NEurope
Twozzok

The smoking topic.

Welcome to the Smoking topic. I realised we haven't had one of these for a few months and decided it was time to start it up again.

So smoking, love it? hate it? what brand is best? worst? Maybe you smoke Shisha or Cigars. Maybe you're a pipe man. Whatever you're PoV lets have a discussion!

Why is it necessary to keep bringing up past topics?

My opinion is that smoking is stupid, costly, smelly and generally vile. People have the right to do it in their own home which i think is appropriate as it costs tax payers millions of pounds a year to treat smoking related illness which is self inflicted mostly.

Never tried, never will. I see no reason to start in the first place, it's a horrible habit.

Because sometimes it's refreshing to have a new take on an old arguement.

As an aside, I really like your sig, the swirls around your u/n are kinda the style I want on my tattoo :o

Helolo! I smoke. I know people hate it, but I smoke. It's enjoyable in parts, but also clearly a bad thing.

I like to think I'm a considerate smoker, that I don't blow smoke in people's faces, don't smoke when they're eating and so on. I don't like how people who have nothing to do with my life try and make me stop, like, for the good of mankind or something.

Smoking can be sociable, and serves as a common-ground with random strangers all over the place, which adds to entertainment of teh world.

I just got a Zippo lighter for xmas (from Shorty), which basically means I'm not allowed to give up for a while, seeing as it's got a lifetime guarentee and all.

Twozzok I'm sure I remember when you started smoking, and how you were, like me, not wanting to smoke when you were sober, then not willing to smoke if it meant buying your own. It is truly a slipping slope and an addictive thing, and something that we turn a blind eye to because we don't see the negative effects of it 'til our older years... But to me it's still a symbol of choice, of doing something that I want to do because I choose to, and the more people against it just means the more I want to smoke.

My opinion is that smoking is stupid, costly, smelly and generally vile. People have the right to do it in their own home which i think is appropriate as it costs tax payers millions of pounds a year to treat smoking related illness which is self inflicted mostly.

are you saying they do not have the right to smoke outside? Are we going to bring up the argument that smokers pay their own way in the NHS and that car fumes are far more harmful to the environment?

My dad smokes, my mum smokes and my brother smokes. I don't plan on taking up smoking, but I hate the general view over smoking.

For instance, I hate the anti-smoking adverts where they're using those party-things, whatever they're fecking called, and that girl just stares at her parents while they 'smoke' those party-things as if to say 'You killed me using them', oh fuck you, you little bitch. *smack* :nono:

I tried it when I was like 14 and didnt like it at all.

Think I have had a puff on a few since then including cigars but I still don't like it and don't get the whole smoking thing really.

I don't care if others smoke around me and don't feel the need to smoke myself or that im missing out on something amazing.

So yeah.

I like to think I'm a considerate smoker, that I don't blow smoke in people's faces, don't smoke when they're eating and so on.

This is me too, I hate smoking indoors, and feel like such an ass if I exhale and the wind blows it into someones face :(

I don't like how people who have nothing to do with my life try and make me stop, like, for the good of mankind or something.

I still get really annoyed when people do the fake cough when they walk past. Especially when I'm just in the corner outside the station about 10 metres from the entrance, and I get dirty glares and fake coughs.

Smoking can be sociable, and serves as a common-ground with random strangers all over the place, which adds to entertainment of teh world.

Oh god, I've made so many friends and acquaintances from being a smoker, means If none of my friends are about I still have someone to talk to :)

I just got a Zippo lighter for xmas (from Shorty), which basically means I'm not allowed to give up for a while, seeing as it's got a lifetime guarentee and all.

My zippo got stolen, 'twas a beauty :(

Twozzok I'm sure I remember when you started smoking, and how you were, like me, not wanting to smoke when you were sober, then not willing to smoke if it meant buying your own. It is truly a slipping slope and an addictive thing, and something that we turn a blind eye to because we don't see the negative effects of it 'til our older years... But to me it's still a symbol of choice, of doing something that I want to do because I choose to, and the more people against it just means the more I want to smoke.

