NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Emasher

Should Gym Be Optional in high school?

Do you think gym should be optional in high school.  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think gym should be optional in high school.

• It should be optional in all four grades
    • It should only be mandatory in grade 9
    • It should only be mandatory in grades 9 and 10
    • It should be an option in grade 12 only
    • It should be mandatory throughout high school
    • Other (please specify in post)

It should be compulsory. Making it optional is surrendering to the fat kids, giving them what they want. If it was optional then the majority of the country would be obese within a few years.

Honestly, I didn't like it back then, I don't like it now. And I don't know anyone who's changed their mind about it because of it. Do you?

Sportsmanship? That's crap, there's always been two groups of people in PE: the ones who're good, and the ones who get picked last. How the fuck does that encourage sportsmanship and teamwork or help build confidence??

I'm gonna tell it like it is. I'm fat. I'm one of the kids who got picked last. With one exception: I'm not an outcast. The other guys didn't even dare to mock me. I always stood up for myself, and let nobody step on me. They think they're better than me? Well, I'll show them they're not.

But what about the other ones, the ones without moral fibber?

I saw the humiliation that goes on in these classes, and I tell you, that can bring no good into someone's life.

Oh, and one thing, I went through the entire high school without moving a single muscle in PE classes. I'm still here. I made it through. Living proof your theory doesn't work.

Plus, it destroys your average...

Wich of your arguments is still standing?

As you said, your overweight, therefore if you took part in physical activity surely you'd become more healthy. You haven't proven anything wrong, you've just chosen to push something away that could have really benefitted you.

Mandatory. Get those fat fuckers off their arses. Although some of them will probably skive and still do nothing. Instead, they'll play on their Gameboy's until they witness another student get attacked by an invisible monster, and the student starts bleeding. Then the fatties tell a teacher about the student, and they end up serving detention for telling porkies...

...Sorry, I digressed! :woops:

Personally, I loved PE. Especially when we played football. They didn't know that I could actually be good, if I wasn't stuck playing in defence!

As you said, your overweight, therefore if you took part in physical activity surely you'd become more healthy. You haven't proven anything wrong, you've just chosen to push something away that could have really benefitted you.

I'm 100% healthy. Seriously, I've never had a single health problem in my entire life. The worst thing I've had was a fever.

What could I have benefitted from? I love the way I am, I'm comfortable with my body, I can do anything you can. It hasn't slowed me down a single time in my entire life. What could be better coz of PE?

I'm 100% healthy. Seriously, I've never had a single health problem in my entire life. The worst thing I've had was a fever.

What could I have benefitted from? I love the way I am, I'm comfortable with my body, I can do anything you can. It hasn't slowed me down a single time in my entire life. What could be better coz of PE?

Are you actually trying to say that being overweight has no ill effects on you?

Try getting into a small vent :heh:

If your fat just eat less, I barely ever exercise and I'm one of the skinniest people in my year.

Obesity is mainly due to people eating out so much as restaurants serve way to big of proportions now. Kids drinking so much pop and energy drinks doesn't help either. Honestly energy drinks should not be sold to minors, it just creates problems in schools.

If your fat just eat less, I barely ever exercise and I'm one of the skinniest people in my year.

Obesity is mainly due to people eating out so much as restaurants serve way to big of proportions now. Kids drinking so much pop and energy drinks doesn't help either. Honestly energy drinks should not be sold to minors, it just creates problems in schools.

It works both ways. I eat everything in my wake, but I'm still fit because I exercise so regularly.:smile:

Also, eat some fruit. I don't have health problems, I'm fairly slim too, and I'm one of the few people I know who eats fruit and veg. Bar walking home from school, I don't exercise and I'm perfectly healthy and not fat. :D

Also, eat some fruit. I don't have health problems, I'm fairly slim too, and I'm one of the few people I know who eats fruit and veg. Bar walking home from school, I don't exercise and I'm perfectly healthy and not fat. :D

Pretty much the same here only I don't eat fruit and veggie bars because of my braces used to love those though.

Lately I've been eating vacuum packed containers of mandarine oranges.

Well firstly isn't it bad to be hitting the gym before a certain age? But as for gym in terms of PE i think it should be mandatory. I was never one for PE at secondary school as i was quite chubby back in those days but it never stopped me from having fun with my mates in the lessons. Fundamentally though how on earth do you think we can tackle this whole obesity problem if we don't give them the time of day to run about and kill off some calories when they're at school.

All in all i reckon it's just important to let people know about fitness, and let them pick what they want to do with their lives afterwards. And maybe healthy eating should be taught in conjunction.

Self confidence, stamina, feel in control of your body?

Yup. All those check out. Anything else?

Are you actually trying to say that being overweight has no ill effects on you?

Try getting into a small vent :heh:

I'm 1,82 meter tall and have huge shoulders. The fat comes later. Besides I'm not "fat", I have some extra pounds.

Being fat only becomes a problem if you go overboard. I'm as healthy as anyone could be.

Being fat only becomes a problem if you go overboard. I'm as healthy as anyone could be.

You could feel that way, infact I knew a few overweight people who could do triple backflips, do somersaults on diving boards and play a full 90 mins game of footy without putting their hands on their knees...The fact is however if your level of fat deems your overal body mass to be 'overweight' then you are more liable to certain diseases/illnesses than a person who isn't.

