NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Factor 5 Are Back!

I think maybe Star Fox needs some hibernation. Rare and Namco failed to deliver a quality product, and the franchise has lost some serious credibility. However, that said, if Nintendo are to pimp out Starfox, who better than Factor. Exchange X-Wings with Arwings, and the game is pretty much ready to ship.

The frustrating thing about the starfox series is its so easy to get right, and the ideas for expansion are so obvious. It's one of those games i'm convinced this forum could do a brilliant job on. As for factor5 i've always wanted to see them take on the RTS genre.

The second one isn't very flattering.

You should get close to the star destroyer. Then you can see every window and every bump on its surface. That game's definitelly a stunner visually.

But one question does remain, after Lair showed the Rogue Squadron gameplay formula is now a bit dated, repetitive and boring. Do Factor 5 have it in them to produce something that they havn't been recycling for the last 10 years?

Lare was slated for being poorly executed, not for being based on a dated, repetetive and boring formula. From the reviews i've read the general consensus is it would have been a pretty good game if the controls were fixed and pointless cutscenes removed.

A typical case of something being unfinished/undertested upon release...

As for the game, I'm with Shino. I'd rather have a new IP, and let some other studio bother with Star Fox, as long as they can have the Star Wars: Rogue Squadron engine.
Fixed it for you :heh: (wishful thinking)

But yes.

The Wii can do a lot more than Rebel Strike, and I doubt the engine would match Star Fox's style. I'd rather have Factor 5 squeezing every inch out of the Wii like they did with the Cube in Rebel Strike, and then license that to other developers.

Factor 5 is one of those companies that had a lot of insight in the GameCube's hardware, as they actually made parts of it. Let's just hope Nintendo gives them full access.

The Wii can do a lot more than Rebel Strike, and I doubt the engine would match Star Fox's style. I'd rather have Factor 5 squeezing every inch out of the Wii like they did with the Cube in Rebel Strike, and then license that to other developers.

Factor 5 is one of those companies that had a lot of insight in the GameCube's hardware, as they actually made parts of it. Let's just hope Nintendo gives them full access.

Yes, but not many developers can pull a Rebel Strike engine out of the Wii (and Rebel Strike was locked at GC specs, Rebel Strike engine on Wii wouldn't)

Of course changes had to be made too; but I believe the biggest asset, the engine... is there.

This said, this was totally hypothetical; factor 5 wouldn't use Rebel Strike engine today for that, nor would sell it to someone.

Lare was slated for being poorly executed, not for being based on a dated, repetetive and boring formula. From the reviews i've read the general consensus is it would have been a pretty good game if the controls were fixed and pointless cutscenes removed.

A typical case of something being unfinished/undertested upon release...

I have to disagree...It was also criticized for its poor mission structure and the nature of the missions which were oddly similar to the RS games. Not saying the mission structure of the previous games was bad, but it has perhaps become tired.

If they left PS3, then its good news for Sony. :p

Havent played Lair but its fun making jokes about it.

Starfox is a great series that has gone to rot because developers try to expand on what for me was a perfect formula. I think Lylat Wars (Starfox 64) was amazing, instead of refining it, tweaking it a bit and adding interesting new challenges they always try to reinvent the wheel? Why? On the Cube Starfox Assault had great flying levels and appalling on foot levels. Why not just give us 15 great flying levels?

The less of my favorite developers that work exclusively for Sony, the better!

I reckon it'll be a case of a new Rogue Squadron first, if only so they can get to grips with the hardware (including the all important controls), and then we'll see a new addition to the Starfox series...later...

I've wanted a Starfox game that's a mix of Rogue Squadren & SF style since I played Starfox. I really hope it's that, and that they don't rush the storyline, adding shit characters and getting rid of others.

I want a proper Andross war.

Rumour has it they're working on Kid Icarus Wii.

Although it's great to see that KI would be revived, I must say I'm hoping Factor 5 is going to make a more 'realistic' game, as that's where their strength lies.

Rumour has it they're working on Kid Icarus Wii.

Although it's great to see that KI would be revived, I must say I'm hoping Factor 5 is going to make a more 'realistic' game, as that's where their strength lies.

Don't see this happening at all. Kid Icarus is completely not anything like F5 have ever done before. Completely different game style and graphics style plus it needs a Nintendo level of charm not gritty reality.

Would like to know who their "credible source" is.

I think Factor 5 would be able to do a better job on Star Fox than Kid Icarus. They have been doing flying games for years, its almost like a perfect match.

I think Factor 5 would be able to do a better job on Star Fox than Kid Icarus. They have been doing flying games for years, its almost like a perfect match.

Problem is that Namco had also made flying games for years. In fact, they've been at it for longer than Factor 5 I think.

The flying sections were good, it was the rest that was shite. I'd like to hope Factor 5 learned they're lesson with Rebel Strike...

Had a dream about a new Pilot Wings once.

Basically the missions similar to the last one were just the "training", to get your license. Then the game opened up into this massive free-roaming world where you got into hanggliders, planes, rocket packs etc & went around doing different tasks in a massive free roaming world.

Ever since, me want.

Apart from that, a new Turrican could be ace.

mmmm PilotWings could well be a possibility, we've heard rumblings for a while now....

or Blast Corps sequel maybe?