NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Domo Kun

The Ultimate Question

A year ago I would have said 360 by a country mile. I've always gone against Sony as I saw them as nothing more than a hype-machine that knew how to market their products very well thus brainwashing millions of people into buying their consoles.

I had a Saturn over a PSone, and Dreamcast/GameCube/Xbox over PS2 (although I did play and buy games for my brother's PS2). This has all changed now as today I became the proud owner of a PlayStation 3. I got a 360 back in January 2006 and hardly played it - I was still buying and playing more GameCube games than I was 360 games right through '06 & '07. And then in October the bloody thing red-ringed on me and that was pretty much it. I just can't have a console that I have to cross my fingers for everytime I turn it on - plus the extra expenses of Xbox Live, Wireless bridges and all the other gubbins. Sure the 360 pad is better but the SixAxis is already growing on me and is so goddamn light! Sure its only been a day but I'm so glad I decided to go with Sony. I really think announcing this new 'Ultimate Xbox' console will be a bad move by Microsoft and if everything nose dives through this year and into 2009 you can guarantee that Microsoft will ditch 360 for a new console.

I never got why people saw the RRoD as a mark against the 360 - Microsoft will repair it, at no cost, for 3 years, and it's not like you lose your data since the HDD is easily detachable..

The fact that there was an issue with 360's breaking down in the first place, and that they continued to do so well into 2007 (and for all I know probably continue to) is reason enough to hold or have held it against the 360.

I like Microsoft because they seem to have way more contact with the community through things like Major Nelson.

.....the 360 wins is every possible way.. the ps3 is still a good console though but....well you can't even get one that plays ps2 and 1 games anymore so why bother your arse?

I simply won't buy a PS3 because it is so much cheaper in America and especially because at launch we got cheaper hardware which emulated PS2 games and got a much higher price point. I find the complete lack of respect from Sony insulting.

I simply won't buy a PS3 because it is so much cheaper in America and especially because at launch we got cheaper hardware which emulated PS2 games and got a much higher price point. I find the complete lack of respect from Sony insulting.

Don't forget that we got it later than everyone else!

Don't forget that we got it later than everyone else!

That too but I can understand that could have been do to practical limitations as opposed to concise choice. If I find out the opposite is true then I am even more appalled with Sony's conduct.

Sony's conduct as a componay as a whole disgusts me. As Odwin posted in the HD format wars thread:

Buying into any format that could reliably prevent you from ever making a backup copy goes against everything this site has ever stood for - so if you care at all for what you can do with movies you pay good money for, you should stay away from Blu-ray just as any music buyer should stay away from DRM infected online music. And just so that it is said again: Blu-ray champion Sony has single-handedly killed RipIt4Me, is behind ArCCoS, has infected millions of PCs with a rootkit and has been peddling proprietary formats over standards for decades (MiniDisc, ATRAC, MemoryStick and UMD are just a few examples leading up to Blu-ray).

.....the 360 wins is every possible way.. the ps3 is still a good console though but....well you can't even get one that plays ps2 and 1 games anymore so why bother your arse?

PSOne games still work. Playing MGS FTW! I must pick that back up.

*Searches ebay*

I never got why people saw the RRoD as a mark against the 360 - Microsoft will repair it, at no cost, for 3 years, and it's not like you lose your data since the HDD is easily detachable..

The failure rate of the 360 is a problem because it's a huge annoyance for many people, and one that you do not expect to put up with having splashed out on a supposedly advanced piece of machinery.

It doesn't help that the repair process itself can be horrible. I had to spend a good 10 minutes spelling out my name and address to the Indian woman at the other end of the phone when my first 360 died, and I had to do it all over again a few days later when they still hadn't sent me e-mail confirmation. Then of course you have to schedule pick up of the broken unit and a time to have it returned, and in many cases this means people having to take a day off work for either or both. And then there are those people that have had to wait weeks or months to get their unit back, only for it to break again soon after.

The fact that Microsoft were pretty much forced into upping the warranty to 3 years should say it all, really.

Meh, I think I'll sit it out and wait atleast till they add Dualshock 3 controllers to the package. If Konami do add rumble to MGS4 then I'll be disgruntled at the cheap-feeling sixaxis pad.

Because you don't buy a Ps3 to play 5 year old games.

It was one of the advantages of the console for me, as I've never owned a PS2.

I know someone who got a cheap flight to Ireland to get the 60GB model (as it was the only place where they had them in a store). Well, he got three and sold two of them.

