NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
darksnowman

Facebreaker K.O Party

Well, no thread for this one...? A lack of interest for a mere EA game, eh?

I just saw this trailer on GT and although it shows nothing of the game, you can get a feel for the kinda wacky atmosphere it might have.

IGN: So, EA's announced a new boxing title in Facebreaker. What do you think that's going to add to the marketplace?

Moore: Yes, Facebreaker. It's a very different kind of game. Think of "Fight Night" as Muhammad Ali, an authentic boxing experience, and, quite frankly, think of Facebreaker as one of my favorite titles of all-time, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing. It's a different type of game, it's an arcade boxing game.

When we look at our consumers, we talk about it, there are people who want to play authentic boxing, and there are people who want that more arcade style of play, and that's what Facebreaker represents.

I'm keeping an eye on it for the time being. Since playing Wii Sports Boxing I've been waiting for a proper boxing game to be announced and seeing as the other few haven't turned out so good I'm looking to Facebreaker.

dumb question but is this coming to Wii?

Hopefully, as Nintendo has foolishly neglected the Punch-Out franchise, id happily buy up this game instead.

Fuck sake why could we not just get fight night with wii controls -__- Bit tired of the "Games suitable for the whole family" vibe im getting.

I agree, i dont see the point in adding family-friendly controls when the game itself will not appeal to the whole family

but im hoping this game will alow for short bursts as well as a career mode

Fuck sake why could we not just get fight night with wii controls -__- Bit tired of the "Games suitable for the whole family" vibe im getting.

What? where did it say its a family game? and it's also coming to PS3 and 360.

Or did you just assume since its not fight night it must be a casual game?

dumb question but is this coming to Wii?

Hopefully, as Nintendo has foolishly neglected the Punch-Out franchise, id happily buy up this game instead.

Yup, tis. That world exclusive trailer on GT applies to both the Xbox 360 and Wii.

This is what Gonintendo had to say about it the other week:

EA Canada’s has announced a boxing game called Facebreaker for the Nintendo Wii. It features a unique cartoon-like style and uses fictional characters rather than real boxers. 1UP calls this game a “cross between Ready 2 Rumble Boxing and Team Fortress 2″, and I couldn’t agree more. Perhaps this could be my long sought-after alternative to Wii boxing!

And it was also reported on the main N-E site too.

As for the graphics, I'm not too worried that its not realistic. A Rocky game on the Wii would be great but if they get the controls working well in this then I won't complain.

What? where did it say its a family game? and it's also coming to PS3 and 360.

Or did you just assume since its not fight night it must be a casual game?

It's a cartoony game. Read about it on the CVG website. If they wanted to make a game that didn't appeal to all types due to gross realism they would have ported over fight night.

Fantastic title anyway. Gets to the point. Doesn't pull any punches, you might say.

It's a cartoony game. Read about it on the CVG website. If they wanted to make a game that didn't appeal to all types due to gross realism they would have ported over fight night.

If you're making a game on Wii, it shouldn't be out to be hyper realistic, there's next to no point as it's never going to compete in terms of realistic visuals with the other systems so Wii games should excel in having unique and interesting art styles. That's what Facebreaker has and it's a far more fitting match on Wii than Fight Night.

If you're making a game on Wii, it shouldn't be out to be hyper realistic, there's next to no point as it's never going to compete in terms of realistic visuals with the other systems so Wii games should excel in having unique and interesting art styles. That's what Facebreaker has and it's a far more fitting match on Wii than Fight Night.

I see what you are saying but don't agree. Where the game genre could demand it, I would want hyper realistic graphics even if they didn't match the capabilities of the other formats as the PS2 version of fight night still looked fantastic and the wii is capable of more than that.

Anyways as I said, games like Pro evo demand as realistic graphics as possible, as I want to be able to recognise the stars of football that make up my selected team. I don't want to play with some no name cartoon characters. Same thing applies to boxing. I would love to recreate fights like Hatton and Mayweather, Ali and Frazier.

Maybe I should mention that I didn't really like ready to rumble boxing.

Impressions from multiplayerblog.mtv.com.

EA’s ‘FaceBreaker’ Impressions - Not Just A Re-Skinned ‘Fight Night’

Posted by Jason Cipriano on 2/14/08 at 6:18 pm.

First there was “Boxing” on the 2600. Then came “Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!,” followed by “Super Punch-Out!!” on the NES and SNES respectively. The “Ready 2 Rumble” games followed on the PS1, Dreamcast and PS2. And finally, the “next-generation” of consoles have their own arcade-style boxing game. EA’s recently announced “FaceBreaker” is the next game to step in the ring.

I never really consciously made the choice to like boxing games. Sports games in general have never really been near the top of my list of games that I feel I need to play. But for some reason there is a special place in this gamer’s heart for boxing games — particularly the arcadey ones. That’s why, when I had the opportunity to sit down and check out a pre-Alpha demo for the game last night at an EA press event, I was more than a little more excited.

