NEurope
welsh_gamer

What's the worst thing that Nintendo have ever done?

1up!...Nothing beats a good contradiction.

He was practically begging for it, so kudos to him to. Bet it was all just a li'll scheme o' his.

online: SNES Sattelaview and 64DD say hi! But yeah you're right :P

Sattelaview wasn't online gaming.

64DD Is a serious rarity.

Friend codes, very bad idea.

Dumping Sony, but then again, the market could be different for the worse these days for all we know, if they hadn't.

Selling Rare.

A million mario spinoffs.

Dumping Sony, but then again, the market could be different for the worse these days for all we know, if they hadn't.

Yea. Sony's method of making gaming appeal to casual and non-gamers helped out gaming a lot.

Friend codes, very bad idea.

It's not a bad idea. It's just implemented terribly (one code per game).

Sattelaview wasn't online gaming.

64DD Is a serious rarity.

online: SNES Sattelaview and 64DD say hi! But yeah you're right :P

Reading comprehension ftw!

yeah, also. id like online chat in games, to explain im not quiting mario strikers, the connections just arse.

Things that bug me are all to do with Nintendo of Europe:-

The Stars Catalogue - promised so much yet delivered so little. The idea is sound, but they way they implimented it has been so awful that they have annoyed alot of their loyal fans - ironically the people that they were actually trying to please. I wish they hadnt bothered at all to be honest.

Also, I cant believe Nintendo Europe came up with the idea first, showed it to Nintendo of Japan, who though it was such a good idea that they made the excellent 'Club Nintendo' which shows how it could and should be done.

Regional lockouts - why are nintendo still carrying on with this? They cant even argue that its about varying TV standards anymore.

European releases - nuff said

Price Fixing - Nintendo fixed the price of games at artificiallly high prices during much of the 90's. Remember paying £49.99-£59.99 for games? They were actually fined £92.1m by the European courts for price fixing. More here:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2375967.stm

European Virtual Console - Inferior versions of our retro games, yes please nintendo! :indeed:

h yeah

Regional Lockouts for VC Games.

Seriously, why can't europe be allowed US games? It's bullshit.

Hmm, DK 64 was an abomination.

*Reloads Shotgun*

Probably sticking with cartridges for the N64, ultimately being shafted sales-wise (but IMO, not games-wise) by the PlayStation. They're doing much better now though.

let me see..

Making zelda cel shaded ( GCN )

using mini DVD discs for the gamecube

Selling Rareware to microsoft because of that we will never see another Killer instinct

and the worst thing is not giving us european a release date for europe ( smashbros Brawl )

mimi dvds were awsome, think it stopped pirates somewhat :)

Dumping Sony was most certainly the worst thing Nintendo ever did in terms of themselves and proved to be absolutely devastating to their brand which fortunately now their finally turning around the consequences into a positive, but the move most certainly benefited the industry as a whole. Unparalled diversity in game alternatives has been the result...

Okay, heres the thing. The reason the games look so bad is because of HDTV's. The lack of anti aliasing also. The Wii is capable of anti aliasing. So few developers actually use it, its such a crime. Mario Galaxy looks great in 480p, upscaled it would look even nicer. Have you ever watched a DVD on an upscaler? It looks far better and the chips are so cheap to make i don't see why it was omitted. Instead or running straight to the video output, the Wii would simply go through a scaler telling it what or what not to upscale/downscale to from the original picture. That way if a game is created in 720p it downscales to 480i or whatever or upscales to 1080p if needed.

Wii's look bad on HDTVs because you can't invent lines of pixels that don't exist. You can try though, and this is what upscalers do, some being better at it than others.

Upscaling DVD players are an urban myth, they don't start becoming useful until the £250-£300 mark because most TVs have good scaling chips built in already.

Nintendo could have added a good scaler, but it would have bumped the price of the system up by £50 or so. Under those circumstances they may as well give up and make the whole system powerful enough to handle 720p games.

The worst thing Nintendo ever did was to change the visual style of Mario after Super Mario 64 and Zelda after Zelda 64. I returned both Super Mario Sunshine and Windwaker to the store where I bought them, because I simply didn´t like their visuals. Or the way they played, for that matter. But to me the graphics are the first thing that I notice. Or rather, the way they have been implemented.

I understand if Nintendo likes to experiment back and forth, which seems to be what they are doing a lot, but the disparity in the visuals between the N64 Mario and Zelda games and the GameCube ones was too pronounced to be acceptable to me. I really thought that Nintendo had gone mad, and nolonger cared to give us more of the same which had been so successfull in the past. I do recall that some major news headlines following the unveiling of "Celda" at E3 were touching on just that. A lot of people I talked to about Super Mario Sunshine said it was much more difficult than SM64 in which I also agreed. I didn´t like the way the worlds had been made. Super Mario Sunshine had, of what I saw myself during playing and read about in reviews, too many ugly sprites, and strange backgrounds. It felt half-complete. More like: rushed!

To this day Nintendo have, in my opinion, not surpassed the immense fun of Super Mario 64 with its large, incredibly beautifull, fun, enchanting worlds and manageable difficulty - allowing any kind of gamer to play it through to the end. While great to play, in Super Mario Galaxy the worlds are too small, I think.

