NEurope
welsh_gamer

What's the worst thing that Nintendo have ever done?

I think the N64 was a huge problem for Nintendo: it was difficult to progranmme for, forced higher development costs onto developers (due to expensive media), launched with a high price tag (with revisions being made shortly after launch, creating problematic PR). These enabled Sony to capitalise - Nintendo abandoning the 'Nintendo Playstation' never resulted in Sony's dominance, t'was the mistakes made afterwards.

That said, for gamers, I don't think you can beat the N64 for great, timeless games.

Releasing a great game & then not localizing its sequel (baten kaitos...fire emblem?)

the N64 was a huge problem for Nintendo: it was difficult to progranmme for, forced higher development costs onto developers (due to expensive media), launched with a high price tag (with revisions being made shortly after launch, creating problematic PR).QUOTE]

yep i remember buying the n64 on launch day when it retailed for £249.99. About 6 months later they dropped the price to £150. I was pretty cheesed off about it after paying the higher price.

I wrote a letter of complaint to Nintendo, and to be fair they sent me a free official N64 controller ( £30 rrp) but if i had known i could have saved £100 by holding off a few months to get the machine i would have!

1, The fact that us in Europe get treated like shit. Its not an excuse when Microsoft and Sony release games within a week of each other.

2, The lack of HD in the Wii. Even a cheap upscaler chip would solve the issues.

3, Not creating more development teams when they are racking in more money than people in the oil business right now.

4, The lack of a decent online structure.

5, The lack of decent storage space.

1)EUROPE

1, The fact that us in Europe get treated like shit. Its not an excuse when Microsoft and Sony release games within a week of each other.

This is payback for our acts before the 20:th century, which in a way led to the abolishment of the samurais.

The most costly move, I think, was definitely dumping the joint "SNES-CD" project with Sony only to watch Sony do it by itself with the Playstation, and look where that got them! A few other very bad moves, the kind of bad moves that made everyone start saying they should go the way of Sega, were using cartridges instead of CDs with the N64, bullying and mistreating third-parties like they were still a monopoly and watching them flock en masse to Sony and Microsoft, the atrocious Gamecube-era marketing, and finally, missing the DVD and online bandwagon with the Gamecube. It's unclear to me how much negative impact the lack of online functionality had on the Cube, but it's pretty clear the lack of DVD hurt badly. The PS2 came just when DVD players were starting to be adopted by the masses, and facing with the prospect of buying a game machine AND a DVD players, or a game machine that also played DVDs, the market chose the latter.

Not developing a decent first/second-party effort to an FPS on Wii.

This is payback for our acts before the 20:th century, which in a way led to the abolishment of the samurais.

Nice one :D

Not developing a decent first/second-party effort to an FPS on Wii.

Nice one :D

Erm...have you forgotten about Metroid Prime 3?

LOL...however it were the Americans who raped Japanese culture and they get treated better than us!

LOL...however it were the Americans who raped Japanese culture and they get treated better than us!

Guess who let USA exist in the first place.

2, The lack of HD in the Wii. Even a cheap upscaler chip would solve the issues.

3, Not creating more development teams when they are racking in more money than people in the oil business right now.

What he said. The more I think about it the more it pi$$es me off. The only balancing force is the fact that Nintendo can make a good game. ('can' being in Italics...ie when they can be bothered to).

Its just their stubborness and conservatism that irks me. These traits are almost always what makes Nintendo second (or third) fiddle to the rest when they clearly have the greater potential to be leaders. Even with all these sells, I'm still not convinced Nintendo has gotten their finger out.

Jordan is right. Nintendo have the money to vastly improve their service in general but keep failing.

Erm...have you forgotten about Metroid Prime 3?

:D

Nope. Because that's an FPA. And a beautiful game in its own rights. But not a Crysis-beating, Halo-defeating First Person Shooter.

Guess who let USA exist in the first place.

Ooooh! Ooooh! Ooooh! I know that one! It was Xenu, right? Or the thetans?

South_Park_Xenu.jpg

After learning a bit about publishing, I can understand why no one wants to develop for Nintendo platforms. It's an offspring from their proprietary formats that forces any publisher (who isn't them) to front a grotesque amount of money at very high risk. Nintendo will publish a game themselves if they see profit in it but if they don't it can be very hard to get it on the table.

So in essence my gripe is the infrastructure of their company that makes it hard for them to do business with others. Nice one.

Nothing much comes to mind, apart from not putting a DVD player into the Gamecube and the general lack of innovation with that whole era.

________

Indica strains

Edited by the_mars_volta

Most will not agree with this, but i think going back to the "realistic" art style for Zelda, rather than keeping Wind Wakers' was a real mistake.