Haha, yeah. I just don't care about quitting until I feel like I want to.

EDIT:

are you saying they do not have the right to smoke outside? Are we going to bring up the argument that smokers pay their own way in the NHS and that car fumes are far more harmful to the environment?

Was it something like, tobacco tax intake was nearly 5-times as much as tobacco related hostpital costs or something?

I'm saying i shouldn't be forced to breath in someones fumes, from a totally pointless habit. Although car fumes are prevalent and bleurgh, the petrol driven car will die out, unlike smokers unfortunately. Plus people who own cars pay loads more tax but meh, nothing will change amazingly and i feel the government have taken the right stance with the 18 year old age limit and banning smoking in enclosed public spaces.

As an aside, I really like your sig, the swirls around your u/n are kinda the style I want on my tattoo :o

t'was a Fresh design.

I don't smoke cigarettes. Tried it twice, hated it.

However, I do enjoy a very occasional cigar, say, at a party or something. Good stuff.

I don't ever want to smoke cigarettes.

I smoked Shiska (that's the thing in that big Caterpillar-from-Alice-n-wonderland-esque device isn't it/) twice. Seems a bit random, since it kinda did nothing.

I'm saying i shouldn't be forced to breath in someones fumes, from a totally pointless habit. Although car fumes are prevalent and bleurgh, the petrol driven car will die out, unlike smokers unfortunately. Plus people who own cars pay loads more tax but meh, nothing will change amazingly and i feel the government have taken the right stance with the 18 year old age limit and banning smoking in enclosed public spaces.

I agree with you on your latter two points; the smoking ban has worked out perfectly fine - that is, if pubs and clubs have appropriate facilities. I do, however, find it unfair that for those who work on the 10th floor of a building have to exit the building entirely in order to do something that isn't illegal, thus wasting their breaks. Or that open-air-- and I mean totally roofless railway stations also fall under the "workplace" rule, or that if you're a smoker in your workvan with another smoker, you're not allowed to smoke.

I also agree that raising the smoking age limit is a perfectly fine thing to do. There's no reason for anyone to take it up at any age -- but the fact is that once they do take it up they should not be persecuted for it. People who own cars pay more tax for sure, but can you really say they are paying their way for not only roads, road police, but also car-related hospital injuries, the cost of car crime, of pollution? The petrol-driven car will die out only because we'll end up burning the entire source of power, in exchange for utterly unequivocal damage to the environment which, surely, is far more important than any human life, considering it's the environment we rely on for survival?

As for smoking being a pointless habit - besides the point that most habits are pointless, that most things human beings do day-to-day are pointless, you think the majority of car journeys are necessary?

But no, you should not be forced to breathe in anyone elses fumes. That is for sure. But where do you draw the line? I personally hate the smell of farts, yet I find myself involved with them from time to time. I don't like bad breath, I don't like the smell of cabbage or broccoli boiling. I don't like the smell of 99% of pub toilets, yet I am 'forced' to breathe these things in certain situations that I have, or have not, put myself in.

There are more factors involved than meets the eye. I don't believe that if someone says "i have the right to not breathe in smoke" means that they have to oppose everyone who smokes, because not everyone who smokes forces them to breathe it.

I smoked Shiska (that's the thing in that big Caterpillar-from-Alice-n-wonderland-esque device isn't it/) twice. Seems a bit random, since it kinda did nothing.

Shisha I guess.

Basically you smoke that for the flavour, seeing as it's flavoured tobacco. Apparently Sour apple mixed with Rasberry is the best.

EDIT: jay, you still smoking Amber Leaf?

I smoke but me and my girlfriend have agreed we'll be giving up after her 30th birthday (mines 3 weeks before that) which is a couple of years away.

