NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

Peripherals Welcome?

Ever since the dawn of consoles we've had peripherals.

Debated amongst the many yet enjoyed in almost equal measure, from trivial exploits like ROB the robot to the explosion of DDR titles, peripherals have been varied from the off. We even saw 'new' promise with the advent of the Eyetoy. It could be argued that it was a mixed bag yet when coupled with sales, peripherals were evidently here to stay.

So when it comes to Wii are we seeing peripherals as a main focus of the console? Did Nintendo learn anything from the ill-fated DK Bongos? Is Links Crossbow training and Wii-Fit and indication of where the Wii is heading?

Previously peripherals have mostly been looked on as a way to extend a consoles life as both 1st and 3rd party developers flock to the placebo "update" effect - Yet with Wii we are seeing peripherals early on.

Does this mean Nintendo are testing new waters and looking at the ways in which peripherals can affect a consoles perception? And are the titles released for the peripheral "disruptive"? Or perhaps they are just copying a model that no-one else has really flogged!

Will peripherals spell the end for arcades and will they litter our houses in years to come? Or will they become an intrinsic part of Wii enabling even more fresh experiences? Time will tell, but for now the peripheral seems to be enjoying a re-birth of sorts.

Thoughts as always ...

Haven't read the entire post, but Wii was FROM THE BEGGINING about expansion, mainly peripherals. As long as these aren't necessary, expensive or the focus, everything is OK. We can use them if we like or we can do business as usual, they aren't forcing anything down our throats, they're giving us freedom of choice.

The biggest problem with controller-related peripherals is that hardly any game will support them. With the Wii, the peripherals are more shells that are cheaper and entirely optional (even for the games you get them with...the Zapper isn't needed for Link's Crossbow Training and the Wheel isn't needed for Mario Kart).

This means that developers can stick a "supports [suchandsuch a peripheral]" on a box without really adding anything to the game code as an advertising ploy which will mean that more games "support" them and so more people buy them.

Every now and then you'll get a peripheral that is expensive and mainly built with one game in mind. These type of things have been doing better recently....but probably mainly due to having better ideas for them (Bongo's with a Donkey Kong aren't really that exciting to most games. Guitar Hero and Wii Fit, however, are very exciting to them.

the wii contrller was a mistake. They should have just relaunched the gamecube with the bongo controller as standard. This weekend I am going to play through jungle beat again. Cant wait!

Companies put in the peripherals:

A) because Kids like them.

and B) because people are more likely to notice a bigger box.

Most of the crap we've seen so far has been huge rip offs. It usually would end up going like: Kid buys peripheral, Kid breaks peripheral, kid crys, parents pay for a new one.

Note this post is mainly talking about the golf clubs tennis rackets light sabers ect. not the higher quality things like the balance board, wii weal.

I think that the Wii LACKS peripherals.

Give us a Wii harddrive to store our savefiles and VC-games. Give us a wheel for racers. And FOR THE LOVE OF GOD give us a darn CHARGER for the Wiimote.

Nintendo promised lots of peripherals from the start, and what did we get? The Nunchuck and a plastic case for shooters.

I'd be worried that there will be too many peripherals for it. Already you can get those golf clubs, tennis rackets etc which are really pointless and then you have the zapper and other gun shells as well as the nunchuk, classic controller... the wheel is on the way as is the Wiibo.

Where will it end? Sure, the balance board has more potential than the rest but are we likely to get other peripherals of its significance? I don't wanna get bogged down in "useless" add-ons.

What we need is some kinda rumble attachment for the classic controller. :p

Is stuff like this a step to far?

thumb_nbs.JPG

Why would it be? Does anyone force you to buy it? It's another alternative for those who want something like that.

I don't have room for LOADS of peripherals, and I can't see there being many more to be honest. Though maybe Nintendo will make a needed one later on, used in place of the nunckuck for some games (though comes free with one or 2)....don't know what it'd be.....

Maybe they'll save it for the WiiII.

What we need is some kinda rumble attachment for the classic controller. :p

It's called the Wii remote ;).....All we need are those clips, and actual rumble support for Classic Controller games.

Anyone else seen this Zapper/ scope gun/ bazooka:

wii_light_gun_wiimax.jpg

It kinda looks so stupid, that it looks class. I think that sight on top of it is what really defines it- it could be the perfect companion for when the super scope games hit the VC...! Lol.

the thing on top is a Laser sight (red laser) powered by 2 x AAA batteries

oVerKill!

I don't mind if one or two other 3rd parties make a gun attachment or something, or a steering weal. But if every single 3rd party makes a gun, golf club, various skins, tennis racket, baseball bat, light-saber, boxing glove, bowling ball lunch box, stand/AA battery charger...

The Wii IS the most suitable console for peripherals.But,instead of releasing useless plastic crap,they should listen of fan's voice and release something worthwhile, as a HDD peripheral or a Wiimote charger via USB while playing.

But,everybody shoots for a quick cheap cash-in and nobody sees the big picture.:wtf:

I think periphals are welcome as long as I don't have to pay over 10 quid for them and multiple games take advantage of it. Otherwise I'll just go to someone who has them.

I learnt a big lesson from DKonga. fun but shortlived, and didnt manage to sell the bongos for anything. :(

I think periphals are welcome as long as I don't have to pay over 10 quid for them and multiple games take advantage of it. Otherwise I'll just go to someone who has them.

I learnt a big lesson from DKonga. fun but shortlived, and didnt manage to sell the bongos for anything. :(

Get DK Jungle Beat; it's really good.

Get DK Jungle Beat; it's really good.

I would but I really can't be assed to find the drums from the garage and buying it as well.

Better things to play.

Sign in to follow this