NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

McDonald’s boss: ‘Games to blame for childhood obesity

Steve Easterbrook admits restaurant has role to play – but points finger at interactive entertainment

The chief executive of McDonald’s UK has hit out at video games for being a major cause of the childhood obesity crisis.

Steve Easterbrook told The Times that the food and drinks industry shared responsibility for the issue with individuals and Government.

But he made special mention of the popularity of games – and said they have reduced the amount of time young people spend outdoors “burning off energy”.

“The issue of obesity is complex and is absolutely one our society is facing, there’s no denial about that,” said Easterbrook. “But if you break it down I think there’s an education piece: how can we better communicate to individuals the importance of a balanced diet and taking care of themselves?

“Then there’s a lifestyle element: there’s fewer green spaces and kids are sat home playing computer games on the TV when in the past they’d have been burning off energy outside.”

According to The Times, McDonalds UK is ‘on the brink of its best year for two decades’. The firm has enjoyed six per cent like-for-like sales growth in the last year. More than 88 million visits were made to McDonald's restaurants last month, up 10 million on the previous year.

www.mcvuk.com

potkettlehx1.jpg:rolleyes:

Then I am ****ed I ate McDonalds and played some Wii today. Not to mention a few quick goes on my C++ Space Invaders before submitting it to be examined.

Ah man, I better diet. Oh wait I'm only around 9-10 stone. Good day Ronald McDonald.

Of course it's video games fault, what else could possibly be? High on fat food? Nah.

I love a nice mcdonalds, though I do realise it should be eaten every week etc unlike some people who do that and then moan about becoming overwieght. I got hungry when I walked by one in cambridge the other day, so I bought myself 3 cheeseburgers. When I went in, I saw some seriously obese people stuffing themselves with the food and allowing there kids to do the same. It's mental.

I see not problem with mcdonalds, I mean they aren't forcing people to eat there and they advertise quite alot of healthy stuff so I see no problem with them.

Saying games cause obesity is bollocks. Well, in most cases. Most people have a social life, get out regularly and therefore do exercise anyway. Though, obviously there's the whole sterotypical gamer that locks themselves in a dark room and plays xbox live non stop.

Blaming Games or mcdonalds is bollocks, blame parents.

Hes basically saying that his food wouldnt be a problem if kids excersied. I think he should have a taster of his own Big 'rat meat' Mac

wow that sounds just like what me and my boss where arguing about yesterday :blank:

he sad the reason most guys are single is because of the computer.

Food makes kids fat. If you don't eat enough of it to become fat then how can you become fat. Video games don't help (they don't cause the problem in the first place, its like smoking, not trying to quit and then complaining because you get respiratory problems), however they do make you smarter and also make you see better.

He's partially right. Playing games doesn't mean you'll get fat, but it definetely means you'll be burning less calories than those you would burn if you were outside playing. Kids are gonna eat shit wether we like it or not, but it's true that if they did excersize, they wouldn't get fat as they do.

Plus, it's also a fact that the gaming communitty has a big obese slice. And it's not because games attract fat, it's because they keep us from more healthy activities.

Videogames are entertainment... nothing more. And as of lately, kids are getting much more into gaming than playing soccer or swimming or whatever because, let's face it, reality sucks.

From the article:

And until Wii Fit comes out, you can always try and find a copy of the McDonald's videogame M.C. Kids for the NES.

Bollocks to Wii Fit. M.C Kids is a fucking awesome game.

McDonald's Burger King KFC....etc. do play a role in child obesity but I think its the parents fault for letting them eat the crap I got fat buy eating to much of my mums cooking and snacks but in Cambridge we have 3 McDonald's 1 Burger King And 1 KFC so I don't think we have a lot of fast food places like them. But blaming games is a low blow.

He's partially right. Playing games doesn't mean you'll get fat, but it definetely means you'll be burning less calories than those you would burn if you were outside playing. Kids are gonna eat shit wether we like it or not, but it's true that if they did excersize, they wouldn't get fat as they do.

Plus, it's also a fact that the gaming communitty has a big obese slice. And it's not because games attract fat, it's because they keep us from more healthy activities.

Videogames are entertainment... nothing more. And as of lately, kids are getting much more into gaming than playing soccer or swimming or whatever because, let's face it, reality sucks.

Answer:

Computer Games cause as much obesity as TV and books.

Also newspapers, working in a scretary, watching movies, etc..

EDIT: Also, can you source us too sometimes? ;)

The man's an arse. He's basically trying to find a way to pass the buck of responsibility in the hope that the government wont single out his fat shacks as the primary source of the problem. Glad to say I've only ever had a McDonalds 'meal' once and was violently sick afterwoulds. Do occasionally (about once a month) get something from the Burger King in New Street when I'm feeling peckish.

