NEurope
Twozzok

Microsoft making a formal offer for yahoo.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/01/microsoft-offers-44-6-billion-for-yahoo/

$44.6 Billion

:blank:

Microsoft just announced what has been rumored forever: a formal offer for Yahoo. Microsoft's proposal to Yahoo's board of directors represents $31 per share (a 62% premium over yesterday's closing price) or about $44.6 Billion. Steve Ballmer, CEO and big fan of developers, says, "We have great respect for Yahoo!, and together we can offer an increasingly exciting set of solutions for consumers, publishers and advertisers while becoming better positioned to compete in the online services market." Apparently, the deal was laid out in a letter sent by Ballmer to Yahoo's board just yesterday. Seriously. The letter confirms that the two giants have been discussing the topic since late 2006. It also appears to be a direct response to the Google threat as outlined in the following paragraph:

"Today, the market is increasingly dominated by one player who is consolidating its dominance through acquisition. Together, Microsoft and Yahoo! can offer a credible alternative for consumers, advertisers, and publishers."

The deal, of course, rests with the two coming to a "merger agreement" and Microsoft (and Yahoo to a limited degree) having the time to conduct the required due diligence. Microsoft is ready to begin immediate discussions and have a draft merger agreement ready for consideration. So Yahoo, ball's in your court. The world is wondering... what will you do?

Here's to hoping Yahoo! tell 'em to go fuck themselves. As much as Yahoo has declined the last few years, it can only get worse if Microsoft own it, I mean I'd still choose the Yahoo page over the MSN page.

id choose windows live messenger over yahoo. I dont think iv ever used yahoo for anything lol.

Google ftw.

I do use Live Messenger over Yahoo messenger, so this deal could be good for Yahoo, It does depend if Yahoo gets to keep their name or will they merge with MS

I just don't think the whole 'everything on one page' design works anymore...

like the MSN or Yahoo! page, it's just silly. If I want a search engine I'll go to Google, if I want the news I'll go to BBC's news page.

I hate these have everything on one page pages :/

Yahoo is a pain the ass. I still try to figure out how to get rid of of the Yahoo search engine in my browser. Accidently installed it when downloading another program because it was already cross checked and I pressed next without readinge everything.

I have never used Yahoo for anything, they have always had too much crap on the front page and a shitty design, I don't think anyone besides Americans use that site.

At least Microsoft is getting the right idea, so maybe its good for yahoo too.

I use MSN with my Yahoo email. They best not change my email address if they merge.

Tell 'em Yahoo. "Fuck Microsoft, Fuck 'em right off"

A bit of good news for a change! I really hope this deal goes through because at the moment there really is no competitor to Google. That company is just eating everything in sight!

I'd rather not see Microsoft gain more power, but i'd prefer that than have Google the owner of the whole internet!

Hopefully they rebrand too, never did like Yahoo or MSN. Windows Live ain't too bad though

I don't really care about Yahoo but MS gaining more "influence" on the Internet can't be a good thing.

One problem i have, i find Windows Live generally very slow compared to other websites.

Don't use it much anyway.

I get my news, emails, bookmarks and other stuff (like the Smash Bros. Dojo feed) on my Google homepage. I don't think I've visited Yahoo or MSN in over a year now.

This sucks, Windows Live is a crappy concept in general and Yahoo shouldn't become that, and I hate seeing Microsoft buying market share, instead of making their own with proper good ideas.

As annoying as most of the Windows Live/Yahoo shenanigans is, I prefer the former over the latter, so in my eyes this is a good think. Oh, and if MS or Google buy out AOL in order to remove a competitor, I shall happily offer them everything I own... :indeed: