NEurope
Twozzok

Universities and shizzle.

I know quite a few of you are doing your A2's at the moment, was wondering where everyone has applied to.

And to those who are at uni, how lenient were they if you didn't get the exact grades the offer offered.

Me? I've applied to Kent, York, Essex and Aston. All for Electronic Engineering, there's a relatively high chance i'll go into clearing though if I keep my current performance at school up :(

I've applied for Maths. Got turned down by Oxford, but got conditional offers from Warwick, Durham, York and UCL. The trouble I'm having is all of them apart from York want me to get an A in Further Maths. So if I don't get that A then I'm buggered.

Don't worry about it, seriously. I depends on the demand for that course and how many places they have it varies every year. I never met the requirements for my University yet I got in no problems. My principal at College was willing to ring the university up for people that didn't get in and back our case, the guy was a legend!

Just work hard thats all you can do and if its something your passionate about, then work will turn into a hobby and you will learn outside of you education. I enjoy photography and did far more than what was required, because I went out in my own time and I really wanted to learn.

________

Bmw e34

Edited by fex

Although I am not doing my A2s yet (or IB 2 in my case - look it up =P) I think I would most likely want to go to Durham University. I might apply to Oxford but: I don't think I would get in, might cost too much even if I could. Still not sure whether I would do English, Law or Geography though.

I got conditional offers from both my choices; Huddersfield and Bolton.

Huddersfield was a really last choice pick out of the blue. I'm really glad I found it. The Uni is pretty awesome. Bolton was one I had looked at but was only a back up if the worst of the worst happened.

I fail to get 260 points for Huddersfield they've offered me a Foundation course for less points. It's be preeetty hard not to get that amount of points.

I'm just waiting to get college done, I can get the 260 points easy I think.

My girlfriend has a degree in english and its next to pointless, the only job she can find that requires an english degree is teaching english

________

Zx14 Vs Hayabusa

Edited by fex

Havin' been through the whole UCAS thing and now at uni, having the best time of my life btw, it is as good as everyone says, I can say that UCAS is a big bunch of bollocks. Alot of the hoops the make you jump through are almost pointless, however they have to be done.

Like fex says normally unless you get dramatically less than what you are predicted then you won't get the offer withdrawn, and if you do then speak to one of your senior staff members and get them to ring up and as for a place, it's not too late on the day.

York is a pretty renown uni.. shame its typical 60s decor - but what can you do?!

And like someone above said - its to do with the amount of places they have left. My year was freakish in the fact that a lot of people with places accepted ones at other unis, so instead of needing AAB people got in with ABB.

Hull's cool too. Don't knock it until you try ;)

Gonna be doing Business Management at a possible 4 destinations. I've got conditional offers at:

Aston (went to the open day last week - wasn't that nice!)

Cardiff (going on Wednesday open day)

Royal Holloway (lovely building)

Oxford Brookes (going to see it on Feb 13th - open day)

My first choice is Royal Holloway. My sister went there and had a good time. Plus when I went up to see her, I had a good feeling about the place.

I needed BBC, but they let me in with CCD (although I was 5 marks in total off BCC) so yeah try not to worry to much about it if you dont get the results just ring the admissions department at the uni straight away.

If you don't make the grades it's usually a case of bargaining with the uni to see what can be arranged.

Sheffield Hallam - Games design

sheffield hallam - games programming

manchester mmu - games technology but now computing

stafford uni - games design

wolverhampton - games technology.

I've applied for games design at every uni, except sheffield which I applied for games design and then programming.

I didn't go to the stafford uni interview yesterday because I don't want to go, as soon as I get replies from sheffield things might be alittle easier to decide.

Because I'm doing a betc course (same as 3 a levels or something) instead of C's or B's I need MMM for most of the courses I applied for and GCSE gradeB in maths, which I didn't get so now I've done all my applied maths I should hopefully get into sheffield. a M is the same grade as roughly a C/B I believe, which isn't too bad for me =]

Gonna be doing Business Management at a possible 4 destinations. I've got conditional offers at:

Aston (went to the open day last week - wasn't that nice!)

Aston was awesome I thought, well, as long as you don't go in the back way :hehe:

EDIT:

a M is the same grade as roughly a C/B I believe, which isn't too bad for me =]

Btec grades go Distinction, Merit, Pass right?

Aston was awesome I thought, well, as long as you don't go in the back way :hehe:

EDIT:

Btec grades go Distinction, Merit, Pass right?

Yup, pass being the lowest, distinction being the highest :)

Huddersfield's well known for games design courses apparently.

Either way, you guys are all old bastards, i'm moving on to college this year.

I wasn't really interested in moving to huddersfield.

Never choose a university on just the uni, purely because you've not only got to put up with the course, but the lifestyle, the place, the people, the halls, or flat.

Huddersfield is one of teh coldest places on earth. TRUFAX!

... Currently doing English studies and yes, I am fairly aware that the degree by tiself will be getting me nowhere, but I imagine I'll lock myself away in a cupboard for five years living on baked beans from tines, writing the novel of the century.

I was required to get at least a B in english (which I did) and some sort of amount of points - 320, I think. I really can't remember.. Well I got the points too :P But yeah, if you don't get the points, they still might let you in. Even if they don't, like Kov found, they might well offer you a foundation course (so you'll be able to start the course you want to do after doing a year of 'prep' studies), or offer you a similar course which isn't full yet.

And then there's... I've forgotten what it's called... that thing... clearing? Well chances are there'll be a course for you somewhere... just got to be willing to spread your wings a little :)

Choosing my uni, I didn't bother going to any open days 'cept Hallam, as I was fairly sure I wanted to go there, and even that day I left half-way through the tour.

Soooo.. .yah. If you want to go to uni, you shall! Just don't be like my mate who never even turned up to see what a2 grades he got just because he was sure he'd fair. Nutter.

I've got conditional offers for computing at Sheffield Hallam and Leeds Met.

Need to get 3 more merits to meet the points score required.

I wasn't really interested in moving to huddersfield.

Never choose a university on just the uni, purely because you've not only got to put up with the course, but the lifestyle, the place, the people, the halls, or flat.

I chose Huddersfield purely because I read that Japanese can be taken on the side. I can apply for it off course or something or other. £260 a year which I am gonna do as soon as I find out how to apply for the course.

Also the place is nice. When I walked through there were a few annoying looking people but I could put them in their place. If Ashmats still there we'll make a crew.

Bolton rave about being the first Uni to offer games design that's why I chose them. But then I remembered Bolton is a bit too close and I want to move away but not too far.

(Plus the Ukrainian club is like a 15 minute walk from the Uni so I can probably get a place their if my dad makes some contacts)

see the nearest uni to me with any good standard on game design was manchester mmu, which I definetly stand living in. Purely based on my own opinion through seeing my ex in sheffield I decided it was better to go to shefs than manc.

MMU did games design?

Well you learn something new every day.

I chose Huddersfield purely because I read that Japanese can be taken on the side. I can apply for it off course or something or other. £260 a year which I am gonna do as soon as I find out how to apply for the course.

Also the place is nice. When I walked through there were a few annoying looking people but I could put them in their place. If Ashmats still there we'll make a crew.

Bolton rave about being the first Uni to offer games design that's why I chose them. But then I remembered Bolton is a bit too close and I want to move away but not too far.

(Plus the Ukrainian club is like a 15 minute walk from the Uni so I can probably get a place their if my dad makes some contacts)

Don't worry, i'll still be here ;)

When do/will you start?

September hopefully.

I should probably sort out the living stuff in the holidays...