NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Factor 5 Are Back!

Just read this on IGN.

The maker of the hit GameCube series Rogue Squadron is back. In a phone conversation with IGN Wii this morning, company president Julian Eggebrecht confirmed that the studio is underway with at least one all-new Wii project -- and it's not a Virtual Console game. Beyond that confirmation, Eggebrecht was mum, but he did note that the new title would not simply re-use old Rogue Squadron tech; whatever it is, significantly updated or even completely new tech has been developed to help accommodate it.

Factor 5's previous title, Lair, released for PlayStation 3 to mixed reviews. However, it is worth noting that the developer is intimately familiar with the GameCube hardware, whose technology extends to Wii. Not only did Factor 5 work with Nintendo to develop GameCube's audio solution, but it pushed the console harder on a graphics level than just about every other studio, Nintendo included. Bearing that in mind, fans can rest assured that whatever the company's new Wii game is, it's a safe bet that it'll look good and push the hardware.

At one time, Factor 5 was pegged to develop a sequel to Pilot Wings for the then-codenamed Revolution. Nintendo even went so far as to list the San Rafael-based studio as a "partner" in its official E3 presentation. Since that time, though, the company has been busy with the PS3-exclusive Lair and thus, work on any Pilot Wings sequel is thought to have been halted or cancelled altogether. Incidentally, IGN believes Factor 5's Wii title is an altogether different beast.

We'll have much more on the project as information becomes available. For now, though, Nintendo fans who loved the Rogue Squadron games should be happy to know that one of GameCube's best contributors is now lending its support to Wii.

I couldnt be happier as I loved the Rogue Squadron games. A PilotWings or Starfox game by them would be godly.

This has seriously made my day, and it's been a good day so far.

Rogue Squadron 4 please. Pleeeeeeease. :)

Maybe it's a new lyat wars game. God knows we need a new one after star fox adventures. Never played it, but it, along with a lot of other cube games lacked the appeal and special factor that it's N64 counterparts had.

Does a good looking mini game make the game better despite the fact that its still just a pack of mini games?

They're making a PS3 exclusive game as well, but that's going to be a sort of download type thing which releases at retail (like Warhawk / SOCOM Confrontation). I'm guessing the PS3 project being more minor freed up another team for a Wii game.

Sounds good anyway, albeit I'm not sure what to expect, Factor5 are very hit or miss.

So everyone has forgiven them for the whole "Wii is underpowered Gamecube 1.5" quote then? Looks like the just go where the money is.

So everyone has forgiven them for the whole "Wii is underpowered Gamecube 1.5" quote then? Looks like the just go where the money is.

Whoa, they're like every other company in the world, EVAR.

Star Fox. DO IT!!!!!!!!

They might actually do that franchise justice, instead of giving us the pap that other devs have been releasing. Something that actually lives up to Lylat Wars would be nice, surpassing it would be amazing!

To be honest they're comments about the Wii tie together, they said it was underpowered, then saw the mess devs were making and are now returning to set the standard again and show other developers up for the lazy bastards they are :p (sounds plausible to me any way)

Star Fox. DO IT!!!!!!!!

They might actually do that franchise justice, instead of giving us the pap that other devs have been releasing. Something that actually lives up to Lylat Wars would be nice, surpassing it would be amazing!

I agree with this. It's about time somebody took the Starfox franchise seriously and really took it by the scruff of the neck and made an amazing game.

I want a true sequel to Lylat Wars. But, Galaxy-fy it, and with a huuuuge multiplayer. Please!

Uhhh... I'd still prefer in-house. Wouldn't be TOO upset of F5 gave it a go though.

Factor 5 are still 3rd party, don't get too excited :)

This is great news, Sony were fucking pissed after they blew $30M of their money on a very pretty but ultra terrible playing Lair.

I've played it... its near unplayable. Seriously.

I agree with this. It's about time somebody took the Starfox franchise seriously and really took it by the scruff of the neck and made an amazing game.

I want a true sequel to Lylat Wars. But, Galaxy-fy it, and with a huuuuge multiplayer. Please!

Like Mass Effect, but with space battles and an infinitely cooler tank? I can dream! :bowdown:

Even if the game is shit at least they'll shut up those who say Wii is GC 1.5. Even though they were already proven wrong.

I read the thread title.

I took about an eighth of a second to realise what it meant.

My head exploded with joy.

Bugger. :blank:

Starfox next gen engine, Starfox next gen engine, Starfox next gen engine,

Starfox next gen engine, Starfox next gen engine, Starfox next gen engine...

WANT

But I dunno (but if I was Nintendo... that's what I'd do, with heavy Japanese supervision of course)

with heavy Japanese supervision of course

:shakehead Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Really, why? Japanese developers have turned the series in to a farce...

:shakehead Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I think that by Japanese he means Nintendo.

And after Lair I wouldnt really trust Factor 5 with a beloved franchise.

Ok, Miyamoto on the helm if you will; Factor 5 could screw Starfox gameplaywise (please, no ground levels, after RS3); and it's not Rogue Squadron so it needs to be really balanced, no better than Nintendo to do that.

I also doubt I want them writing the game script. Hey, it's no shame what I'm saying, Retro-Studios got a lot of support from Nintendo when doing Metroid Prime, and they still recieved it on Metroid Prime 3; no big changes on Samus atitude towards something (for example) could be made without Nintendo approving it; and I believe that also results in better quality; more coherency.