NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dani

Katamari Creator Speaks Out - Goodbye?

"In 10 years time, I am not going to be making games any more," Keita Takahashi told the BBC News website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4392964.stm

"Developers want to come up with fun games but ideas are judged by their sales potential"

In fact, he says he feels slightly ashamed that much of the talk about the new machines is about more realistic looking games, rather than about using the raw power to do different things in a game.

====

Rather sad, he hopde that he would use is genius to make newer, more creative games, and from what he has said, it looks like, at from a personal side, he should try to get on board with Nintendo's DS or Revolution.

I understand where he's coming from, this battle of graphics is kinda silly. It'll peak eventually, though, and gameplay will have to come to the fore.

We'l see what happens when photo-realism is accomplished, then see what the power hungry game companies do next.

Thats why nintendo believe so much in innovation, its the way forward, if you are working on graphics to improve the game, what happens when that is achieved? They'l believe theres nothing more in the game industry and work on the media side of the game consoles.

I understand where he's coming from, this battle of graphics is kinda silly. It'll peak eventually, though, and gameplay will have to come to the fore.

Then they'll still bring out endless photo realistic Need for Speed games, stopping this obsession with graphics is only half the battle.

I would love it if games wasn't so mainstream anymore no matter how well the games' industry is doing at the moment.

With game costs as they are, it needs to be mainstream. To go back "underground", games would need to become a lot cheaper to produce (bringing back the bedroom coder is probably the first step, any console developers out there want to create some noob-friendly development software for free download?).

Hmmm... Games like Shadow of the Collosus are very "underground" and has done well (I think) That wasn't made by bedroom coders.

Gaming can survive without being so mainstream I think - I just wish games that try something new were more appriciated.

Sign in to follow this