to your own country or just respect other people's religions and shut the hell up.

We have loadsa Xmas Decorations up cos we sell em!! HAHAHA.....We were told that we shouldnt hav this thing up cos it was near a light, but Alan (my boss) said to sod what the electrician said, so I had to put it back up, haha!!

We have loadsa Xmas Decorations up cos we sell em!! HAHAHA.....We were told that we shouldnt hav this thing up cos it was near a light

Oh those immgrants, just blame it on the immigrants! They're always putting up other people's decorations near lights!

send them back home if they dont like it to be honest. I'm sorry but that's my opinion. If you're offended by the culture and religions here then go back to your own country or just respect other people's religions and shut the hell up.

I'm offended by you. Explain to me how you think you can just deport people on a whim please.

Its a bit racist to say, "Fuck off from whence you came!"

Especially when many off these chaps may have been born in the UK. Its ridiciulous that traditions should be overturned becuase of a handful of ignorent people. I for one wont ever be calling Christmas "winterfest" in my lifetime, nor will many other people, so chill it.

Also, the reason why companies call Christmas lights "winter lights" is probably thye can sell their product to a wider audience this way. Wider audience = greater profit.

Ker-ching $$

its racist to call pakistani people pakis, but its plain idiocy to call indians pakis

So on the same basis is calling an australian and ausi racist?

Thats just the point though, I don't think any of them do really complain. The same as no African American person has ever complained that blackboards are called blackboards - and no caucasian person has ever resented being called 'white'.

All these politically correct phrases are thought up by unrelated third parties without the person they think is being offended even caring.

I think it's more because "Paki" is used as a catch-all by some people for all Middle Eastern nationalities. Hence why you get some idiots who refer to the Bindi that Hindu women wear as a "Paki Dot".

Thats just the point though, I don't think any of them do really complain. The same as no African American person has ever complained that blackboards are called blackboards - and no caucasian person has ever resented being called 'white'.

All these politically correct phrases are thought up by unrelated third parties without the person they think is being offended even caring.

That's exactly what I think.

But that's different because the word paki has a derogatory feel to it these days.

What a load of bollocks.

How can you force people to use Xmas instead of Christmas? It's eroding culture. It'd be like telling Kalahari tribespeople (not tribesmen) to cover up their boobs and wangs so tourists don't get offended. Or getting those of the Hindu faith to not wear a Bindi so little kids don't stare at them. It's there for a bloody reason.

Surely we're intellligent enough to understand some people are DIFFERENT and that we seem just as weird and kooky to them.

Get the hell over it. There's political correctness, and then there is total crap. Blackboards being called chalkboards? Bugger off.......if 'black people' are offended they can change their name. White people dont like the name 'whiteboard'? - call yourself 'person of a colour somewhere between beige and olive' instead of making the rest of humanity change their dictionaries.

Seriously people, there's more pressing issues, ie: todays crossword in the daily rag.

Paki is used as a generalisation. Aussie is like calling an American a 'Yankee'. It doesn't carry the kind of connotation that 'Paki' does. Although it's probably less offensive than other racial tags (wog, bubble, chink, etc). If you got someone who studies linguistics in here they'd probably be able to tell you how the above terms are harsher and more likely to be used in a derogatory manner as opposed to 'Aussie', 'Yankee' etc....

Our freedom of speech is being taken away on this forum by people accusing us for being racist for calling people paki's. Good god get in the real world everyone does it and if you say you don't you're a bloody liar

Our freedom of speech is being taken away on this forum by people accusing us for being racist for calling people paki's. Good god get in the real world everyone does it and if you say you don't you're a bloody liar

Well, I for one, can truly say that I don't and I'm not a liar.

Plus, it's got nothing to do with your freedom of speech on this forum. Read the rules, you have no freedom of speech.

Last I heard they changed Gingerbread Man to Gingerbread Person because apparently it offends women. What women? Who are they? Where are they? I never actually see any evidence of people actually complaining about these things. It seems like a bunch of people with nothing better to do, thinking of things that could potentially offend a small minority, just so they can change it. The day I can get arrested for saying 'Black board' is the day I might actually give a shit.

I don't call people "paki", because I'm A) not a liar, and B) not a pathetic racist ****.

they know the UK and Ireland is of Christian religion, so they take it in. Some of them even celebrate Chrimbo.

the uk is not a christian country. the only time the majority of our population do anything remotely christian is at christmas and easter, but only out of tradition. more people care about wether or not they'll get their hands on an xbox 360 than about the tales and adventures of jesus christ on christmas day. christianity is undoubtedly most prominent, but that doesn't make us a christian country; much in the same way that even though cadbury's is more popular than nestle, we are not a cadbury's country.

just wondering, is it racist for white people to call each other nigger? because my friends and i all do it in a kind of faux-gangster way, is that okay? i've never really thought about it before so i was wondering if any black members could give me their opinions.

just wondering, is it racist for white people to call each other nigger? because my friends and i all do it in a kind of faux-gangster way, is that okay? i've never really thought about it before so i was wondering if any black members could give me their opinions.

Believe it or not, there's a big section about this on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger#.22Nigger.22_versus_.22nigga.22:_the_new_revisionism