NEurope
Tellyn

Downloadable Content For Wii

Takashi Aoyama, who has given his keynote speech at this year's GDC has now revealed that downloadable content will be coming to the Wii sometime in the near future.

Aoyama-san has stated that downloadable content has been a big part of Microsoft's and Sony's online buisness, now Nintendo will be following in their footsteps. With the announcement of downloadable content, hopefully Wii owners will be able to purchase extra songs for Guitar Hero 3, which to be noted, N-Europe reported it was something Activision was trying to do. Perhaps even extra characters for Smash Bros. Brawl will become available?

Aoyama-San said that owners will be able to get more content for their disc based games along with WiiWare titles with Wii Points. Hopefully with the announcement of extra content, a hard drive will be revealed especially now with extra content, WiiWare and Virtual Console games, gamers will no longer have the frustration of re-downloading the titles or much loved content.

Stay with N-Europe for more GDC news as it breaks.

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=11546

Nintendo really have to be crazy if there's no Hard Drive after this.

Agreed.

Theres only so many times we can empty our fridges :)

It must happen. I'm sure it will now. There's no way there risking sales collapse because of something that can be so easily avoided.

Can I just point out that thanks to the teamwork of me and Shadow, N-Europe is the first non-blog site to get these pieces of news up. :D

Can I just point out that thanks to the teamwork of me and Shadow, N-Europe is the first non-blog site to get these pieces of news up. :D

*Hands over cookie to N-E staff*

Well done fellas :)

Agreed.

Theres only so many times we can empty our fridges :)

Why not get a new, larger fridge? Oh, yes, Hotpoint don't do them... er, wait, yes they do.

Naturally. A good addition to the Wii's online service; however, I feel it could be too little too late at this rate. Prove me wrong Nintendo!

Its nice to know they're doing something about it and I'm not to fussed about the hard drive we can always use SD cards right?

My primary problem with Nintendo's online is the friend codes in each game, why is it that MP3 is the only game to get the console code?

Darksnowman was actually THE source for the news, I forgot to point that out. YOU ROCK! :D

My primary problem with Nintendo's online is the friend codes in each game, why is it that MP3 is the only game to get the console code?

That was prolly Retro Studios trying to give Nintendo a small hint, "nudge nudge, wink wink" :heh:

I hope this will soon allow us to get DLC for Guitar Hero 3, since Activision said they wanted to do it previously.

Oh and of course we NEED a Hard-Drive support at this point, the VC, WiiWare and now DLC are all bloody BRILLIANT moves on Nintendo's part, but if they fail to acknowledge their mistake with the the Wii's memory storage that could destroy all the success they've had so far this gen.

Either an official Nintendo Hard-Drive or a firmware update to use any regular external hard drive, preferably both (I like the idea of a "mini Wii" HDD next to my Wii.... or as Wildo dubbed it in one of our podcasts...the WiiWii)

Also my idea for an SD Card Channel would be great also.

Note: WiiWii copyright Mike Wilson and SD Card Channel copyright Franklin Hughes....just in case :heh:

Naturally. A good addition to the Wii's online service; however, I feel it could be too little too late at this rate. Prove me wrong Nintendo!

Too late? Was Wii's launch 5 years ago and I missed it?

This is a good thing for Rock Band Wii, I guess. Without a HDD it's ultimately pointless though.

Better utilisation of the SD card slot would do me. Is there a reason we can't save and play VC games straight off the extra SD card? Is there?

Is there a reason we can't save and play VC games straight off the extra SD card? Is there?

Nintendo used an ultra slow SD reader. We'd have to wait 10 minutes for a NES game to be copied from an SD card into the Wii's memory before we can play it.

This IS Nintendo, they are well-known for coming out with great ideas and innovations only to fuck it up by half-baking the deal (see connectivity).

I seriously, seriously, seriously hope Nintendo releases some kind of HDD support because this is starting to look very short-sighted on their behalf.

So instead of the HDD we're getting decompressing on the fly? That surely will solve all our storage issues. :heh:

for all the people moaning about lack of space, i know vc games and wiiware games can only run off the internal memory but is their any reason at all DLC cant be saved to the sd card

This IS Nintendo, they are well-known for coming out with great ideas and innovations only to fuck it up by half-baking the deal (see connectivity).

I seriously, seriously, seriously hope Nintendo releases some kind of HDD support because this is starting to look very short-sighted on their behalf.

My sentiments exactly. Starting to get really annoyed at Nintendo being SO slow at delivery almost every promise. Online, DLC, HDD and Mii usage has all been barred to devs due to Nintendo not getting their arse in gear and devs are lining up to use it. Bet they will screw everyone with the HDD as well. Probably have to use an official Nintendo one, wankers.

Well guess I can't complain about VC, that's done pretty well so far. Would like to see how we are really going to cope with HDD space though when WiiWare kicks in proper.

The only bad thing with the VC is the slow pace of N64 games. At this rate we won't have much of the catalogue by the time we get the next Nintendo console.

A bit more than 1 a month would be good.

I want the Mystical Ninja Goeman games dammit :(

I also can't believe that Nintendo are being so fickle about getting games to territories that never got them before. Limitted time holidays when you can only get them in the space of a week. Fuck off N.

So there is an update today that puts an update or something or other on the Disc Channel.

Saw this thread and though it could be linked with this? Maybe clicking it would take you to the shop where you could buy some extra content.