NEurope
Kirkatronics

Zero Punctuation!

Remember, Yahtzee should not be taken seriously in any occasion.

On the contrary, I think he should, in a way. There's an article floating around the web by an Edge contributor and it makes the very good point that ZP reviews most games after they're released. The distinction here is that unlike most games websites and magazines, He's not in any rush to finish the game and meet a deadline. That makes it genuine criticism, not intended to affect sales. He's got far more credability than 95% of the gaming press.

On the contrary, I think he should, in a way. There's an article floating around the web by an Edge contributor and it makes the very good point that ZP reviews most games after they're released. The distinction here is that unlike most games websites and magazines, He's not in any rush to finish the game and meet a deadline. That makes it genuine criticism, not intended to affect sales. He's got far more credability than 95% of the gaming press.

speaking of Edge...their review had similar complaints about MGS4.

Perhaps, but he still has a lot of flaws, mainly the nitpicking of slight details (he makes them sound worse than they really are) or the fact that some of his major complaints may stem from the fact that he did not play outside of Very Easy (or because he misread "How to unlock Sonic").

And the biggest flaw he has, is that his credibility is reduced to genres he likes. So, he may be reliable when it comes to Action games and FPSes, but he's still very unreliable when it comes to RPGs, adventure games, platformers or fighting games.

If I'm looking for an opinion on a game, I'd go after a reviewer that seems to have the same tastes as I do, meaning ZP is reliable only for a part of the audience, while Edge, Eurogamer and the like have several reviewers to cover that.

But that doesn't really matter, because I was talking about his jokes and how he exaggerates on the details, not about his credibility as a reviewer. Maybe I should use smileys more often. :heh:

He's still going to give a better verdict than some guy who not only rushing to deadlines, but also counts on part of his pay-cheque coming from advertising bought by the publishers of the games he's reviewing. That's an inherently corrupt system, and not one to be trusted. Not to mention that most sites and mags use a 7-10 ratings scale.

He's still going to give a better verdict than some guy who not only rushing to deadlines, but also counts on part of his pay-cheque coming from advertising bought by the publishers of the games he's reviewing. That's an inherently corrupt system, and not one to be trusted. Not to mention that most sites and mags use a 7-10 ratings scale.

Those are good points, but reading a review is how I take the opinions, not by seeing a number at the end of the review, of course. And considering that, a decent number of reviews is usually good to have an idea of the game's strong and weak points, even if the reviews are slightly biased, or rushed.

However, when one of the reviews is made by a guy who doesn't like the genre, I can't possibly consider it, since I never know if his complaints are valid or not. Take Yahtzee's review of Phantom Hourglass, for example. I think his criticism is right to an extent, but he also complained about stuff that wasn't wrong at all (like saying Zelda is always the same game over and over...in a PH review. Y'know the game that has the most different interface of the series, not to mention standing out from the rest of the genre)

My point is, I'd consider his opinion more, if we weren't looking for different things in videogames. He likes mindless, quick fun (and blowing up stuff), and I look for different gaming experiences than that.

(P.S.: Gamespot is a bunch of unreliable wankers, and should not be trusted in any way)

The only problem is that he seems to suggest that Penny Arcade is good.

I did love the bit where he seriously ripped the piss out of Tim Burckley (sp) he is a giant twat.

I removed it earlier on, yes.

You can now say whatever the hell you want.

I felt it was needless and childish to still have it.

The dude must have a serious problem in the head to make that miscarriage comic.

His opinions aren't that objectionable, but his voice is grating, his style is a complete Charlie Brooker ripoff and he thinks he's incredible intelligent. None of his so called 'witicisms' land at all well and he just comes off sounding like an arse.

Cunt.

GENIUS!

I don't understand what's wrong with having miscarriage in comics. People talk about these kind of things in all other forms of mediums but not comics?

Don't get me wrong. It's rubbish. But not because of the issue.

A gaming comic about two men and girl living with a robot made out of an Xbox isn't the ideal place for a plot about miscarried children. You may as well use the Beano to discuss child molestation.

Good episode.

In other news cunty cunt cunt cunt cunty cunt cunt cunt.

Right.

Who wants to make a cunt thread?

Snip.

Did I just get fucking rick rolled by someones avatar?

Did I just get fucking rick rolled by someones avatar?

Pr0, huh?...

I loved this weeks one. "Well aware of the hypocrisy" says it all to me. He used to run a webcomic himself I believe, and most of the points he raised could be applied to him. But the part where he did a comic strip of himself etc shows that he isn't taking it too seriously, or where he says "you know, kinda like what I'm doing RIGHT NOW"

That's why I like ZP.

fuck shit piss.

I'm trying to decide, what is more childish; having the filter on, or all of us just swearing now because it has been lifted.

A gaming comic about two men and girl living with a robot made out of an Xbox isn't the ideal place for a plot about miscarried children. You may as well use the Beano to discuss child molestation.

I reckon you're on to something there.

fuck shit piss.

I'm trying to decide, what is more childish; having the filter on, or all of us just swearing now because it has been lifted.

They weren't affected by the censor to begin with. Meaning you're being a silly billy. ;)

Well then we again have two options; am I dumb, for misunderstanding what the filter was, or am I gentlemanly, for not having used enough of those kind of words to have noticed? :D

I had no idea what word Esequiel was meaning, I just used the four asterixes to show I was repeating his word :D

Granted, it was shit. But I don't see what was wrong with it as such.