I enjoy it, and used to love chilling out with friends having a fag and a coffee. Which we can't do now, as most coffee places don't have an outside area, and it's usually too cold in this country.

I think the ammount of tax on petrol and ciggies is pretty much the same to be honest. At least £4 of a £5 pack of fags is tax, so I easily spend more on ciggies than I do on petrol, not sure on the exact percentage but I do think they are very similar.

I think the smoking ban was a very bad idea, not just from my own point of view. But I can see a lot of business's going out of business because of it. Was so nice last summer on holiday in Lanzarote, sitting outside having a nice coffee and a ciggie :D

Twozzok: Recently I've been mixing it up a little. Moved down to Gold leaf for money's sake, had a bit of cherry tobacco (which I DEFY anyone to not like the smell of, even if they hate smoking), then some Drum, and now back on Gold leaf. It's nice to mix it up every now and then to get a taste of something new. I've started using the OCB premium papers, as I feel I need to level up my rolling skillz :P

Twozzok: Recently I've been mixing it up a little. Moved down to Gold leaf for money's sake, had a bit of cherry tobacco (which I DEFY anyone to not like the smell of, even if they hate smoking), then some Drum, and now back on Gold leaf. It's nice to mix it up every now and then to get a taste of something new. I've started using the OCB premium papers, as I feel I need to level up my rolling skillz :P

Cherry tobacco, is possibly the godliest thing I've ever had the pleasure of smoking. It's the only thing that'll make me physically /want/ a cigarette.

Coconut was possibly the worst, I gave 50g of it away because the smell of it made me feel sick :(

EDIT: Recently I had to have B&H Blacks, instead of silvers, and by god they were foul, nearly as bad as Marlboro Lights >_<

I don't like smoking, but can't stop people from doing it. I am a non-smoker in case anyone is wondering.

I hate the smell of the smoke when it gets in clothing and i for one was happy when the smoking ban came into effect last year, i can enjoy my drink without the smell of stale smoke

Smoking is bad kids, never did it never will.

I don't understand why people would want to breath smoke into their lungs, it makes no sense to me and god the smell is awful.

Hehe, trust the English student to see it as a symbol of freedom :heh:.

Jokes. I <3 you. Rly rly.

Anyway, I don't smoke, except for if I'm out with friends, and I'm offered a cig or two, I don't refuse. Also: I used to smoke weed, but given that up cause it made my hair fall out.

Weed made your hair fall out?! Dewd. Srsly? Man. Well Weed's how I took up smoking in the first place; walking home at 3am from a mate's house after a hefty blaze, needing to inhale something to fit the routine. I started smoking weed more and more, thus needing the schedule-filler more and more... then I gave up weed! My dad actually said that he wished I still smoked weed and gave up tobacco - but personally I'd rather have my mind than my body.

I hate smoking. Despite the fact I'm smoking hot : peace: (I know I will die in my sleep for that) It just baffles me that anyone can think it a good thing, people saying it acts as a sort of conversation starter/social thing - so does alcohol! I was so glad when the public place smoking ban came in back in July, but I think we should eventually have it completely banned. Hopefully in future generations it will have become a thing of the past anyway, which I think it will.

so ipaul; should we move the debate towards drugs, in general? Because I can tell you people high on all sorts of drugs can show you a hell of a conversation.

Personally I think banning things is silly, that instead people should be so damn well educated (or does this lead to dangers of propagation? is that even a word? I do not know) that they choose to do as they please.

So what would the penalty be, in your eyes, for smoking? A year in prison? 30 days community service? Do you think we should outlaw suicide as well? :P Or people who refuse to have a bath and smell loads and are generally a nuisance to society? At what point do you distinguish between the 'good for society' and 'freedom'?

I am slightly exagerating certain points that I'm arguing, but I think in essence, there is truth in what I say.

The only bad thing I've realised about the smoking ban, is sometimes the place smells like man BO, which is a hell of a lot worse then smoke >_<