TP had alot less comedy and personality. I really wasn't involved with the characters like i was with TWW. And i really doubt well see another cel shaded Zelda on a home console.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? An upscaler chip? Do you know what that would do? Make 480 game fucking ugly (even the ones that already are). Making a console HD would increase the price tag a lot, games would take longer and be harder to develop and the developers would take years until they started focusing on the wiimote (and they're having trouble as it is). Just face it: Wii HAD to be SD if it wanted to be mass market. And I for one, don't care.

More developer teams?

I can think of at least Intelligent Systems, Nintendo EAD,Brownie Brown,NST, Retro, Monolith and skip (they're not Nintendo's but they only do games for Nintendo). Not to mention the lots of collabs they've been doing with 3rd parties?

Online infrastructure. Yeah it misses that, but then again, the point is not to have an infrastructure like LIVE, but to have online games, so to me the problem (even though I don't care because whenever I wanna play online, I play it with no problems) are friend codes and the lack of an OPTION to have more detailed online modes for those who want them. I for one don't care, but many people do. Still, the VC and channels like the Check Mii Out are pretty cool. The real problem I have with online is the Wii Connect 24. Wasn't it supposed to update automatically? Cause it doesn't. Unless Nintendo is trying to protect people who mod their Wiis I don't see what the hell they're waiting for.

Storage space with that I totally agree. For now I still have A LOT of space and it will take a while before I fill my Wii's storage and there's always the SD, but just supporting external HDDs would be so much simpler than making backups and deleting games again and again. Which kinda defeats the purpose of having old games ready to play in a sec.

No argument with those who diss NoE though lol

Also to whoever said making Zelda cel shaded and having mini DVDs... I really don't know what to say.

Of course this won't be seen as my opinion just mindlessly defending Nintendo. Don't care : peace:

Most will not agree with this, but i think going back to the "realistic" art style for Zelda, rather than keeping Wind Wakers' was a real mistake.

TP had alot less comedy and personality. I really wasn't involved with the characters like i was with TWW. And i really doubt well see another cel shaded Zelda on a home console.

I don't agree in the sense that I want a realistic art style for adult Link games and cel shaded for child Link, it's what I always wanted since WW. I would love something like OoT, where you have a child part (cel shading) and then an adult part (realistic). But if they don't make another celda on a home console I'll be very disapointed. Thankfully we have PH. Still, I don't think they should make the next Zelda cel shaded, but maybe the one after that.

EDIT: Oh I just remembered one thing. I understood that with GC Nintendo had to make all the DVDs and it worked out well because they kept piracy away for a long time. But why the hell are they doing this with Wii? They're just creating stock problems, spending money, making 3rd parties spend money and its kind of a turn off to develop for Wii. I really can't understand what they were thinking.

This post just proves you have no idea what you're talking about. An upscaler chip? Do you know what that would do? Make 480 game fucking ugly (even the ones that already are). Making a console HD would increase the price tag a lot, games would take longer and be harder to develop and the developers would take years until they started focusing on the wiimote (and they're having trouble as it is). Just face it: Wii HAD to be SD if it wanted to be mass market. And I for one, don't care.

Okay, heres the thing. The reason the games look so bad is because of HDTV's. The lack of anti aliasing also. The Wii is capable of anti aliasing. So few developers actually use it, its such a crime. Mario Galaxy looks great in 480p, upscaled it would look even nicer. Have you ever watched a DVD on an upscaler? It looks far better and the chips are so cheap to make i don't see why it was omitted. Instead or running straight to the video output, the Wii would simply go through a scaler telling it what or what not to upscale/downscale to from the original picture. That way if a game is created in 720p it downscales to 480i or whatever or upscales to 1080p if needed.

Having an upscaler chip does not make a console HD, far from it actually. The Wii doesn't have the processing power to create full HD images, it'd simply add more pixels to a displayed image.

More developer teams?

I can think of at least Intelligent Systems, Nintendo EAD,Brownie Brown,NST, Retro, Monolith and skip (they're not Nintendo's but they only do games for Nintendo). Not to mention the lots of collabs they've been doing with 3rd parties?

Yes, but in comparison to the amount of money they have and the few games that are being released by first party is almost criminal. Not to mention their Wii channels are constantly getting pushed back despite being simple applications.

Online infrastructure. Yeah it misses that, but then again, the point is not to have an infrastructure like LIVE, but to have online games, so to me the problem (even though I don't care because whenever I wanna play online, I play it with no problems) are friend codes and the lack of an OPTION to have more detailed online modes for those who want them. I for one don't care, but many people do. Still, the VC and channels like the Check Mii Out are pretty cool. The real problem I have with online is the Wii Connect 24. Wasn't it supposed to update automatically? Cause it doesn't. Unless Nintendo is trying to protect people who mod their Wiis I don't see what the hell they're waiting for.