And Twilight Princess is definitely not "120% Zelda", as they strived for it to be, as it falls short of being the fairytale that Ocarina of Time was. It is far, far better than WindWaker I think. But it does definitely not surpass the N64 games. I have also read that it didn´t get as much developement resources as OOT did. It is indeed very beautifull as we were told it would be. But there is not enough things to interact with and explore in that world. It feels too empty in many places. Not enough diversity.

In fact, Nintendo have themselves admitted (Eijii Aonuma) in an interview I read somewhere, that they were constantly behind their own 3D team in terms of catching up with implementing level furniture, and animated creatures. So that world wasn´t as complete. I think that Jordan (in this forum) may be right about Nintendo not investing enough in developer teams even though they have the financial means to do so. In one other interview which I read recently, I recall Aonuma saying that he thought they needed to invest more developement time in the next Zelda game. I agree, and hope they do. A new OOT really takes 4-5 years, I think. We will then just have to wait, unless of course they do decide to widen their developer teams.

Strange, I get the impression that Nintendo are stuck in the past in many instances, not quick to adapt to what their customers want by not investing enough in it. This is probably what lies behind among others the many complaints related to all things Nintendo I read about here in this topic. Kind of like them not making "ends meet" in terms of their gaming business worldwide. Am I the only one who thinks that?

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is the most beautiful game Nintendo have ever made. I daresay it even tops Galaxy still, though I still have to give that a proper play due to lack of time and Wii.

From a gamer point of view, the Wii being so under powered. The next console just HAS to be as powerful as the current 360 and PS3.

Erm, Nintendo did nothing wrong in dumping Sony. Sony wanted 50% royalties on all Nintendo franchises, that's Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, every single one. Imagine that, giving 50% of everything you're worth, it simply wasn't a fair deal for Nintendo and they made the right choice.

Even though the PS and PS2 kicked their arse in the years to come, Nintendo still made tons of money, it didn't hurt them financially. It'd feel tainted if Sony owned 50% of every Nintendo franchise anyway, who'd want that?

New technology in graphics processing will probably make the Wii2 blow away the 360 and PS3, (hell, it'll be 2012 FFS) but yet be underpowered compared to the 720 and PS4.

And to be fair, I couldn't give a damn. There's a certain point after which the additional processing power won't make any noticable difference, and the next new gen will approach that. A cheap (?) small quiet console is very important as well.

SQUARESOFT

End of.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is the most beautiful game Nintendo have ever made. I daresay it even tops Galaxy still, though I still have to give that a proper play due to lack of time and Wii.

Yep....and I rate it far more highly than the lifeless Twilight Princess. The Wind Wakers cartoon just made it an even better game; there's no way the atmosphere of the game would have worked without them.

i dont see the huge graphical leap from mario 64 to sunshine, unless you mean its rounder?

as for ww v tp v oot, i love them all. oot will always mean more to me, i veiw it with rose tinted glasses. ww was great, the visuals were good, the style might of been un orthodox, but it was like a big cartoon, and brought out the kid in me.

tp is the crowd pleaser, we asked for more realistic graphics, we got em, we wanted more horse play, it was ours, more involved combat? we got that, more cinematic cutscenes, they were ours. the whole game was exactly how nintendo interperated our demands. i personaly love it, but think it needed more side quests, random heart peices in dungeons was a cop out in my eyes.

bigger development teams may speed the game up, but they also dilute the vision. too many cooks one would say.

I don't think leaving the Wii underpowered compared to t'others is that much of a mistake. It was a choice Nintendo made to go down their own path, and they're now being credited for it, really. To be honest, I don't see HD as something that is extremely important at the moment. Games are still games, whatever they look like.

For me, the worst thing Nintendo have done is to not take their own franchises too seriously. They've got a wealth of characters and series', like Starfox for example, but they don't always come out as great as expected.

They have the funds, and now I think it's time for Nintendo to invest in making their own games as bigger and betterererer as they can be. They're doing this right now with Smash Bros, which is fantastic. But why not do it with Mario Party, or a new Starfox game, or something or other.

I think Nintendo's worst mistake is their own underestimation.

i dont see the huge graphical leap from mario 64 to sunshine, unless you mean its rounder?
I'd say the increased polygon count, dynamic colour, extreme texture improvements, water effects, physics, in-depth field blurring and the huge increase of geometrical complexity of the levels do make quite a difference. Sunshine is a really nice looking game.

Seriously, that's such a random thing to say.

I honestly don't see the lack of leap to HD as a bad thing. Why? Not only because it increases the cost of the console greatly, but also because it means that games are currently harder and more expensive to develop for, and Nintendo have always been about developing a large amount of quality titles per year, and since the average AAA title (Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros Brawl) cost around 5 - 10 million dollars to develop, imagine how much more they would have cost if it was done in HD. Take Halo 3 for example. The first and second Halo weren't done on an exactly huge budget (around the same as a AAA Wii game), but the third one cost around 15 - 20 million dollars to develop (Doesn't include marketing, btw), and one of the main reasons for that is because it was in HD.

Enough said?

mario64_-_dire_dire_docks.png

mariosunshine_082002_2.jpg

I can barely tell them apart! GC is N64 1.5 confirmed!