NEurope
Razz

Give Blood.

The authorities sometimes willingly give people money that don't need it is my point.

[sarcasm]Why would I know anyone like that?...I'm of course some Middle Class wannabe-toff like BlackFox wishes to believe:indeed:[/sarcasm]

The reason they get away with benefit fraud is because the system allows so many people to recieve it that they don't know who deserves it or not. There are many people around me that claim benefits when they obviously don't need it. When I get my own place and a full time job I will report them. If you don't report them then you can't moan about them.

If you aren't part of the solution then you're part of the problem.

The reason they get away with benefit fraud is because the system allows so many people to recieve it that they don't know who deserves it or not. There are many people around me that claim benefits when they obviously don't need it. When I get my own place and a full time job I will report them. If you don't report them then you can't moan about them.

If you aren't part of the solution then you're part of the problem.

Well I don't know of any...So I'm not part of the problem.

In fact, your attitude has certainly made me feel better that not all people brush problems under the rug and letting criminals get away with things.

Having a child while carrying a genetic disease....?

I meant having, rather than carrying; there is a large difference. Of course it also depends on what it is and such blah blah.

The problem is that it's all case to case basis anyway; which is probably why I've come across harsher than I meant.

Having a child while carrying a genetic disease is completely different to being in a car accident...

Correct.

...and, as I said before, family members can contribute to those unfortunate people most of the time.

...yeah...

So...You don't think that kicking a child the shit out of isn't child abuse? because it's basically what you're doing giving them a life de-enhancing disease.

That was one big leap in logic.

I'm not sure how to reply to you. It's like trying to talk to a screaming toddler. Anyway, we get it. You don't give blood because you hate the world or some bullshit. That's great.

Back on topic... I was quite disheartened to not be allowed to donate blood.

Has anyone here, themselves or family, ever needed donated blood?

I had a blood test and fainted once. Couldn't believe it. I do actually want to give blood, the thought that i will be saving peoples lives must really feel good. But i can't right now, needles scare me. When I'm older I'll give it another go for sure.

Has anyone here, themselves or family, ever needed donated blood?

My gran has rare blood (AB+) She had a car accident quite a long time ago (1980s) and I believe they had problems getting her blood.

My aunt also lost a lot of blood from her second pregnancy, she started getting dizzy and stuff, passed out. the medics tipped her bed back (assumedly to keep all the blood in her brain) and she was rushed for an emergency blood transfusion.

For once I'm not going to get too involved in the 'discussion, but;

I never mentioned the poor.:) In fact my family used to be "poor" during my early years. We had not much more than the house itself and the necesities (sp?). I do however blame spongers for eating our money, the ones that can still afford Sky on benefits, and have 50 kids that will grow up to be useless, and live in a council house that could be used for someone deserving.

Anyway....I actually meant those with high pay packets in the Government and Councils and NHS is where LOADS of our money goes to waste.

The problem here is defining who is 'deserving' and who is not. Sometimes a few of those 50 kids are fully deserving. Would it really be fair to treat that 1 kid the same as their 49 siblings? Yes, benefit fraud is abundant in society and yes, benefits are not always used in the way the government provides them BUT benefits are also not always fairly distributed, nor are they ultimately helpful. I remember as a kid, my mum had to stay on benefits because the only way to come off it was to find a 15k-a-year job - which wasn't easy due to qualifications (long, and probably private story behind that one) and also such a job would reduce time spent with me and my sister, maybe even requiring a 'sitter, thus costing more...

The whole benefits aspect of our culture is reallynot something easily summed up or resolved. Sometimes, the gap between receiving benefits and being in a position to provide taxes is rather fucking large. Single mothers going from free NHS to having to pay for dental visits, to paying for hospital visits... Money goes so fucking easy it's ridiculous.

I concur that there are individuals and families taking advantage of the system - but I seriously believe that it isn't wholly the system at fault, but other factors that drive, or indeed encourage individuals and families to take advantage of the system. It's about survival -- so why are these people needing to turn to fraud in order to survive? Isn't that a problem? I guess it's also a whole other debate, mind.

No...What I meant was I shouldn't have to pay for something that could have been easily avoided. I've no problem with the disabled, but to knowingly breed it is against evolution, and in many ways now I think about it, is actually child abuse in my eyes.
Fair enough you don't want to pay for the consequences, but what about paying for prevention of the cause? In some circumstances that's a potential -- maybe contribute to charities determined to eliminate the causes of cancer and whatnot?

I do have a problem with what you say about "knowingly"... I mean, i have a condition or two that might or might not (most likely not) be hereditary... Is it really fair to say I cannot have children? To bring it back to an earlier point; how do you know whether or not my children are of any value to society? We don't. I can tell you that no matter the disability my children may or may not have, I will bring them up to be proper denziens of the world we live in. I really believe that evolution has moved beyond survival of the fittest in teh physical sense. Sure, there's some argument there for eliminating disease and other catalysts of anomalies... but that's just not seen as a human thing to do anymore. We do have the capabilities to sustain the 'weak', and thus we can look instead at intellectual and technological advances. You realise that if what you believe was enforced, muhammed ali, Stephen Hawkins and... well probably countless other influential figures would never have been born.

My views on how an (I'm sorry to say, but it's generally a consensus of opinion) utterly nazi-ish way of banning the weak from furthering their lives are truly for a different topic. Philosophically, how would the human race exist without disease? What would we focus on? Ideally, we'd focus all our resources on advancing our race -- but realistically I believe we'd just advance the flatness of our TVs. But it's a whole other debate...

But I also didn't put them where they were to need the blood; so to me, I'm neutral. I'm not saying I would help someone injured on the street (unless for a few reasons), but I wouldn't want to help anyone "faceless"....It's just how I am.

That's the thing -- if you were walking down a street in the dead of night and saw someone laying on the floor in a pool of blood what would you do? Following what you're saying, you'd leave them there. Not your problem. You didn't cause it, you don't have to solve it. But for me, I'd have to make sure they're ok - regardless of what they've done with their lives so far. But then, I believe in the good of man, so... *shrugs shoulders*

The authorities sometimes willingly give people money that don't need it is my point.

[/sarcasm]

'Willingly' is the buzzword here. Again, I probably have too much faith, but -- well, you get people taking advantage of the system, whatever it is, but the system is there to help people that need the help. I wouldn't like to see a system where people who desperately needed the help could not receive it just because the Red Tape decided that the people taking advantage of the system was worth far more than the people who needed the help.