NEurope
Mundi

Gears Of War 2

While I will admit that the game modes, maps, weapons (apart from the shotgun) and tweaks they've made to the gameplay are better, the setup of the game is just downright shit. Let me explain

I hate the fact that you have to vote for the gametype/map.

I hate the fact that you can't specify the number of rounds/bleedout time/round duration on ranked/public matches. I was playing Wingman, got knocked down and bleedout time must have been about 20 seconds. What's the point of having execution matches if your opponents can down you, then have time to have a smoke before walking all the way across the map to kill you?

I hate wondering if the game is going to end because someone leaves (in the first game, you could host or get a friend to do it. And even if no friends were online, you could ask the host of the last game you played if they were going to do another one)

I hate the fact that I always seem to get paired with laggy, wanker Americans (at least in the first one, you could avoid them by looking at the connection speeds)

I hate the fact that if you want to have a private match (to avoid all the above issues), you can't just create one and have random people join like you could on the original's player matches. You have to have either bots or friends, which is just totally shit.

I've had loads of fun in this game when I've had loads of friends in my room, but during the day, when most of them aren't about, the game is very very hit and miss.

By the way, sorry I didn't accept your invite yesterday, me and a friend were finishing it on insane.

well I barely play matchmaking. I've regularly had 10-15 friends on per night playing this so it's not bothering me much. Even so, I think you're exaggerating the problems. I've had some pretty awesome games on matchmaking. Wouldn't mind a custom game browser though.

It's not just the matchmaking - the main problem with this game is that they need to tone down the chainsaw because it's waaaay too easy to kill people with it. Matches have degenerated into a chainsaw fest. On several occasions, I meleed someone who was about to chainsaw me, the hit counted, but his chainsaw didn't lower. So I thought, if you can't beat em, join em and resorted to chainsaw tactics. My kill total must have tripled. It's that easy!

If you tried these tactics in the first game, you'd get your arse handed to you. If you wanted to use the chainsaw, you had to be pretty sneaky about it.

This game has been seriously dumbed down.

Bought this earlier today. Thought I'd put Epic's game to the test and see what all the fuss is about. Haven't tried online yet, just the single player. Not far in. Done the first mission in the hospital and a bit of the next one.

I've never played Gears before this so I didn't have anything to compare it to/base it on but it feels really sluggish, movement and aiming. Perhaps it's just that I'm used to playing FPSs and on those you move around faster but it really does feel quite sluggish. Also, Epic claimed that this game was really pushing the 360 basically to its limits but I really don't see how. Texturing on the character models is pretty poor on the armor and it's not the loading of them as they are pretty poor when they have loaded. Same with the environments as well.

Obviously, seeing as I paid £37.99 for it I'll play it more but I honestly don't see what all the fuss about it is. I just hope it gets better otherwise I'll be getting my money back. And I hope the online isn't as bad as I'm hearing. I mainly bought it because I wanted something different to play online other than Halo 3 (sick of people jumping like 10 metres on that and being able to beat me down and kill me. It just plain sucks) so fingers crossed. Obviously, if anyone wants to add me to play at this online, my GT is in my sig below but leave a PM on here saying you've done so so I don't get bombarded with Friend requests from people I don't know.

edit: Ok so I've played it a bit more. Now in the facility where the locust queen is apparently. It's growing on me a bit more. Online isn't that hot though. Quite laggy and a few glitches ruined the game I played.

Come on people play tonight, we had some good games last night. It will be even better with me N-E'ers!

If I could find some batteries I'd do it but I don't think I have any others I could use. Would be up for some online but I don't think I'll be able to because of the batteries situation. I do have rechargeable batteries but my brother has stolen them all for his PC. Gonna have to get more.....

It's not just the matchmaking - the main problem with this game is that they need to tone down the chainsaw because it's waaaay too easy to kill people with it. Matches have degenerated into a chainsaw fest. On several occasions, I meleed someone who was about to chainsaw me, the hit counted, but his chainsaw didn't lower. So I thought, if you can't beat em, join em and resorted to chainsaw tactics. My kill total must have tripled. It's that easy!

If you tried these tactics in the first game, you'd get your arse handed to you. If you wanted to use the chainsaw, you had to be pretty sneaky about it.

This game has been seriously dumbed down.

Agreed. I'm not loving the multi-player really, it badly needs sorting out. It's laggy, the matchmaking is crap and the chainsaw is the bane of all existance.

I think i'm just gonna stick to co-op and Horde on this from now on, much more fun!