I was bothered about PS2 games not working but then I just thought, I've got a PS2 which I got in that Asda half price sale they had, so the combined price of PS2+PS3= £320 which is over £100 cheaper than the price it was at. So if they had to do that to give me a cheaper console they thats fine by me.

I've got a PS2 which I got in that Asda half price sale they had, so the combined price of PS2+PS3= £320 which is over £100 cheaper than the price it was at.

Are most PS2s going for only around 50£ now though?

I belive the PS2 was by far the best console of the last generation, so lack of backwards compatibility would be a problem for PS3 prospective buyers who don't own a PS2, but for me, it's not much of a problem.

Anyone who doesn't own a PS2 should buy one, btw.

I have quite an important question- how likely is the PS3 to flop? Is there a possibility that it'll do a Dreamcast? Also, how likely is it that it'll do a Gamecube (i.e. semi flop and not recieve any of the goods that the PS2 and Xbox were getting later on in their lives)?

I really wish there was only one platform. I hate capitalism haha.

I like Microsoft because they seem to have way more contact with the community through things like Major Nelson.

Yeah i like this. Xbox is more of a community, where M$ (or theire "representatives") talk to the consumers.

Seriously, if anyone on here had to choose one of either the PS3 and the 360, and not be allowed to play the other, how many would honestly choose the PS3? Come on!

Personally i would go for the 360! :)

I've regularly been playing on Bluejay's 360 and i love it! :grin:

I think it's a great console and because he buy's nothing but the best quality games, the selection of games i have played is the Xbox 360s AAA games and

i have had some great experiences especially when i borrowed it for a week! (if only he had Mass Effect then :heh:) I have fallen in love with Mass Effect and i was only playing it for about 20 minutes! :awesome:

The controller is really nice and comfortable when in my hands! though the button placementsconfuse me. :wtf: but that's just me. :heh:

Also everytime i went to play a game on the 360 i got easily distracted by the live arcade! With great games to play in their to it was hard to get bored (puzzle fighter FTW). I found a new console to get addicted to Tetris on as well! :yay: The problem for me is the expense i just can't afford a 360 and to get Xbox Live as well is just too much! But it is definately worth it!

The expereince of Xbox Live is great! I fail at Halo 3 and people would get bored of annihalating me in local multiplayer so to be able for both of us to go online and play other people is great and i improve (got Five Kills in a row : peace: ) that's good for me! The final thing that completes the 360 package is the Achivements they are a welcome addition to the games and some of them are really fun to get!

It's all about the gamerscore!!! :D

I have also briefly played a PS3 it was also a very good machine the games i played were not the best ones to show off the machines capabilities but i wasn't completely drawn into it! But i can't judge from those few times i have played on one!

I do not know that much about the machine and how it's online functions! i wouldn't buy it for bluray though as i buy my consoles to play games! Sony can't lure me in with there in built Blu ray player. :)

There is also no denying that the PS3 is getting great games this year but for me i'm not interested in a lot of them as i have never gotten into the series before. But there is some class games waiting in the wings which could cause problems for microsoft.

This is because i never got a PS2 so some of their exclusives like Metal Gear and Devil May cry i have never experienced before so have no knowledge of what they are like. :)

they cost around the same as each other now? and they both have their good and bad points! So what it comes down to i think is what games you want to play and which console has more of your favourite games and franchises on it!

I bought a Nintendo Wii as i knew it would have my favourite franchises on it! I'd hate to have a 360 or PS3 now and be unable to play Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime 3 that would be in my eyes worse and with Smash Bros coming out as well i will be entertained for ages! :bouncy:

(my longest post and most of it was rambling :))

Seriously, if anyone on here had to choose one of either the PS3 and the 360, and not be allowed to play the other, how many would honestly choose the PS3? Come on!

Oh, mygod. Ps3, support.

Can't, take, it. Grraarrggghhhh/

I can honestly say I would pick a PS3. Sure LIVE is great but im more of a single player gamer and the PS3 has my MGS and FF games, not to mention having Sucker Punch, Insomniac and Naughty Dog behind the machine.

I would choose the PS3. I can get most 360 games I'm interested in for my PC.

I would so easily go for the 360.

theres alot of games i want to play on the 360 and none for the PS3.

Also the ps3 is much more costly than the 360

Thats why i would go for the 360

Seriously, come on!

Seriously, shut up!

Alot of the people that are saying 360 also brought the HDDVD add on.

Dont listen to them for obvious reasons. :heh:

Sign in to follow this