NEurope
Daft

Organ Donation

This things have wait lists, so alcoholics would probably be at the very bottom.

This things have wait lists, so alcoholics would probably be at the very bottom.

Like George Best?

I don't carru an organ donor card. But it's something I am undeciided about.

I think that it is a wonderful thing to be able to do - give somebody else the chance to live - but whether I could do it is another thing. I would like to think I could. I don't plan on donating any organs just yet. Maybe that will change.

I wouldn't be ashamed or bothered if it didn't though.

I don't carru an organ donor card. But it's something I am undeciided about.

I think that it is a wonderful thing to be able to do - give somebody else the chance to live - but whether I could do it is another thing. I would like to think I could. I don't plan on donating any organs just yet. Maybe that will change.

I wouldn't be ashamed or bothered if it didn't though.

Thats pretty much my feelings at the moment.

This thread is so mental. You'll be dead, why do you care what happens to your organs? The vast majority of the time it will go to someone that deserves them. It's not just people that have smoked their heart away or drank their liver into oblivion that get the transplants.

An amazing gift at no cost to yourself. Thread is mental.

Yep, they can take everything they want from me. Having an open casket doesn't matter anyway, if you're being prepared to be viewed they fuck your shit up anyway. Your eyes shrink in your head so they're replaced with bits of plastic to keep your eyelids from sinking into your skull, they take out bits of your guts and pack you with material like a teddybear, drain your blood and replace it with pink formaldahide so you look nice and healthy etc etc.

I agree it should be opt out rather than opt in to be honest, then if people still want to be pussies about it they can carry an "I'm a pussy" card rather than normal people having to carry a donor card.

Pffff they don't make it eay here it seems. You have to fill in a stupid form and then go get two stamps or something somewhere. Just having it on a site would be so much easier.

Guess I'll have to go do it once I have some free time again.

But yes, then can take everything from me, I won't be needing it anymore anyway.

This thread is so mental. You'll be dead, why do you care what happens to your organs? The vast majority of the time it will go to someone that deserves them. It's not just people that have smoked their heart away or drank their liver into oblivion that get the transplants.

An amazing gift at no cost to yourself. Thread is mental.

Exactly! Who cares that a smoker or an alco gets my liver or heart? A life's a life, and to be honest - they have the lowest priority on the waiting lists.

Talking of body donors, I was looking/using a pair of dead arms today. Far too many muscles :(

canada bars organ donations from gay men

By News Editor

Gay activists in Canada have hit out at new regulations that ban gay men who have been sexually active in the past five years from donating their organs for transplant.

According to new Health Canada regulations, transplant programs will no longer be able to harvest organs from the bodies of gay men who were sexually active in the past five years.

The new rules, which came into effect without much notice in December, are similar to the regulations for determining who can donate blood although any man who has had sex with a man since 1977 is barred from ever donating blood. The rule is applied in Canada, the United Sates and almost all countries in the world except Spain, Switzerland and Italy.

Under the new regulations, groups that are at high risk of transmitting infectious diseases including HIV and hepatitis C and B will no longer be accepted as organ donors. The restrictions will also cover intravenous drug users, commercial sex workers and people who have had tattoos or body piercings in the last 12 months using shared needles, came into effect last month.

Numerous gay rights groups and health care experts have criticised the new rules as the Canadian media and various news agencies picked up on the issue this week.

The head of Nova Scotia Rainbow Action Project, a gay advocacy group, was quoted as saying that the new rules which exclude any man who has had sex with a man within five years from organ donation may not only send the wrong the message but leave those preparing for live donation in the lurch.

"They seem to be making decisions that are bad for the health-care system, that don’t seem to be designed to meet the real needs of risk management and that send the wrong messages about the gay community and about HIV and AIDS," Kevin Kindred said. "Of course that’s frustrating and of course people find that offensive."

Dr. Philip Berger, head of family and community medicine at St. Michael's Hospital, told the Toronto Star that the rules are unfair to thousands of conscientious gays.

"What about a gay monogamous couple, (Health Canada) is not going to let them donate? It's ridiculous," says Berger. "It's been known for 20 years that the risk factor is not in being gay (but) in risky sexual behaviour."

Other medical experts have warned that the new rules could lead to deaths by shrinking an already small pool of donors.

Egale Canada, a gay political lobby organisation, is calling on federal Health Minister Tony Clement to suspend the new policy and for a panel to be appointed to review organ donor rules.

"Health Canada should be making sure the regulations stop unsafe organ transplants and not create a situation where healthy viable gay organs will be thrown away," Helen Kennedy, Egale's executive director, told Reuters.

"It's perpetuating stereotypes. It bans every gay or bisexual man who potentially is in a monogamous relationship - or other gay men who are vigilant about safe sex practices - from donating organs."

This is brilliant, I mean, they're giving the message that every Gay or Bisexual man will get, or has aids, and that it's obviously a "Gay" disease and anyone who is straight doesn't get it. It's caught by dangerousm (i.e careless) sexual behaviour, not by being gay.

