NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

PETA Killed 97 Percent of 'Companion Animals'

An official report from People for The Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), submitted nine months after a Virginia government agency's deadline, shows that the animal rights group put to death more than 97 percent of the dogs, cats, and other pets it took in for adoption in 2006. During that year, the well-known animal rights group managed to find adoptive homes for just 12 pets. The nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) is calling on PETA to either end its hypocritical angel-of-death program, or stop its senseless condemnation of Americans who believe it's perfectly ethical to use animals for food, clothing, and critical medical research.

Not counting animals PETA held only temporarily in its spay-neuter program, the organization took in 3,061 "companion animals" in 2006, of which it killed 2,981. According to Virginia's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS), the average euthanasia rate for humane societies in the state was just 34.7 percent in 2006. PETA killed 97.4 percent of the animals it took in. The organization filed its 2006 report this month, nine months after the VDACS deadline of March 31, 2007.

"Pet lovers should be outraged," said CCF Director of Research David Martosko. "There are thousands of worthwhile animal shelters that deserve Americans' support. PETA is not one of them."

In courtroom testimony last year, a PETA manager acknowledged that her organization maintains a large walk-in freezer for storing dead animals, and that PETA contracts with a Virginia cremation service to dispose of the bodies. In that trial, two PETA employees were convicted of dumping dead animals in a rural North Carolina trash dumpster.

Today in Southampton County, Virginia, another PETA employee will face felony charges in a dog-napping case. Andrea Florence Benoit Harris was arrested in late 2006 for allegedly abducting a hunting dog and attempting to transport it to PETA's Norfolk headquarters.

"PETA raised over $30 million last year," Martosko added, "and it's using that money to kill the only flesh-and-blood animals its employees actually see. The scale of PETA's hypocrisy is simply staggering."

prnewswire.com

WTF! :blank:

er... that's a serious wtf right there. just twelve?! That article makes it out that they walk the pets off the streets and straight into the slaughter- while I'm sure that's not true, and they probably do what they can to some extent... That's still a ridiculous figure there.

Animal rights activists are often full of hypocrisy without this - they sometimes deal with what they believe is mistreatment of animals by trying to kill people, and occasionally even by killing animals that are being tested on. Does this mean they think some animals are more important than others?

Why are there links to a website promoting junk food and drinking as "Consumer Choice"?

they only put down these animals if they are a danger to other people or have been mistreated and can no longer be looked after cause they are so ill =(

People can make stats look how they want!

Come down on the idiots abusing animals!

It's also a little known fact they donate a lot of money to animal right extremists. All while trying to advertise themselves as a 'friendly' animal group rights ¬_¬

About five years ago my sister was being forced to move home, and the only place she could get was an upstairs apartment, with no garden. She felt it was unfair to lock up her labrador dog Shea, who was about two years old at the time. So she got in touch with the USPCA (basically, the Northern Ireland arm of the RSPCA) and they came out to look at him. Shea was all over the guy, extremely friendly and was checked over and found to be 100% healthy. He was a great dog!! I say "was", because not even ONE WEEK after he had been taken away to be found a new home, Carol (that's my sister) telephoned to ask if they had found anywhere as she had always intended to visit Shea in his new home...

She was told that he had been put down! The reason? They couldn't give one, the lady on the phone didn't know. So Carol and I paid a visit to their office in Carrick to ask wtf?! We were told he was unhealthy by one guy - bullshit! He denied they had tested him at Carol's house, even though we had been there(!) and basically called us liars when we argued the case! We could never get in touch with the guy who did test Shea as after a few more argumentative phone calls (because they simply would not listen and refused to put us through to the vet who had come out) we were asked to not call back or else they'd call the cops! We were all for going to the press but couldn't as my niece was only 9 at the time and if she found out Shea was dead it would've destroyed her.

What exactly are PETA for? I mean come on,t hey do no good to anyone or anything.

Sign in to follow this