From the article:

And until Wii Fit comes out, you can always try and find a copy of the McDonald's videogame M.C. Kids for the NES.

Bollocks to Wii Fit. M.C Kids is a fucking awesome game.

Yes it is. I didn't just write that for irony (even though it was the main reason), I said it because the game rocks.

What should be asked:

Why go to McDonalds if you can get to a chippy?

Theres no fast food shops here, so I have some as treats down south!

they do make you smarter and also make you see better.

i went short-sighted playing games. It didn't make me see better, i guess it was my own fault though.

Computer Games cause as much obesity as TV and books.

Most true. The problem is, almost everyone watches TV... non gamers follow such viewing with some healthy activities, we follow with gaming. LOL. I mean, the issue here is that the average gamer doesn't move his ass for shit. Whilst every athlete I know watches TV, most of them aren't "gamers", they play occasionally, but it isn't a big part of their life.

What really sets gaming apart from all other sources of media entertainment is the lazyness of the consumers. Gamers are a race wich usually does not like healthy activities. Plus, the fact that most gamers also watch TV, read books and watch movies and so on, wich most of the times leaves them with no time for health... and it's easier to target videogames than books or TV, because they're the newcomers.

I'm not saying this is what I think, this is society's point of view on the subject. I for one, will not stop playing games. :heh:

Most true. The problem is, almost everyone watches TV... non gamers follow such viewing with some healthy activities

A lot of people follow watching TV with watching a lot more TV.

Gamers aren't lazy - most of the nation is.

A lot of people follow watching TV with watching a lot more TV.

Gamers aren't lazy - most of the nation is.

I'm Portuguese... it's worldwide, believe me.

Most true. The problem is, almost everyone watches TV... non gamers follow such viewing with some healthy activities, we follow with gaming. LOL. I mean, the issue here is that the average gamer doesn't move his ass for shit. Whilst every athlete I know watches TV, most of them aren't "gamers", they play occasionally, but it isn't a big part of their life.

What really sets gaming apart from all other sources of media entertainment is the lazyness of the consumers. Gamers are a race wich usually does not like healthy activities. Plus, the fact that most gamers also watch TV, read books and watch movies and so on, wich most of the times leaves them with no time for health... and it's easier to target videogames than books or TV, because they're the newcomers.

I'm not saying this is what I think, this is society's point of view on the subject. I for one, will not stop playing games. :heh:

That's an old stereotype that's mostly not true these days. Almost everyone plays videogames nowadays (unless they're old), even athletes. If gamers are lazy then why is the Wii which requires movement selling a lot? Also, don't forget, playing games requires input, while reading and watching TV doesn't you can just watch and eat fries. You can't do that while playing. :P I simply don't see why gamers are "lazy". I know lots of gamers and you are one of the few, if not the only one with slightly big bones :P

I think the guy is right, but at the same time it's wrong of him to try and deflect blame away from his company.

It's a combination of bad diet and lack of exercise that cause obesity. The cure is to stop eating at MacDonalds and go to the gym twice a week.

That's an old stereotype that's mostly not true these days. Almost everyone plays videogames nowadays (unless they're old), even athletes. If gamers are lazy then why is the Wii which requires movement selling a lot? Also, don't forget, playing games requires input, while reading and watching TV doesn't you can just watch and eat fries. You can't do that while playing. :P I simply don't see why gamers are "lazy". I know lots of gamers and you are one of the few, if not the only one with slightly big bones :P

The Wii is selling a lot because it's being bought by "non-gamers". I mean, that's how I see it...

Everyone plays videogames, that's true, but the hardcore players are the one's I'm talking about... and they're generally lazy. I'm talking from what I know, I mean, we're all lazy as fuck. :D

And while it's true that watching TV is "just watching", reading usually requires brain. Usually, not always.

As McPhee said, obesity ir cured by eating propper and going to the gym. All I'm saying is that gamers aren't usually the gym type, and much rather stay at home doing "nothing".

Of course... there are exceptions to the rule! There always will be. But they shouldn't be used as deographic samples when discussing the ones who aren't exceptions. I know the theme here is obesity, but exposure to threat strenghtens your body, and gamers are usually fragile because of their lack of exposure. Not that it matters, nowdays... scientific advances can make up for that.

I can't really lecture anyone about this, coz if it weren't for my father on the weekends, I wouldn't get any exercise done either... I gotta remember to thank him some day. :D

Sign in to follow this