NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

Piracy crackdown! Thoughts...

Sometimes people will send music to me, and I'll like it and go out and buy the CD!! This is pure fucking stupidity.

...The best way to support bands is going to gigs and buying merchandise. It doesnt increase there sales.

Exactly my sentiments in post 16.

There is something right about this, copyright and all, but the way of controlling it is plainly wrong...

Ah well, the best way to control music is to make CD's less suspectable to riping, like delivering them with DRM (sorry, guys). If they wanted to stop it, they shouldn't have made it this easy (or install spyware with their players (winkwink Sony).

Sometimes people will send music to me, and I'll like it and go out and buy the CD!! This is pure fucking stupidity.

I rest my case.

Who the fuck do the state think they are anyway? What I do on my PC is my own business, and unless they've got a good reason to inspect what I do or what I have on my PC, they need to stay the fuck away from my records and mind their own business.

Who the fuck do the state think they are anyway? What I do on my PC is my own business, and unless they've got a good reason to inspect what I do or what I have on my PC, they need to stay the fuck away from my records and mind their own business.

What you do with your shopping bag isn't any business of the state, but if you steal a cd from the record store it is. The internet is a worldwide marketplace, so stealing stays wrong.

Not that I find it right, but the State has just as much right to arrest you if you go downtown as if you go on the internet - it's where people meet, wich needs to be policed a little for society's sake.

Unless they've got good reason to think I have stolen goods, they need to piss off. If they are just gonna go checking out people's records without a good reason, they can mind their own business!! The state needs to stay the fuck out of my home, I didn't give them permission to enter.

Unless they've got good reason to think I have stolen goods, they need to piss off. If they are just gonna go checking out people's records without a good reason, they can mind their own business!! The state needs to stay the fuck out of my home, I didn't give them permission to enter.

So your saying you ISP has no right to monitor the files that are passing through their server.

Its more like if the postal service found a bomb when doing a security scan on packages.

How are they going to be able to tell if its illegal or not?

Considering you can purchase large software off the internet, legally download torrents and music files. I can't see how they could possibly even tell that what you are downloading you've not paid for.

If you're using torrents you are uploading as well as downloading. If the download is legal they'll crucify you for the upload :)

If you're using torrents you are uploading as well as downloading. If the download is legal they'll crucify you for the upload :)

So say I'm torrenting the latest Football Manager Patch, released free on torrent by Sports Interactive. The fact that it uploads it while it downloads is considered illegal?

You live and learn.

So your saying you ISP has no right to monitor the files that are passing through their server.

No, they don't have that right as common carriers, but no doubt laws will keep coming in and fucking our privacy and freedom

Freedom to break the law? They aren't taking away any freedoms from you.

Its not like you are forced to sign up for the internet either. The governments job is to make and update laws. Since you sign up for the service it comes with certain terms and conditions. If you don't agree with the terms just discontinue the service.

Its not like they have someone reading every file that is downloaded. They have a server monitoring it. Its sort of like how the police look at people's power bills to see who has a grow-op. Your basically saying that nobody has the right to stop you from breaking the laws.

No, he's saying that no one has the right to monitor everything you do on the web.

I would put money on this scheme not making a single bit of difference to downloaders. They only people this might potentially effect is people who use stuff like torrents and upload. And if you use something as insecure as torrents for sharing illegal fines you deserve what you get really, you might as well put a sign on your house saying CRACK FOR SALE, COME AND GET IT

No, he's saying that no one has the right to monitor everything you do on the web.

They aren't really, the server just tells them if something illegal has passed through it and who told it to be passed through.

Emasher would you be against the government recording all your telephone calls and scanning them for potential terrorist activity?

Emasher would you be against the government recording all your telephone calls and scanning them for potential terrorist activity?

That happens, doesn't it?

Here's the major difference: the internet isn't like a phone call. It's not like a phone call at all. The internet is like an open market: if you act suspicious, then they can keep an eye on you. On the internet, you're not necesarrily talking straight to someone. In a phone call, you are. But internet has evolved far past the telephone line. If you call someone, then the government shouldn't listen. But on the internet you're not calling to someone, you're calling to everyone. Where everyone is together, a goverment can see to it that there are laws. People have accepted the internet like a black, free market. Everyone buys just what they want for nothing. That can't be accepted of course.

Not that I don't watch something online every now and then, but we have to understand that this is nothing like a phone call with personal information. If you carry a gun to the airport, the government can arrest you.

They aren't really, the server just tells them if something illegal has passed through it and who told it to be passed through.

The server tells them if it's something illegal? How does it do that then? How do you tell if something illegal is being downloaded unless you have someone actually look at it?

Like I say, I very much doubt they're going to bother to read all your packets as you download, more likely they'll do what they usually do, leech torrents and log the ips of the seeders who send them the file fragments. The main difference is going to be the method of warning/punishment.

Internet is much more like recording a phoncall than searching someone at an airport by the way. How is monitoring one form of a person's communication different from any other?

Internet is much more like recording a phoncall than searching someone at an airport by the way. How is monitoring one form of a person's communication different from any other?

What can you do in a phone call? Talk. The closest you come to stealing a song with a phone call is singing it, or playing it on your stereo for the other person te hear. What can you do with internet?

There's a fundamental difference between phone calls and internet: the possible communication can be dangerous. How does that compare to an airport? Well, why aren't you kept an eye on when you get into a taxi? Because the taxi is like a phone call - just you, really hard to do anything wrong. The airport, however, is a place where a lot of people can exchange a lot of information and so you're more policed. You need to be policed in places where people get together, and that's exactly what the internet is.

I don't want to be a sour grape here, but there's a point in this. If you cheat on a test in university, there's no second chance. If you get caught, you're screwed.

If you can steal a record from the record store, the store protects itself. They install camera's, they hire security or undercover agents. The internet is this huge store, only, there nobody securing it.

It's time there came some laws on the internet, or things will get out of hand.

And I'm playing the devil's advocate because your wacky laws don't apply to me. :wink:

I don't know where to begin - the technical and social problems in implementing laws on the internet, the ease of working around and hiding your presence or the slippery slope into a police state from censorship.

What can you do in a phone call? Talk. The closest you come to stealing a song with a phone call is singing it, or playing it on your stereo for the other person te hear. What can you do with internet?

There's a fundamental difference between phone calls and internet: the possible communication can be dangerous.

Uh, WHAT? Phone communication can be dangerous as well,that's why they bug phones! If they're monitoring your downloads they're also monitoring your message board posts, emails, IM conversations, your personal photographs you send. Should they open and read everyone's mail in case there are pirate CDs inside?

How does that compare to an airport? Well, why aren't you kept an eye on when you get into a taxi? Because the taxi is like a phone call - just you, really hard to do anything wrong.

Except taxis get bugged too.

The airport, however, is a place where a lot of people can exchange a lot of information and so you're more policed. You need to be policed in places where people get together, and that's exactly what the internet is.

OK, by this point I'm not sure if you're being serious or on a wind up.

The internet is this huge store, only, there nobody securing it

Possibly the worst attempt by a layman to explain the internet through metaphor since this one

Indeed.

But still, it's not entirely wrong what they're doing. It's still stealing and when you can steal, the government has the right to step in.

I just tried to defend myself but it's only later that I noticed I didn't even know what I wrote in the last sentence. There you have it, on paper, my testimony.

So say I'm torrenting the latest Football Manager Patch, released free on torrent by Sports Interactive. The fact that it uploads it while it downloads is considered illegal?

You live and learn.

I thought you were refering to downloading for "back-up" purposes. Never mind...

TBH I could care less. I almost never use phones.

Sign in to follow this