NEurope
Gaijin von Snikbah

Wii Pay & Play

http://kotaku.com/359754/nintendo-announces-wii-pay--play

Today, during a GDC presentation, Nintendo's Takashi Aoyama announced a new expansion to Nintendo's Wi-Fi services called Wii Pay & Play. Aoyama explained that Nintendo will begin "collecting fees for some services [that] will allow us to adapt flexibly." In other words, by subsidizing additional, unnamed service and feature costs to consumers, Nintendo feels they can explore new concepts and channels.

He added that it was a Nintendo initiative to avoid misleading consumers into thinking they can buy games that can be played entirely free when they cannot (whether or not this implies an initiative to begin charging for multiplayer content was unclear). To aid in a clear cost presentation, the blue WFC logo will be joined with a similar red logo featuring the line "Pay & Play."

While we were offered no additional details, we understand that the red stands for danger.

....It's times like these that I feel that Nintendo are slowly shafting me from behind while Iwata just looks on with a grin on his face.

I'm worried this might come into effect with Animal Crossing Wii you know....(if i've understood the Pay and Play feature, which i doubt).

Overall, i'm not liking the sound of it, at the mo!

Before you start shooting Nintendo, I suggest you wait until the details of this thing are unfolded. Too much hate here.

Sounds to me they're opening up possibilities for paying online, like XBL Marketplace and MMOs. I seriously doubt this'll affect online play, it's against the Wii philosophy (and Nintendo's in general).

OMG NINTENDO ONLINE SUX, LIVE FTW! IT WOULD BE BETTER TO PAY!

OMG NINTENDO SUX, THEY WANT US TO PAY!

Get a grip, you'll still be able to play online for free and we'll get a more robust system for a price OPTIONALLY. Isn't that the best of both worlds. What's left to see if it will be any good and the prices.

OMG LIVE SUX, NINTENDO ONLINE FTW! IT WOULD BE BETTER TO NOT PAY!

Get a grip, you'll still be able to play online for free and we'll get a more robust system for a price OPTIONALLY. Isn't that the best of both worlds. What's left to see if it will be any good and the prices.

FIXED

I don't get this. What is being paid for then? The service is called "Pay and Play" so we are paying to play something, and seeing as we already do this for offline games i doubt it's just a handy reminder. And with the Wii's lack of a hard drive, I can't see it being a downloading service. Then again, it could be some sort of streaming service...

Anyways, I will be so pissed if Monster Hunter 3 requires me to pay monthly fees.

Mario Kart has the blue wi-fi logo on it's official artwork, so I think we're safe there.

I think this Pay and Play thing might be connected with the downloadable content news (found here) which means that we will just have to pay for extra content.

Mario Kart has the blue wi-fi logo on it's official artwork, so I think we're safe there.

I think this Pay and Play thing might be connected with the downloadable content news (found here) which means that we will just have to pay for extra content.

Well. That's alright then. :blank:

Anyways, I will be so pissed if Monster Hunter 3 requires me to pay monthly fees.

Thats the 1st thing that crossed my mind when I read this.

Im still unsure what it means. Can we play all of the up and coming online games on the Wii for free or do we have to pay. What exactly are we paying for here?

If the fee means that they can sort out the online playing and get rid of the friend code system for a more streamlined Live service then im all for it!

The online you have now? You'll still have it. Things we didn't have because it wasn't reasonable to have them for free? Pay IF YOU WANT. That means DLC, possible premium online options for certain games, more flexibility to allow MMOs, bigger servers, etc...

I'm betting will see some of this in AC and MH3.

The online you have now? You'll still have it. Things we didn't have because it wasn't reasonable to have them for free? Pay IF YOU WANT. That means DLC, possible premium online options for certain games, more flexibility to allow MMOs, bigger servers, etc...

I'm betting will see some of this in AC and MH3.

Ah I see. Cheers Hellfire.

If the content is good, say more racers in Mario Kart or fighters in Brawl then I would happily splash the cash. This is pretty exciting news, well at least to me it is anyway as I love DLC, it can expand the life of a game.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Pay and Play was announced by Nintendo project leader (and mastermind of the Wii Menu) Takashi Aoyama, and it has been described as a subscription service that works on a game-by-game basis, meaning you'll need to pay a subscription for each game which uses the service.

Sounds messy. Why not create a unified service? (like Live)

That will encourage third parties to actually implement online functions (or whatever this thing does) instead of scaring them away.

Ah I see. Cheers Hellfire.

If the content is good, say more racers in Mario Kart or fighters in Brawl then I would happily splash the cash. This is pretty exciting news, well at least to me it is anyway as I love DLC, it can expand the life of a game.

No prob. I doubt games that were already released can support DLC that wasn't already planned though, it's something we'll have to wait and see.

McMad I suppose they did that because some people won't want to pay to use only the extras in one game, when they could pay much less and do it just for the games they want. Now, if this was a good decision, it depends a lot on the pricing.

What's so great about DLC? All it seems to be to me is paying extra for content that probably could have been included on the game disc, but was held back so that we have to pay for it later. Seems like a rip off to me.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong and this will turn out great, but I think that Nintendo really should have announced more details, to avoid gamers' minds running wild.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong and this will turn out great, but I think that Nintendo really should have announced more details, to avoid gamers' minds running wild.

Yeah that's what I was gonna say, if they stay silent, people will keep speculating and complaining.

I've never played a Wii game online. How do they play out? Do they totally suck in terms of performance? (lag)