Wii Connect 24 didn't really go well as planned imo. There are too few updates, the Wii's bios is too small to have any huge features added to it without using HDD space and the fact i can't have a universal friends list drives me up the fucking wall. Its not that its even that hard to impliment it. Same with the Mii's why is it that i can't just apply my code to my Mii and thats it? I'll be the only person using it.

Regarding the GC's discs. This wasn't probably just due to piracy. It kept several things in Nintendo's control:

1, form factor and size of the console.

2, it was probably contractual between them and Panasonic to create the discs in exchange for something.

3, A viable disc format if it ever took off.

4, Kept loading times dramatically down due to it having to read a much smaller area.

5, Nintendo could control who can't and who can make games for their system as they were the only company (imo) capable of making discs for the console.

Okay, heres the thing. The reason the games look so bad is because of HDTV's. The lack of anti aliasing also. The Wii is capable of anti aliasing. So few developers actually use it, its such a crime. Mario Galaxy looks great in 480p, upscaled it would look even nicer. Have you ever watched a DVD on an upscaler? It looks far better and the chips are so cheap to make i don't see why it was omitted. Instead or running straight to the video output, the Wii would simply go through a scaler telling it what or what not to upscale/downscale to from the original picture. That way if a game is created in 720p it downscales to 480i or whatever or upscales to 1080p if needed.

Having an upscaler chip does not make a console HD, far from it actually. The Wii doesn't have the processing power to create full HD images, it'd simply add more pixels to a displayed image.

Yes, but in comparison to the amount of money they have and the few games that are being released by first party is almost criminal. Not to mention their Wii channels are constantly getting pushed back despite being simple applications.

Wii Connect 24 didn't really go well as planned imo. There are too few updates, the Wii's bios is too small to have any huge features added to it without using HDD space and the fact i can't have a universal friends list drives me up the fucking wall. Its not that its even that hard to impliment it. Same with the Mii's why is it that i can't just apply my code to my Mii and thats it? I'll be the only person using it.

Regarding the GC's discs. This wasn't probably just due to piracy. It kept several things in Nintendo's control:

1, form factor and size of the console.

2, it was probably contractual between them and Panasonic to create the discs in exchange for something.

3, A viable disc format if it ever took off.

4, Kept loading times dramatically down due to it having to read a much smaller area.

5, Nintendo could control who can't and who can make games for their system as they were the only company (imo) capable of making discs for the console.

What I meant was in regard to the cheap upscaler. The reason most Wii games look like crap on HDTVs is exactly because of that. The cheap upscaler. The only way to make them "look HD" as you say is a= being HD or b)having a really good and expensive upscaler. For example, I played Wii on HDTVs with really good upscalers and it looked great.

Again, with the Wii Connect 24, like I said, friend codes. Not having a unified list sucks big time. But when play time comes, it always worked great for me so I have no complaints. No problem with the lack of updates, they do them when they're necessary.

Yeah those are also the reasons for the mini DVDS on GC I just didn't want to make my post longer :P

biggest mistake was probebly staying away from cd's in the 64 era. one of the reasons they lost square was due to the lack of cd limiting their vision for ffVII. that single game had a big impact on ps sales.

and just to clarify, the decline of the samurai was inevitable in the modern world, the 16th century introduction of gun powder to japan had deeply shaken samurai ideals, as a lowly peasant could now kill a high rank samurai, who were trained to fight one on one with men of equal rank. to compete in the modern world would seriously clash with samurai ideals, as elitists, they saw all outside of japan as barbarians, inferiour to the children of the sun goddess. as much as i admire the samurai they, like knights, have been overly romanticised. rather then crusaders for justice and honour, they were at the bidding of a master, with little will of their own, obident to the most wicked and crule of commands. that said, they were utterly selfless, very skilled, and in many cases fine artists.

and the samurai still exist, but their weapons are no longer the sword or bow, but the pen, and dollar, as buissiness men, and ocasionaly, they became yakuzza.

Did you know that samurais used to 'test' their blade on the peasants. they could be complete bastards at times too.

Anyways, nintendo's worst thing is that we have to put up with them defining how we play rather than it feeling like they are giving the customer what they want. It works when nintendo get it right, but with when they get it wrong it's painful like the obvious friend code and hard drive space.

Also, as i don't own any of the other consoles, it really feels like im missing out online play such as CoD4. There is almost nothing on the wii that attracts me to online play and I hate having to wait for smash bros being the first to have such an attraction. There aren't enough online options at the moment.

They haven't taught their fans grammer properly: "there, their and they're".

They haven't taught their fans grammer properly: "there, their and they're".

And grammar. ;)