NEurope
mike-zim

Politically Correct?

I hear this word so often it makes me sick. What is this world coming to the a basic discription of something like a "black board" or "white board" is incorrect. it is simple ones colour is black the others colour is white. but now they have to be called chalk boards and dry wipe boards.

old fire signs used to have a diagram of a white figure running through a green door. now it is a green figure running through a white door.

What is going to be next. every pack of cards must be burnt because there are black suits? they will be replaced with cards that have green clubs and spades?

the newest thing is that christmas lights must now be called winter lights so we dont offend anyone of another religion.

i think PC causes more problems then resolutions.

i want to know what you guys think.

has it gone too far, what rediculous changes do you know of?

has it not gone far enough, what changes would you like to see made?

Hmmm yeah I see that happen alot too. Maybe I'll come up with an example too in a minute. But it seems so stupid. And there always will be at least one person who wont like something.

Okay heres one but its a small one.

I do photography...and its nice to have a border around yer pictures. Say 10 people love my unique border style, yet one doesnt...and I change it just for that one person.

Okay new border style, 25 people liek it now, but again one person doesnt. So I change it again...well ya get the point i think...

You cant please everyone, but to avoid trouble, they will change things anyway cause they just wanna make these peopel shut up.

Okay heres one. In Holland we celebrate something called "Sinterklaas" or whatever. Its like Santa claus only not like that at all.

He was a white saint in the old days..comes from Spain. Has henchman who happen to be really black. (probably African slaves?) Its a tradition...its based on facts I think...

And then suddenly they decide it was rasist and they made the people (who dress up like these henchmen) blue and yellow and green instead of black...MY God...blue people???? come on...

Its nitpicking (or whatever) and there be plenty more...slightly bending rules...its stupid...

Someone needs to change the colour scheme of the forum, there is far too much white.

It's starting to offend me, to be honest.

The thing is....They offend MORE people by making up stupid PC rule bullshit!!

Most stuff is complete crap...I can kind of understand Christmas Light things because of Jews and such, but the black board thing is just STUPID!!!....It's black, and people that are brown :grin: happen to be called black; so what?!!?....They're doing it with Draught boards n stuff too!!

PCness is bullshit.

It really does boggle my mind to some of the stuff it covers: like brainstorms (offensive to epileptic - apprently) and they are talking of banning piggy banks. And if anyone speaks out about his political 'correctness' its racist to do so. People should just accept the fact countires have traditions and that they should be observed.

the fact that jesus is portrayed as white is very historically incorrect

in poland jesus and mary are portrayed almost as african figures

the fact that jesus is portrayed as white is very historically incorrect

in poland jesus and mary are portrayed almost as african figures

what does that have to do with being politically correct?

what does that have to do with being politically correct?

We're getting confused here between politically correct and historically correct.

Okay heres one. In Holland we celebrate something called "Sinterklaas" or whatever. Its like Santa claus only not like that at all.

He was a white saint in the old days..comes from Spain. Has henchman who happen to be really black. (probably African slaves?) Its a tradition...its based on facts I think...

And then suddenly they decide it was rasist and they made the people (who dress up like these henchmen) blue and yellow and green instead of black...MY God...blue people???? come on...

Its nitpicking (or whatever) and there be plenty more...slightly bending rules...its stupid...

Woah, are you serious about that? O.o

Wow... I seriously hope they don't start doing that here. Haven't noticed it yet... If they do, I think I'll go cry in a corner for a bit cause they just ruined a great tradition.

And seriously, this is the first thing I hear about any of this political correctness stuff. I haven't noticed them changing stuff around here just to be politically correct. Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention. It's kind of silly to change words that have a colour in them just because some people might think they refer to skin colour... which is just complete bullshit. People that think like that are just driving it a bit too far, seriously.

political correctness is a load of rubbish, i try to make an effort not to go along with it.

For example, black people are black. You could call them ethnic minorities but thats less precise.

I don't mind being called white, i don't see why there is anything wrong with being called black. its an accurate description of your color.

The xmas thing is also a load of rubbish, the whole thing is about religion and tradition so therefore i will allways call it christmas.

the newest thing is that christmas lights must now be called winter lights so we dont offend anyone of another religion.

That's complete bullshit. Christmas is a Christian celebration. You don't put lights up because it's winter, you put them up because it's Christmas. I suppose we're going to have to buy Winter Tree's too, are we?

Where did you hear about that? That's the first I've heard of it.

That's even worse than Xmas!

Actually Xmas doesn't remove the "Christ" from Christmas, since the "X" really does mean "Christ" .

Xmas has been used for hundreds of years in religious writing, where the X represents a Greek chi, the first letter of “Christ.†In this use it is parallel to other forms like Xtian, “Christian.†But people unaware of the Greek origin of this X often mistakenly interpret Xmas as an informal shortening. Many therefore frown upon the term Xmas because it seems to them a commercial convenience that omits Christ from Christmas.

i don't see why there is anything wrong with being called black. its an accurate description of your color.

Not really, even the blackest of black that I've seen have only been a very dark brown.

In reality they should be called brown people, as it covers all shades, there are no shades of black.

That's complete bullshit. Christmas is a Christian celebration. You don't put lights up because it's winter, you put them up because it's Christmas. I suppose we're going to have to buy Winter Tree's too, are we?

Where did you hear about that? That's the first I've heard of it.

it was in the daily mail a couple of days ago. personnally i think PC is making people more segretgated than ever. it is basically saying if you want to go and be muslem go ahead if you only want to group with your own "kind" go ahead it is ok.

Well its not!!

people should mix properly. we all have to share the same country. ever heard of the saying "when in rome do as the romans do". i am not saying everyone should be christian and eat fish and chips. all i am saying is that people should respect tradition and each others beliefs.

Hey we have christmas. deal with it. i dont know one (muslem for example) complaining that they get 2 weeks off work at christmas but we have to change christmas lights to winter lights.

Again Tony Blairs fault

BULL SHIT.

Actually, there are shades of 'black', well there aren't. But even a Black pen / ink isn't true black

No, black ink is blue.

Much as I wish it looked black under my skin, it doesn't.

The fact that during the world cup a few years ago, minority groups called it racist that we put our own countries flag in car windows.

PC has gone too far, simple as.

Changing a green/white sign into a white/green sign and changing Merry Christmas into Happy Holidays is going too far. People who talk about problems they have with things like that, made the problems themselves. It's ridiculous. OK, being against words like nigger is normal, that's a word directly insulting a skin color, but black board? The world is getting to it's end......

it was in the daily mail a couple of days ago

There's most of your problem right there.

I think politically correct term was created to point out the similarities between the character of pc terms, and the character of most politicians.

1)false

2)incapable of any good

3)either the root of the problems they are meant to solve or seem to simply exist to make said problems that much worse, and far more visible.

so Political correct terms get a thumbs down

the term "politically correct" to describe Politically correct statements gets a thumbs up.