After being shown a quick trailer for the game I got to jump in and actually see some action in the ring. The demo was running on an Xbox 360 development kit. The two boxers from the trailer, the bald Russian Molotov and the flamboyant Spaniard Romeo, were duking it out in a standard-looking gym. Their fighting styles were distinct: Molotov was a big bruiser, while Romeo was quick and on his toes. As you might expect, they each had their own special attacks that emphasized their strengths. For example, Molotov would come at you with both fists, and throw you in the corner, and have his way with you. The character animation looked smooth and fluid, even thought it was an early build of the game.

When asked about how many characters would make the final cut of the game, EA was a bit tight-lipped, but I was told that each character would be unique and have a great background story, which, in my mind, is one of the most important elements of an arcade boxing game. They also said that the game would offer a variety of different environments to fight in as well, something that would be a step up from “Fight Night.”

Most of the stuff in the ring is what you’d expect. It’s a boxing game. However, the game gets it’s name from the fact that, as the fight goes on, the characters’ faces start to show quite a bit of wear and tear, hence the “Facebreaking.” Some of these moments are wrapped in quick, in-game, cinematic cuts scenes with quirky animation akin to a Looney Tunes wild take — with punching. The cut scenes did make it feel a little familiar to “Fight Night Round 3″ when you’re boxer was tired and about to go down, but not to the extent where the titles could ever be confused.

I was told that even though a core group of the team that worked on “Fight Night Round 3″ started this new project, they were trying not to emulate that more realistic fighting series. One of the most significant ways they are trying to distinguish the series is through the controls. I didn’t go hands-on with the game myself, but I was told that the controls are designed to be accessible. You won’t be throwing punches by tilting the control sticks in this one. You’ll do it the old-fashioned way: pressing buttons.

After being in development for about a year and a half “FaceBreaker” is looking pretty good, and should hopefully please the arcade boxing audience later this year. In the meantime I’m going to cross my fingers and hope Nintendo gets around to releasing “Super Punch-Out!!” on the Virtual Console to get me ready.

fb1.jpg

Yes just want we want, after the revolutionary controls of fight night, we want to go right back to button presses. Yes -__-

Ye olde info from CVG.

FaceBreaker dev: Wii version is "No port"

Thursday 8-May-2008 5:48 PM Developer spills in latest issue of Official Nintendo Magazine

EA Canada has said the Wii version of upcoming boxing game FaceBreaker will be almost a completely separate entity to its counterpart of Xbox 360 and PS3.

"In terms of game modes, controls, and gameplay we'll actually have a lot of stuff that the other systems won't," the studio told Official Nintendo Magazine in an interview.

"Since day one, we knew that we were taking FaceBreaker to the Wii. And we've learned that in order to be successful on the Wii, you have to create an experience that you can only get on this platform."

"So we chose to build just about everything from scratch specifically for the Wii. No port here folks. And for what it's worth, I believe that what FaceBreaker on the Wii lacks in super-duper, razzle-dazzle graphics, it more than makes up for by delivering a FaceBreakin' good time for you and your friends that you can only get on the Wii."

Elsewhere in the interview, the developer speaks on the influence of Punch Out and Ready 2 Rumble, which we consider the best boxing games of all time. To read the full interview, check out the latest issue of Official Nintendo Magazine, out tomorrow (May 9).

Personally i thought ready to rumble was a standard fighter, just with boxers and a comic feel to it. There was better, at the time, and since then like the awesome fight night series. Punch out, i have barely played, but it was awesome so I have nothing negative about that. Really wish there was a fight night out on the wii, although news of a new fight night in development was released so hopefully it will come across to the wii and give this some competition,

Huuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhh.... LLLLetssss Get Rreeeeady to Rrhuuuumblllleeee!!!!

Haha, its hilarious to see that after watching the ScrewAttack thing for Ready 2 Rumble boxing the other day. :laughing:

Anyway: *bump!*

IGN have their review up. Seems like Facebreaker is a bit of a middle of the road game- good to pick up and waggle, but lacking in depth if you want to try getting into it for a fuller experience.

...this isn't a boxing game; it's a fighter - there are still some redeemable qualities to the package, especially if you plan on having a few newbie "non-gamer" friends over for a little waggle-fest Wii party.

Gameplay 6.0

Not bad for a mindless party game, but it comes up way short in the balance department. Button mashing is the norm, super punches are overpowered, and fast speed makes counters tough.

Lasting Appeal 7.0

You get a few local multiplayer modes, a short arcade offering, but no online. Added light gun "get up" mini-game is interesting, but obviously a rushed throw-in. Basic, but fun in bursts.

Overall: 7.0/ 10

Can't complain at that price. If it's better than Wii Sports boxing then I'm game! It is motion control isn't it? I know people hate it, but I love Sports Boxing!

Sign in to follow this