How nice.:mad:

If it is such a issue, would it kill them to check the damn organs for AIDS/HIV prior to transplant? Although I can care less about the gay/bi community since it is not relevent to me, I do have to agree that it is pretty stupid and it is going to shrink what is already a small pool of donors. AIDS/HIV is caught by being an idiot and not paying attention to who you screw, it has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Exactly, great post. It's complete bull, if they want to save people's lives they're going the wrong way about it.

You can't give blood if you've had sex with a man (even with a condom) either can you? (Unless you live in italy or one other place as far as I know). I don't understand why tbh.

Like George Best?

He also has alot of money.

I'm not entirely sure on the subject, although I'd be ok with saving someone's life, I mean who wouldn't but the idea of being cut up when I'm on a cold slab, doesn't seem appealing.

You're not allowed to give blood if you've had anal sex with a man, either...

and Nightwolf; when you die, what is your body but a hunk of meat? You exist in the things you do, if you ask me.

EDIT: Whoops sorry Haggis! Didn't see you'd already mentioned that. I think there is a time-scale for it though - within the last year? five years? Six months? A quick trip to their website would tell all, but I cba :/

Haha, what a nice way of putting it, I know and hopefully I've got a while to think about what happens to my body.

You're also not allowed to give blood if you've recently or have piercings or tattoos, which is ridiculous.

The rules are ridiculous! Howcome you can't give blood after having piercings etc? I mean, surely everywhere people get one nowadays is properly checked out etc so you won't get any diseases off them will you?

If they bring the organ rule over here from canada I'll go mental, I'm not having my right to save someones life when I die taken off me just because of my sexual preference.

Because if you use a needle on someone to do a piercing or tattoo that has aids it can be given to someone else.

Its also the same if not more with ear piercings because they are done with a gun and cannot be cleaned or chucked away and replaced like needles, if blood splatter gets onto the gun and it isn't autoclaved then it can be placed onto someone else, as people know aids can be transmitted through blood.

Its a strange rule considering it just doesn't happen.

You're not allowed to give blood if you've had anal sex with a man, either...

and Nightwolf; when you die, what is your body but a hunk of meat? You exist in the things you do, if you ask me.

EDIT: Whoops sorry Haggis! Didn't see you'd already mentioned that. I think there is a time-scale for it though - within the last year? five years? Six months? A quick trip to their website would tell all, but I cba :/

It says:

You should never give blood if:

1 You carry the hepatitis B virus, the hepatitis C virus or the HIV virus.

2 You're a man who's had sex with another man, even safe sex using a condom.

3 You've ever worked as a prostitute.

4 You've ever injected yourself with drugs - even once.

You should not give blood for 12 months after sex with:

1 A man who has had sex with another man (if you're a female).

2 A prostitute.

3 Anyone who has ever injected themselves with drugs.

4 Anyone with haemophilia or a related blood clotting disorder who has received clotting factor concentrates.

5 Anyone of any race who has been sexually active in parts of the world where AIDS/HIV is very common. This includes countries in Africa.

So, if I had sex with a man, and then at some point had sex with a woman, she wouldn't beable to give blood either! (for 12 months) Jesus. It's ridiculous. University's in Scotland have campaigned against it but they refuse to change the rule.

>_< Deary dear dear Mcdear. It's certainly a generalising world out there. At least it's not "you can't receive blood if..", eh?

On the plus side; you can give blood twelve months after a facial piercing.

Oh good, I've had my eyebrow for over a year now.

Though considering I have piercings abit too often and plan on many more it maybe a problem.

Just checked the site again -- it's the last 6 months for acupuncture, piercings and tattoos. They must've changed it since I got my lip pierced.

also, you gotta way over 7st 12! I guess it's to do with the volume that they take right outta ya.

Back on topic; You can supposedly live on half a lung, a tenth of your liver and one kidney (please, correct me if I'm wrong :)). Would you donate anything now? To a stranger? A friend? Family? Or only for mega amounts of dosh?

Just checked the site again -- it's the last 6 months for acupuncture, piercings and tattoos. They must've changed it since I got my lip pierced.

also, you gotta way over 7st 12! I guess it's to do with the volume that they take right outta ya.

Back on topic; You can supposedly live on half a lung, a tenth of your liver and one kidney (please, correct me if I'm wrong :)). Would you donate anything now? To a stranger? A friend? Family? Or only for mega amounts of dosh?

Seems right enough... A lot of people get a big section of their liver cut off when they get cancer etc.

Pretty gruesome tho :/

You can supposedly live on half a lung, a tenth of your liver and one kidney (please, correct me if I'm wrong :)). Would you donate anything now? To a stranger? A friend? Family? Or only for mega amounts of dosh?

Thats interesting. My family, yes, no question. Friends, depends which one (I'm closer to some than others). Stranger, no. I would only do it for money if I really needed the money.

Thats interesting. My family, yes, no question. Friends, depends which one (I'm closer to some than others). Stranger, no. I would only do it for money if I really needed the money.

I'm the same as you then. Definitely my immediate family (well, all except one member), a couple of my close friends, but a stranger I would have to be desperate for the money, like you say.