You could feel that way, infact I knew a few overweight people who could do triple backflips, do somersaults on diving boards and play a full 90 mins game of footy without putting their hands on their knees...The fact is however if your level of fat deems your overal body mass to be 'overweight' then you are more liable to certain diseases/illnesses than a person who isn't.

Cardiac diseases mostly, yeah... What I'm saying is I am perfectly healthy. And I dout any harm will ever come to me for those extra pounds I carry around...

I'll take that risk. I'm around 10 kilos fatter than my ideal weight.

Deffo compulsary.

At the time, I hated PE. I was one of those no-talented people who never really did well. However, since coming to uni I'm enjoying sports. I'm not the greatest by any stretch - the mentality of it has changed though. There's no nobs who want to make you look an idiot, instead there's friends who want to help you progress. And sport is fun now!

If kids are getting fatter then they need to be forced to do some kind of sport, but get rid of the mentality that you have to be amazing to do it, PE teachers should make it fun and have less pressure put on it.

Yes, it should DEFINITELY be optional. The reason is that 10 years on from your last PE lesson they will have counted for absolutely nothing, not that it does anyway really since it's such a short amount of excercise and so infrequent that it probably does little.

You only really need to excercise when you're older and at risk of heart attacks, atherosclerosis and the like. At that age it's not going to do anything, and it depends on the person themself after school to keep fit.

Optional!!

PE was the only thing I completely dreaded doing. Girls that age should at least have some privacy whilst getting changed.

Plus, I ended up getting told I wasnt allowed to do PE any more, because I was so unenthusiastic and bad at it. (I stood in the corner in football, and tried so hard not to touch the ball or be noticed)

I think its a terrible thing.

Optional!!

PE was the only thing I completely dreaded doing. Girls that age should at least have some privacy whilst getting changed.

Plus, I ended up getting told I wasnt allowed to do PE any more, because I was so unenthusiastic and bad at it. (I stood in the corner in football, and tried so hard not to touch the ball or be noticed)

...You mean your school did not have seperate changing rooms? Woah, let me just think about that for a while...

aha! i did the same thing!! :smile:

i think it's good to have PE... but as long as it's physical EDUCATION. i didnt learn ANYTHING in PE... i still remember the cross country runs - they just herded us out onto the dirt track road next to the school and told us to run O___o uhm... hello? shouldnt we stretch or something? i remember the look the teacher gave me when i asked her... "whaaa?"

at my school, PE was just learning how to play a variety of games, then playing them. PE should be a lesson that teaches you how to exercise properly and look after your body! THEN it'd be a worthwhile lesson...

i could argue that schools should only be teaching academic stuff but some people want to grow up and become sportsmen or artists or... farmers (i went to a farming school.... no kidding) so as long as it's actually teaching you something you can USE in later life (and NOT just how to play netball in the rain) then yes! compulsory... but i dont think it should be graded. some people are just bad at sports, you know?

...plus it's the only exercise some kids get nowadays... :nono:

Cardiac diseases mostly, yeah... What I'm saying is I am perfectly healthy. And I dout any harm will ever come to me for those extra pounds I carry around...

I'll take that risk. I'm around 10 kilos fatter than my ideal weight.

What about children at risk of becoming dangerously fat? Surely you can see why it helps young people?

What about children at risk of becoming dangerously fat? Surely you can see why it helps young people?

If they become fat bastards, it's because of their own stupidity. I don't believe in giving fish, I believe in teaching how to fish.

It won't because after they're 16 they'll just become fatter than whatever PE has taken off, thus reiterating what I've said. PE is a load of bollocks.

Optional!!

I feel your pain.

All the rest of my classmates would have done this had they been able to, so i just got revenge one day by being particularly abusive in a game of hockey =)

There's a lot of reasons i feel against PE..

I constantly injured myself trying to be "good", I didn't know back then that i had arthritis. (the type i have also very hard to prove conclusively) And ofc about six people using the same old "sore back" note, i just got treated like the rest of them and told to wise up. Took me having to take 2 months off school with slipped discs before they even caught on..

And having a skin condition was made all the worst by the abuse i used to receive in the changing room.

BUT saying this, i did love the thrill of playing a sport when i was in relatively good form, tae-bo rocked my socks something awesome, and i felt so much better after it :)

Thats really the problem, we don't learn anything in PE they just say run or whatever we are doing.

I got made fun of lots in the change rooms because of a muscular disease I have, and that disease makes most stuff harder for me in PE too.

The other problem is if we are forced to take PE we may not be able to take a more important coarse that we need to take a certain form of Post Secondary. Why not just give us a once a week/every second week/month class that teaches us about how to stay active and what the best forms of exercise are and also teaches us about healthy eating.

And forget about the kids who want to do sports after high school. Most of these kids just bully other kids who aren't as good at sports and they think they don't need to take academic courses because they will just get into the sport. Alot of these kids end up dropping out of high school because they were too stupid to pay attention in earlier education and now don't know anything. Most of the people who are good at sports are the smart ones who play it not the high school drop outs. So then these people can't get on a team they can't get another good job because they don't have any education. So the smarter ones get a low end job and the others end up begging on the street. Many of them are too stupid to go for an adult ed (or whatever its called in europe) class and they just add to the homeless or poor population.

Sign in to follow this