NEurope
Gaijin von Snikbah

Fatal Frame 4

Fatal Frame 4 is coming to the Wii.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_Frame

The title is 'Rei ~Tsukihami no Kame~' or I suppose Fatal Frame: The Mask of the Lunar Eclipse. The key theme of the game is 'memories.' The pictures are from a 2 minute trailer that was shown.

Also, Keisuke Kikuchi returns as the producer, with Shibata Makoto as the director. Suda51 will also have directorial involvement as well. Summer 2008 release.

8.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

I think it looks good.

Fatal Frame 2 is the only game i've ever played thats actually physically scared me.

I dunno if i'd be able to play this without bricking myself.

Wow, that's great. Are those FMV shots though? They look so.. detailed? Hard to judge :hmm:

All FMV. That level of texture rez or poly count could not be done with the Wii.

Don't know much about the series so until there's some more info or real screens then it's all matter of fact stuff.

I cant wait for this. Love the FF series, by far the scariest games ive played. Wipe the floor with silent hill :D

Seems like a mix of FMV and in-game models. The first 3 pictures, especially the 2nd one seems do-able on Wii. Remember that Wii should be able to churn out graphics better (think higher res textures and better lighting) than the Cube. If Tecmo put as much effort into this game as Capcom did with RE4, it could be possible. Still, we'd have to wait and see. As trailers usually not quite represent the final product.

Im quite excited for this game, almost forgot its existence. Definitely one for my "wanted" list. Never played one in this series, but it always intrigued me, especially since it's like playing a Japanese Horror movie. Gotta love that :P

All FMV. That level of texture rez or poly count could not be done with the Wii.
I'd say it can, textures can really improve much on Wii compared to the GameCube as it has over three times the memory, and that polycount was achieved in Resi 4 too. As the game seems confined to small spaces, this level of detail is probably quite doable. It simply doesn't look as good as a 360 game, so either it's poor FMV or a nice effort. Judging the lack of shading, and the flatness of the textures (bump-mapped but not a large degree), my guess it's in game.

If it is, then yay at these developers, well done!

Seems like a mix of FMV and in-game models. The first 3 pictures, especially the 2nd one seems do-able on Wii. Remember that Wii should be able to churn out graphics better (think higher res textures and better lighting) than the Cube. If Tecmo put as much effort into this game as Capcom did with RE4, it could be possible. Still, we'd have to wait and see. As trailers usually not quite represent the final product.

I see what you mean but I really have to disagree with what you say about picture 2. The profile of her back and the necklace, the folds and profile of the frills on her shirt, just indicators of a hi-poly model. Also think that there are too many atmospheric effects going on in pic 3 for the Wii to be able to do it.

Personally I doubt these things automatically, because if they are all fmv then i wont be disappointed and if they're not then ill be very happy. Tell you what though, if they are in game then the texture artists need the highest award for texture artists in the world.

I see what you mean but I really have to disagree with what you say about picture 2. The profile of her back and the necklace, the folds and profile of the frills on her shirt, just indicators of a hi-poly model. Also think that there are too many atmospheric effects going on in pic 3 for the Wii to be able to do it.

Personally I doubt these things automatically, because if they are all fmv then i wont be disappointed and if they're not then ill be very happy. Tell you what though, if they are in game then the texture artists need the highest award for texture artists in the world.

Those things you mention don't have anything to do with polygons, as they are achieved with bump mapping and other techniques the Wii has superior capability of over compared to last gen. The bump mapping on her model is something the Wii can handle. Also, the atmosphere is mainly achieved because it's all very grey, and some because of some fog effects the N64 could do. The Wii did this level of detail in the Resident Evil games, in fact, I think that the RE Zero characters were even more detailed.

Those textures are more than commonplace in 360/PS3 titles, nothing to get fussed about really.

Anyway, IMJ could be right. I'm finding it hard to believe a developer would put so much effort in a Wii game at once. In that case, this isn't very good FMV, as it's all really bland, and doesn't go beyond a 360 game at all.

What I don't see mentioned is that it's actually being produced and published by Nintendo and developed by Grasshopper Studios and Tecmo.

Those things you mention don't have anything to do with polygons, as they are achieved with bump mapping and other techniques the Wii has superior capability of over compared to last gen. The bump mapping on her model is something the Wii can handle. Also, the atmosphere is mainly achieved because it's all very grey, and some because of some fog effects the N64 could do. The Wii did this level of detail in the Resident Evil games, in fact, I think that the RE Zero characters were even more detailed.

Ok, wait a sec. A lot of what we are discussing is all very debateable due to the nature of screenshots. A lot of the effects and dynamics (both atmospheric and texturing) that you are quoting about the Wii being able to do are all good and fine until stuff starts moving and it looks like crap. Yes dynamic fog is in RE4 and it looked great but dynamic fog combined with several points of dynamic lighting i see as being very edge of the envelope for the Wii and as we have all stated, what are the chances of Tecmo actually managing that?

Dont understand how you think that the frills around the collar could be that smooth. From the angle they are at they look like a folded single plane with an opacity map on it. The curves of the fold again are too smooth for it to be low poly.

Also I think that you need to take a look at the poly count for the chars in Res4. Not as high as i think you remember them to be.

I fucking hate project zero but wtvr :P Also the game was anounced a while ago, but the pics are new so cheers

Ok, wait a sec. A lot of what we are discussing is all very debateable due to the nature of screenshots. A lot of the effects and dynamics (both atmospheric and texturing) that you are quoting about the Wii being able to do are all good and fine until stuff starts moving and it looks like crap. Yes dynamic fog is in RE4 and it looked great but dynamic fog combined with several points of dynamic lighting i see as being very edge of the envelope for the Wii and as we have all stated, what are the chances of Tecmo actually managing that?
Yeah, that's probably all true. The model is really detailed, but those fog effects are nothing too fancy; I really doubt the lights are dynamic if they are in game.

Maybe they are target renders. Cheers to Nintendo producing it.

In-game or FMV, we'll find that out fairly soon I think. The fact that Nintendo is apparently producing and publishing this game is even more promising, well, according N-E's news report.

It means the this game will get the attention it deserves. It will be properly marketed and become a key 3rd party game, one with high production values at that. Hm, who knows, maybe the developers can surprise us after all and it'll be in-game after all, woohoo :P

EDIT:

Nintendo is indeed publishing AND producing this game. Over at IGN, they even mentioned a rumor that Nintendo may have purchased the franchise o_O (http://wii.ign.com/articles/848/848721p1.html).

I say WOW, if true. Still, with Nintendo funding the project (my guess), along with long-time series producers handling the development I'm sure it'll turn out to be a worthwhile game. Add in the craziness of Suda51 and we will have a hard to resist title!

guys I don't think this can be ingame. Generally when pics like this are revealed this early, they're all from the same build/run. This isn't always the case, but generally if one pic is FMV it's all FMV, and vice versa.

The pic outside, is definetly not ingame. Ignoring the environmental effects, the leaves and blades of grass, plus the depth of field, is well beyond what the Wii is capable of. It looks far better then anything Oblivion ever flung at the screen, and we all know Oblivion isn't gonna be running on Wii. Hell, the quality of the building leaves and grass look better then Crysis running at very high, I'm certain that pic there is FMV.

Hence, chances are the rest are too. I'd love to be wrong, but I'm really not going to get my hopes up on this. Either way though, with Nintendo backing them I'm sure it's going to be a very ncie looking game.

For me, this is so obviously FMV. The general look and style of those screenshots screams FMV to me and tbh, I think it's "ok" FMV at that.

If anyone has played any of the Fatal Frame games then they should know that those shots look like the artwork from the game's FMV. It was probably just a trailer more than anything else. Still it is fantastic that it is coming to the Wii. I played the first two and they were really good, especially the 2nd, that one goes down as the spookiest game ever made!

I remember seeing a Trailer from Fatal Frame 2 in a Youtube Video...

I would never be the same again :'(

But, i wish good luck to Nintendo for the project :)

(Nintendo with a Survival Horror Game? Clap Clap)

Nintendo is indeed publishing AND producing this game. Over at IGN, they even mentioned a rumor that Nintendo may have purchased the franchise o_O (http://wii.ign.com/articles/848/848721p1.html).

I say WOW, if true. Still, with Nintendo funding the project (my guess), along with long-time series producers handling the development I'm sure it'll turn out to be a worthwhile game. Add in the craziness of Suda51 and we will have a hard to resist title!

If true, this is very, very interesting. Something very un-Nintendo, unfortunately so. Could Nintendo be buying back the hardcore gamer?

If true, this is very, very interesting. Something very un-Nintendo, unfortunately so. Could Nintendo be buying back the hardcore gamer?

I remember that quote recently from Iwata saying "if we only do games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit, players will be bored very quickly". That quote gives me faith that Nintendo knows what its doing. Sure, the Wii has the stigma of a casuals or even casuals-only console, but I think that will change over time. Without Wii Sports, the Wii wouldn't be where it is today. Developing the epic, grand games that we 'core' players like takes time. Adding Monster Hunter 3, Fatal Frame 4 to the Wii line-up and purchasing Monolith are three excellent moves. It gives Nintendo the opportunity to release/produce games that they aren't very good at, but are very important for a diverse line-up.

If they are be able to do their own thing, while securing some excellent 3rd party stuff, I don't see the Wii going anywhere but up.

As for the game itself, i really cant wait to see more of it. I may be too scared to play past the first 30 mins, haha!

Atlast, news about Project Zero for Wii! Happy days!

:yay:

But if those shots are ingame, I'm willing to eat my entire PZ-collection while doing a silly monkeydance.

Atlast, news about Project Zero for Wii! Happy days!

:yay:

But if those shots are ingame, I'm willing to eat my entire PZ-collection while doing a silly monkeydance.

In hindsight, those shots are more likely to be FMV stills rather than in-game. Would be crazy if they were though. Still, I think the game will look pretty good and very atmospheric. Anyone found a trailer yet?

EDIT:

If you read the main site you'd know that :awesome: