NEurope
Tellyn

Nintendo Enlargen Wii Dev Teams, Shrink DS Teams

Nintendo is serious about getting more quality Wii games out of their dev house. It was just announced this morning that Nintendo has started to add more people to their Wii dev teams. On the other side of things, they are taking people away from the DS side of development. No doubt that the DS side of things is doing wonderfully, and a smaller amount of people should still be able to handle things properly. The Wii is really coming into its own, and Nintendo wants to ensure it stays there with quality first-party software.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=34320

:(

DS games don't need as many people working on them as Wii games, so this is good news. With the money Nintendo make these days, why not just hire more people?

Considering Nintendo hardly put out any DS games at the moment, this will surely make the situation worse? The DS is a fantastic console and it seems as though they're leaving it to die.

The DS will be sustained by third parties for awhile yet, while the Wii is relying mostly on Nintendo games.

I don't see how this is in any way a bad thing.

:(
Eh?

This is a good thing, a very good thing. DS gets support enough as it is.

Good, excellent. This is something I was arguing in the "I can't believe they let..." thread. More effort into great Wii games please.

The DS library is simply huge, Wii in the meantime is in dire need of a good kick up the arse.

Fantastic news.

3rd parties are doing fine on DS so we'll always have great games (this year we've got a new castlevania, a new Ace Attourney game, Professor Layton and a new Ninja Gaiden game).

On the Wii side it's a different story.

btw as an English student I have to lol at the use of the verb "enlargen" which hasn't been used since Middle English (Chaucer's time).

(It's just "Enlarge")

sorry :heh:

They have enough money to hire new people, they don't have to add to an already terrible DS situation. I can't think of more than 5 titles worthy of purchase from Nintendo on the DS this year.

They have enough money to hire new people, they don't have to add to an already terrible DS situation. I can't think of more than 5 titles worthy of purchase from Nintendo on the DS this year.

Buy some third party ones then.

Buy some third party ones then.

I will, I just don't see why Nintendo don't support their current most successful console. I'm annoyed that it's left up to third-parties and second-parties to make decent games (which is kind of the reverse of the Wii's situation).

Right, because they don';t have the money to keep the DS Side going.

c'mon don't forget about the DS!!

I can think of dozens sitting on store shelves right now which I have yet to purchase.

Well personally I think this can only be a good thing. The DS is getting more and more great 3rd party titles which has taken time. Nintendo need the Wii to get to a similar point but need to support it more themselves...we cannot survive on their titles alone and the time will come like with DS when 3rd parties do up the ante. But that time is not now... Nintendo knows the DS inside out obviously and has seemingly pushed it as far as they can with regards to quality of products, and feel they can still make quality games with smaller teams.

DS game design and programming skills are suited to wii ware on the virtual console. This is probably whats happening.... i.e. dont expect a new zelda wii soon (unless its a 4swords adventure)

btw as an English student I have to lol at the use of the verb "enlargen" which hasn't been used since Middle English (Chaucer's time).

(It's just "Enlarge")

sorry :heh:

It's the same with the word "gotten" which lots of people seem to like to use even though it's no longer meant to be used. American's use it because they're a few hundred years behind us in terms of language.

On the Wii/DS thing I suppose it's a good thing for the Wii but either way I coulldn't care less as I no longer own either console and don't plan on doing so until Nintendo get their act together about WFC.

Less DS support? But there's not a single announced DS game that I want.

Still, more Wii support is good.

It's the same with the word "gotten" which lots of people seem to like to use even though it's no longer meant to be used. American's use it because they're a few hundred years behind us in terms of language.

On the Wii/DS thing I suppose it's a good thing for the Wii but either way I coulldn't care less as I no longer own either console and don't plan on doing so until Nintendo get their act together about WFC.

You sold your consoles to wait for them to sort it out instead of waiting for them to sort it out therefore going to make you have a net loss money wise for games and consoles?

This is a good thing

DS games don't need as many people.

The DS has proper 3rd party support.

I can't think of any DS games I want this year however remember that we haven't seen what Nintendo's line up is.

This better mean more quality titles and new franchises. Especially an RPG, I wanna see how well Nintendo can do a proper one.