NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

Piracy crackdown! Thoughts...

Consumers who illegally download games/movies/tunes will be cut off from the internet under new Government proposals, according to the front page of The Times.

Internet Service Providers will be required to adopt a three-strike system. An email warning will be sent the first time a user illegally download copyrighted media files, whilst the second infringement will result in a suspension. For a third offence, the ISP will terminate the user’s contract.

Broadband companies who fail to enforce the regime will be prosecuted.

Does this mean web users have no privacy now? If Royal Mail started opening all of my letters because they feared I was a terrorist because I had visited osama.com multiple times a month would that be fair too?

I guess if your monthly downloads are exceeding a set amount this means my ISP will look into it...with the vast amounts of free staff they have.

We've pretty much all known someone who is involved in software piracy at some point or another yet is this a step too far?

Your thoughts people...

yeh this sucks for me I do download a fair few naughties. But at the end of the day if your caugth speeding your get a fine or a ban. Why not the same with downloads?

________

MEDICAL MARIJUANA STATES

Edited by fex

I'm not sure what exactly they'll be tracking. Torrentz? 089345A.flv files? I really doubt that anyone will be able to do this, however: you are stating an American Newspaper, so that doesn't ean a lot over here (in Belgium at least).

In America this is possible, in Belgium (I'll be locally, I don't know anything about you guys) this is nearly impossible. Because of privacy laws (wich the PAtriot act killed in America) you shouldn't be able to do this. I think, however, this probably concerns peer to peer networks, and not flv downloads or torrentz.

On a sidenote, no internetprovider can check the specific contents, like web pages. What is a good trick to download anything is using Safari's Activity Monitor Window, wich will allow you to double click the largest file and download it, the flv file. I Doubt any provider will be able to check this.

This is just a law to be able to do this to serious offenders.

EDIT: confused newspapers, but can't seem to find any article in the official website of the UK Times, and didn't see anything on our local official news site De Redactie (deredactie.be), wich keep almost up-to-the-minute track of everything.

Bullshit, therefore.

yeh this sucks for me I do download a fair few naughties. But at the end of the day if your caugth speeding your get a fine or a ban. Why not the same with downloads?

I guess that could work... Say you have a PC game on your hard-drive you then must cough up the RRP for that title?

Maybe that would work but it would constitute a hell of a lot of work on behalf of the police/ISP or whoever else would be responsible for noting the exact download. A ban is an easy way to knock it on the head..Even if big downloaders will just resign up with a new ISP.

The steps taken so far such as limited downloads per month, and publicised media warnings and "examples" on the news are just factors into scaring the little folk like us.

I'm sure it's the big ass downloaders that this applies to. So you download an album for nothing but there is always someone else downloading every album ever made and making cash with those albums. That's who they are trying to get the message to.

They can't stop what the ISPs can't see :)

Regardless, i don't really do that stuff any more. I've got the money to pay for stuff these days!

This is a good policy, I hope it gets adopted by all developed countries.

Maybe if they catch them using another ISP they will get thrown in jail.

How are they going to be able to tell if its illegal or not?

Considering you can purchase large software off the internet, legally download torrents and music files. I can't see how they could possibly even tell that what you are downloading you've not paid for.

I think it's a good step forward, it seriously annoys me how I buy all of my music/films/games and other people are just downloading for free.

And I can see someone saying "then why don't you just download for free then" it's because I'm one of the people who are trying to keep sales up, encouriging them to make more of the stuff I like.

Because if nobody does anything about this, I can see the music industry going down the pan soon.

If they do manage to do this, the only thing that changes is that a few people will make lots of money selling this stuff in the black market.

Piracy has a positive affect on music sales and especially in money given directly to artists. The evidence is everywhere, especially visible in the uprising of indie bands these days. The reason that "the music industry" aka "RIAA" is losing money is because nobody is buying their shitty bands albums anymore.

I think movie piracy has a very tiny effect on cinema sales and a larger effect on DVD/BR sales.

Games piracy is really hurting the industry but I can't see any way around it other than a WoW model if you like that type of game. BTW If you put a game on Steam I'm much more likely to buy it.

Piracy has a positive affect on music sales and especially in money given directly to artists. The evidence is everywhere, especially visible in the uprising of indie bands these days. The reason that "the music industry" aka "RIAA" is losing money is because nobody is buying their shitty bands albums anymore.

I think movie piracy has a very tiny effect on cinema sales and a larger effect on DVD/BR sales.

Games piracy is really hurting the industry but I can't see any way around it other than a WoW model if you like that type of game. BTW If you put a game on Steam I'm much more likely to buy it.

I think it has less effect on those, the one with the most problems is digital downloads themselves. If piracy on the web is so easy, movies will never really become big in digital distrbution. Also, I doubt it's aomsething Blu-Ray worries about since they are almost no Blu-Ray writers out there and download 25 Gb of data is way to much traffic for the regular man (my internet at home, for example, only has 10 Gb of up and download, like most people). DVD could be affected.

Average size for 1080p Blu Ray rip is 8GB and hard drives are cheap. Yes, most people will have connections that don't allow for movie downloads, but at least 30% of consumers DO.

Isn't it 100% legal to download music/DVDs/games (well, PC ones anyway) if you own them?

All hail the patriot act or should I say the idiot act?

I think the ones that will suffer the most are the ISP themselves. Ok they're going to kill off the illegal downloaders and then these people notice they don't need their extremely fast internet anymore and switch to something a lot cheaper so the ISPs income goes down.

And as someone already said I think the ones suffering the most from piracy are the ones stuffed with money. And Indie band/movies etc. profit of the now wider audience.

Sure piracy is nothing to compliment though because it is still some form of stealing but it's just taking it too far that ISP will now monitor what you do on the internet.

However I don't really care. I can download ANYTHING legally in Switzerland as long as I don't upload myself :D

...I can see the music industry going down the pan soon.

The music industry only has itself to blame. Artists make a fortune doing shit all.

They should get money for how many bums they put on seats at their gigs. Working like a real job. Sitting in a studio and pumping out an album shouldn't constitute cash. Live music should, that's where the work is. Just like it used to be many moons ago, I say fcuk the music industry. It's all wrong today kids.

Amen.

Isn't it 100% legal to download music/DVDs/games (well, PC ones anyway) if you own them?

Yes, and I wouldn't feel badly about downloading a console/handheld game I owned either.

1, This will never fly in parliament, it breaks civil liberties and several information acts.

2, If it ever was passed, it would be near on impossible to put into practise due to several factors.

3, If points 1 and 2 go into motion, whats stopping people from using encrypted connections, proxies or anything else to disguise themselves?

Yes, and I wouldn't feel badly about downloading a console/handheld game I owned either.

In the UK it's not legal at all. It's not even legal to rip a CD you own onto your computer.

In the UK it's not legal at all. It's not even legal to rip a CD you own onto your computer.

I know for software you are able to create a backup and theres nothing wrong with that at all. Therefore im sure its perfectly legal to back up your music CD's. That just sounds stupid, if its true. Therefore 99.9% of Mp3 players would pretty much be illegal apart from songs bought from itunes etc. And the little button on iTunes saying import CD shouldn't be there.

________

LAOS COOKING

Edited by fex

OMG that link has just shocked me. That has to be the most retarded thing..... ever

It's about as good as.... A man who is banned from driving gets caught driving, he'll most likely get a fine and a longer ban from driving.... wait ...... a longer ban from driving?!!? The guy must be laughing when this is his punishment, because he'll just go out and do the same again that ban from driving doesn't really affect him. Well done goverment. Clap Clap Clap. Now just introduce some Sharia law, and import another 14 million more Polish and I'm out of this country.

________

Walmart gift cards

Edited by fex

Its legal in the US to Rip CDs hence the button in iTunes. It actually is illegal in the US to rip a copy protected DVD because in the US its illegal to by-pass any kind of copy protection.

In Canada its legal to do both.

The main thing that gets me about file sharing music and programmes is when I hear that it's "costing the industry" X amount of millions or whatever. In order for it to cost the "industry" that much though logically most of the files have to be the property of companies who already make billions. The filesharing of small independant artists and programmers meanwhile appears more likely to increase their sales.

Also, society needs to rethink it's whole relationship with data. Surely the whole point of turning something into a piece of data is that you can now create limitless copies of it at zero cost?

The main thing that gets me about file sharing music and programmes is when I hear that it's "costing the industry" X amount of millions or whatever. In order for it to cost the "industry" that much though logically most of the files have to be the property of companies who already make billions. The filesharing of small independant artists and programmers meanwhile appears more likely to increase their sales.

Also, society needs to rethink it's whole relationship with data. Surely the whole point of turning something into a piece of data is that you can now create limitless copies of it at zero cost?

Honestly, thats bullshit. Small indie labels/artists get ALOT more money from CD sales than artists on sony for example who get like 15p per cd sale, The best way to support bands is going to gigs and buying merchandise. It doesnt increase there sales.

Sign in to follow this