NEurope
AshMat

Duke Nukem Forever!

"Im gonna rip off your head and shit down your neck".. and for those who havent played the game.. he actually does it...

We used to lay ruin to my schools network when we downloaded the multiplayer demo.. we actually got a deal with our IT guy.. no Dukenukem before 4 i the afternoon..

Erm, I played Duke Nukem 1, 2 and 3D. They were all awesome.

It's still going to have to do something special to justify having been in development hell for 10 years, even within the standards of a Duke Nukem game.

This is exactly what I'm also trying to say. I think there's a good chance it will be good, but even if it's just 'good', 3D Realms have a lot to answer for...

It's still going to have to do something special to justify having been in development hell for 10 years, even within the standards of a Duke Nukem game.

Exactly. Plus, what's all this about the standards of Duke Nukem game, when Duke Nukem 3D came out it blew everything else away and was the forerunner in first person shooters until Quake came around.

Let me put this in another way, it wasn't in development for ten years, it was on the limbo of games which is not uncommon, and now it has come back. Lets be honest, how many of you were expecting this to actually be in development? This is essentially just for the fans, the ones that want badassery and some shooting.

3D Realms Shuts Down

A very reliable source close to Duke Nukem Forever developer 3D Realms today confirmed to Shacknews that the development studio has been shut down.

The closure came about as a result of funding issues, our source explained, with the shut down said to affect both 3D Realms and the recently resurrected Apogee. Employees of both entities have already been let go.

Phone calls and e-mails to various 3D Realms veterans have thus far gone unanswered, with 3D Realms publishing partner Take-Two and Apogee partner Deep Silver likewise unavailable for comment.

3D Realms was founded in 1987 by Scott Miller and George Broussard, and was best known for its Duke Nukem series of shooters starring the titular, bubblegum-lacking hero. The studio had infamously been working on Duke Nukem Forever, the next flagship franchise entry, for the past 13 years.

A final push to release Duke Nukem Forever began in 2007, marked by a short teaser starring the in-game hero that was released late that year.

Fuck it, I'll buy them out and develop the game myself. It will be released!

Fuck... truly the end of an era and a sad day indeed. :(

Wasn't there any way that this could have been avoided? I mean they must have made at least a bit from the Duke Nukem XBLA port... probably not enough to keep them afloat though but they could have released some of their other titles on Live as well such as Wolfenstien 3D - the original one - Rise of the Triad, Blake Stone etc... maybe even that would not have been enough though *sigh* oh well. :/

Edited by S.C.G

This was my initial reaction: lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

I hope the game never comes out. It'll play better as a running joke than it ever will as an actual game.

3D Realms may have gone under, and it's a shame, but Take Two still hold the license for Duke Nukem Forever and so it is entirely possible that all assets could be transferred to another development studio where work could continue, presumably at a much faster pace than 3D Realms were managing.

Well.... fuck, that sucks, a lot. :( Sure, they haven't done anything for years, and it probably serves them right for not getting DNF out fast enough, but it's still sad to see them go. I feel sorry for the devs that have lost thier jobs tbh. Oh, and it looks like DNF might go into limbo, and never see the light of day (although it already was really.)

Hmm even so I wonder if in the unlikely event that it does get released by Take Two, will it be any good? the original games - 2D ones plus the first 3D one - were awesome, but after that the quality dwindled somewhat.

I think the problem is that they put so much work into it but by the time they were 'due' to release it many other developers had allready surpassed it with a shooter of their own so I think it must have got rewritten several times, adding in loads of stuff from current shooter trends at the time, if this is true then surely the end result will be a mess?

Anyway perhaps we will never know, but I mourn the 3D realms of old for the times when they did actually make decent titles.

epic-fail-epic-fail-george-bush-president-u-s-a-usa-celebrit-demotivational-poster-1211157963.jpg

No. I think you have said quite enough. Perfect summation.

Never played DN but if development time gets in the decades it isn't possible for it to not be released. Obviously they can't have been working that hard/efficiently for all those 10 years but someone else will have to take it on.

Thing is over 10 years so much has changed maybe everything is out of date. That has probably been their biggest problem.

Let's hope someone helps them out or takes over the development. I'm a fan of Duke on the PC and N64 so I've looking forward to Duke Nukem Forever... since I was in like... second year, lol!

They changed engine something like 4 or 5 times.

such a bunch of shit. did they make anything in all this time? Who in god's name funded this debacle, and with what?

This was my initial reaction: lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

Came in here to post this.

Hopefully DNF will be passed on to someone else, as I assume what there was of this game was even higher quality to Prey, which I loved to bits. Remedy or Rockstar seem like good candidates to me to finish this off, both of which are close with Take Two.

Ironically enough, it seems we are more likely to see this released now that this has happened :\

Great shame to be honest.

R.I.P 3D Realms.

I thought it had been confirmed that the Duke Nukem trilogy will be going ahead as planned?

I thought it had been confirmed that the Duke Nukem trilogy will be going ahead as planned?

Yes, that's true, but Duke Nukem Trilogy is a completely different game to DNF. It's also being developed by Apogee, hence the closure of 3D Realms having no effect on Trilogy's deveopment.