NEurope
arab_freak

Dragonball live action movie in production

ngbbs47b78ce012d8f.jpg

http://movies.ign.com/articles/852/852636p1.html

After years in development, the live-action feature film version of Akira Toriyama's manga and anime classic Dragonball is now in production. 20th Century Fox will release the movie -- referred to as either Dragon Ball Z, Dragonball, or simply DBZ by different publications -- on August 15, 2008.

Filming on DBZ began last December in Mexico and Los Angeles.

While story details are being kept under wraps, The Hollywood Reporter's synopsis says Dragonball "centers on an adult humanoid alien named Goku (Chatwin) who, after discovering he was sent to Earth to destroy the population, tries to fulfill the wish of his dying grandfather and collect all seven of the world's mystical Dragon Balls to keep them out of the hands of the evil aliens." Variety added that Bulma's "father's Dragon Ball is stolen by Piccolo."

chatwin-invisible_1203116258.jpgson-goku_boxartboxart_160w_1203116308.jpg

rossum-poseidon1_1203116513.jpgdbz_bulma_boxartboxart_160w_1203116548.jpg

Rossum blogged in January, "I've been listening to some harder music to access the edge inside me to bring to the character, some Lincoln Park and Dream Theater. I'm enjoying developing the character and training, learning to ride a motorcycle has been thrilling." Also, Diario.com.mx claims that Rossum will wear a blue wig in the movie.

LOL.

This is going to suck so hard, possibly harder than anything has ever sucked before, maybe enough to make my brain instantaneously dissolve. But I'm going to see it multiple times anyway.

Dragonball Z ftw

I bet his power level isn't even near 9000. I'll be sure to take my scouter with me when I watch this.

This film is gonna be so bad that I just have to see it. It's bound to flop. How are they gonna do right voices, high speed and intense fights and effects. Oh god...

Live actions don't work with DBZ. Also this was posted in the anime thread a while ago when he movie got first announced. We slated it there aswell :heh:

What! No Vegeta!?

This is going to be the worst film ever.

Yeah, man. And that fuckin wanker from Angel or whatever's playin Piccolo! Cmon, we all know that there ain't nobody but Samuel L hisself that can pull off shit like that.

I love to think they could make something good out of this, it would have potential if the people behind actually cared about the franchise and the fans (like the first 2 Spiderman and X-Men films), but looking at that first pic it looks like it's going to be low budget poor cosplay recreation.

I am however interested in how much of the story arc they will cover, it seems like it's starting with Goku's brother Raditz coming to Earth, so they will either skip a shit load or are planning a few sequels cuz it would be doubful they'd get up to Freeza and Super Sajain in one film.

Also interested to see how they handle the fights, i always thought the Neo vs Smith fight at the end of the 3rd Matrix film was very DBZ-esque, minus the engery blasts.

And the guy playing Goku, who i never heard of before doesn't look like a good match, from the pics i been able to find he seems very skinny with little muscle, unless he's bulked up, they'll likely use CGI to touch up his muscle tone, i'd prefer if they got someone Asian with a martial arts background (and therefore likely to be well toned also) for the part.

Looking at the IMDB page for this, Chi Chi, Yamcha and Master Roshi are being played by asian actors.....oddly enough though Chow Yun Fat is down for Roshi.... i like Chow Yun Fat but I don't know if he'd make a good Roshi (read: perverted old man), also interesting playing Picollo is the guy who played Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, could be cool....but will the make-up be good enough?

I bet his power level isn't even near 9000. I'll be sure to take my scouter with me when I watch this.

Record it with your scouter so I can make a pointless 5 minutes video of it slowing down and speeding up and flipping the image in all directions.

This is gonna flop. It's being made by Americans.

I used to LOVE Dragonball Z. Just loved the whole Saga thing.

lol Nice poster :P.

This will suck DRAGONballs.

See what I did there?

I used to LOVE Dragonball Z. Just loved the whole Saga thing.

lol Nice poster :P.

This will suck DRAGONballs.

See what I did there?

No, what :p

stephen chow stephen chow stephen chow

Yeah. This is the only thing the movie has going for it.

Seriously. What... the... Fuck?

:blank:

It's not real as they've duly begun production.

Or is it? :wtf:

I feel it's going to destroy most good memories about DBZ.

And the actor of Goku doesn't look determined and muscular enough for the role.

LOL! This just reeks of pure lozzles! Can't wait. I want to see who plays as Vegeta, that choice will either ruining the whole thing or be its saving grace.

cant see it working, the anime took to long, whole episodes spent on the build up to a single move. unless they trim the fat the film will deal with 3 punches, or be 3 days long.

stephen chow stephen chow stephen chow
He's only producing it, unfortunatly, which means he has little involvement in the film. On the other hand, if he was directing, the film might have had a little chance of being half-decent.

Just a thought, who would you perfer to play Goku.

I think Tony Jaa (Ong-Bak) would have been good....if he could speak english?

Just realized, the Korean film Arahan (which is pretty damned good, watch if you haven't yet) has a few good fight scenes that are kinda DBZ-esque (only energy blasts are invisible) that worked quite well

Just a thought, who would you perfer to play Goku.

Will Ferrel, and Jack Black can be Vegeta.

They may as well, it's going to be a comedy anyway, whether intentional or not.