Surely it's harder to chainsaw than it was in the first game, now that there's chainsaw duelling?

I've not done multiplayer much, got really put off when I had a game of Guardian, a couple of N-E members were there so they may recall this... nobody knew how to play ¬___¬ when I was leader (several times) nobody even vaguely protected me, and it was on that map with 2 sets of stairs facing each other, and on that map when the enemies die, they spawn where you start, so there's no safe place to put your back to the wall. And not only were my team not trying to protect me, but they weren't going for the opposing team's leader either! It only takes 2 minutes to do the tutorial, or 10 seconds to read the manual....

No, not really. You only go into a duel if they have a lancer equipped and they are facing you dead on. Being attacked from the side doesn't activate chainsaw duel.

In a battle of shotgun vs chainsaw, chainsaw will win 80% of the time and that's just plain wrong

Also, (adding on to what Dog-amoto said) if u even go into a chainchaw duel a teammate can just come along and chainsaw the person ur dueling with anyway so it cancels it out and kills the person.

Finished this earlier on normal (should really have done it on hard). It was a good game but I stand by what I said in that it did feel very sluggish at times. I was just wishing and wanting for the tempo to speed up a little. The ending was a bit meh. Was built up a bit much for what you get. Shame really. A few glitches occurring in the latter part of the game nearly ruined it (characters getting stuck) and while the graphics were good, there were bits that looked awful (the cars in the snow area in that town) and the water effects weren't as good as made out to be, but this is really nit-picking.

Anyways, for the single player alone, I'd give it an 8 out of 10. Haven't really tried the online much but on my initial playing of that it was ok, not great. Will have to try it more and get into it.

Now to get hold of the original and play through that.

So I thought, if you can't beat em, join em and resorted to chainsaw tactics. My kill total must have tripled. It's that easy!

Exactly the same thing went on in the first game. I remember playing a random match one day. I went in with my Lancer and thought it any other game. Then all of a sudden everyone is weilding shotguns and I get blown away in the first few seconds.

I tried Lancer again. Didn't work.

Resorted to shotgun. Lasted the round and the rest after that and won the game.

No game is ever perfect.

... A few glitches occurring in the latter part of the game nearly ruined it (characters getting stuck) ...

Man, GLITCHES! In the first game I can only remember one occurance, where shorty managed to end up running around in the water where you first meet the Kryll. Crazy madness.

But this game? First meeting was in a Horde game on Avalanche where a grub stood next to a lampost, started shooting at me and started elevating up the lampost, accelerating until he was about 100-in-game-feet into the air, without his accuracy impinged :P Had a few other grubs elevate to the top of the lampost's height, too.

Plenty of times where I've simply frozen on teh spot - often where the floor beneath my character's rocked around a bit. Sometimes, as with the first game, I would be able to wave my controller at shorty and point to the screen, showing my character magically running at full speed without me pressing any buttons.

Well I guess that's only two glitches, but the freezy one occured quite a few times. I could've sworn there were more, though.

Have to say I'm not enjoying the online multiplayer stuff much. The only mode that's any decent is Horde. My first match paired me with a bunch of idiots who didn't come and heal fallen comrades so we only got to wave 7. :shakehead Was better later on when I got a decent group but 2 of the 5 left at wave 10 after getting the achievement so myself and 2 others continued to see how far we'd get. Got to wave 18. I got shanked by a Sire because it glitched when I went in with the chainsaw and was left crawling on the floor. Because of where I was I couldn't move (we were on a map that had a few train carriages lying about and I got stuck in there) so basically shuffled back as far as I could and got stomped by a flame boomer. >.< For a first try on that map though it went well. I had most kills and most points. But the glitches and lag can kill it.

Not sure how much longer I'll play it. Been trying to do the single player on insane and I'm on the second level bit on the rig. Would have finished that but apparently the reavers are bullet proof and so too were the driver and the rider. :shakehead

So..anybody played the new maps yet?

I spent 800 points on N+ the other day too so I can't afford them at the moment.

Bit shitty bringing out new maps already considering the game is barely over a month old.

So..anybody played the new maps yet?

I spent 800 points on N+ the other day too so I can't afford them at the moment.

Bit shitty bringing out new maps already considering the game is barely over a month old.

I didn't even know there was new maps out yet! Bit shit like u said coz the game ent been out long. How much are they? And for how manymaps ?

Got the game from Haden on Friday, I'm loving it. Havn't even started campaign yet as I plan to work through that with thunderer but this game feels like it's Gears 1, with polish. Great stuff.

Need players for Horde.. :heh: