NEurope
AshMat

Duke Nukem Forever!

That and the level design is shit.

It can't be that bad, I got through that part and never even noticed that situation. There have been a couple of occasions where I've got stuck though, as it's not always obvious what to do, and then it turns out to be really obvious. But I've had similar situations in lots of other games though, games that could never be accused of bad level design.

The level design isn't bad it's just generic... there's a difference and even though it might adhere to a certain design template it's still fun to play whereas I've played many shooters that have excellent level design but aren't actually that fun at all... :blank:

Seems like this is selling well proves people will buy anything if its shoved down their throat enough!

Im not suprised to be honest, I was tempted to buy it originally as well. Its just become this legendary game that never seemed like it would come out so its not suprising that people are curious how it turned out.

I've found it more enjoyable than Brink...

And if that's not a selling point then I don't know what is... :wink:

And if that's not a selling point then I don't know what is... :wink:

Hahaha. I'm happy to take it for what it is really. Yes it's shit in a lot of ways. It's also entertaining enough to keep me coming back.

I've nearly finished this game and I think the best thing it has is a refreshingly old-school approach. There are parts where the game falters, weak aspects of level design but that's not surprising considering when this game first started.

Really it's just nice to play a shooter that involves spraying loads of bullets into exploding aliens, stomping on things, and causing big explosions. No bringing the gun to the centre of the screen to look down the iron sights, no taking cover and very few scripted sequences. In some ways it's a bit too vulgar, even for Duke. He seems to have gone from cool bad-ass to an angry teenager with a deep voice, but it's still Duke.

I liked it. It wasn't amazing, but I don't think it was ever going to blow us all away. People are looking at this as though it should be the culmination of 12 years of constant development, but it hasn't been. It's been 11 years of development hell, stopping, starting, selling, hiring, firing and repeatedly playing catch-up with the current state of gaming. Ultimately you're left with a game which was never going to redefine anything, but instead is the next step for Duke Nukem, just years and years late.

Had this game been released in its original window, or even the second or third planned release date, it would've been a game-changer. In the end it just wound up being what we expected, and nothing more.

My biggest flaws would be not enough secret places/weapons for a Duke game, and that they gave him regenerating health. To really complete the old-school feel and sell it on that, they should've gone with med kits and a health counter.

Cheers for the grounded review. It's kind of what I was expecting - no way any game could live up to this hype, ultimately all duke had to save him was the tongue-in-cheek humour. I'll definitely look to pick this up once it drops to £20 or less.

Shorty is being overly charitable. This game has its tongue firmly stapled to the butthole of bad game design and taste.

Cheers for the grounded review. It's kind of what I was expecting - no way any game could live up to this hype, ultimately all duke had to save him was the tongue-in-cheek humour. I'll definitely look to pick this up once it drops to £20 or less.

Rent it tbh.

Sign up to lovefilm at the moment and get a £20 amazon voucher, phone up and cancel before 30 days is up, keep the voucher:

http://www.lovefilm.com/partnership/lfam1520e?affil=awin&affil=47868&awc=2605_1308129569_f09fb4938e0e7d637219e5ba35845b5a

Mind you it's probably a pretty popular rental the mo so you might not get it sent out within the trial window.

This is getting astoundingly poor reviews. Edge and Eurogamer both gave it 3/10. Ouch

3/10 from Eurogamer is ridiculous. It doesn't live up to the hype, and is in many ways quite poor. But it's not broken, short, particularly boring, unattractive, clunkily controlled, devoid of plot, rehashed or rushed (lol).

Lets look at some of the other games Eurogamer have given 3/10:

Spider-Man: Friend or Foe

Superman Returns: The Videogame

Super Monkey Ball (for Ngage)

Shadow of Zorro

The X Factor Sing

The Sopranos: Road to Respect

Hello Kitty Roller Rescue

Golden Axe Beast Rider

Iron Man!!!

There is no way this game is even half as poor as any of those. I call marketing ploy. They did that so that people like you would mention them alongside Edge to bring in traffic.

If you actually read the reviews, they have plenty of reasons behind the scores. IGN gave it 55, which makes it about....3/10, 7/10 being the IGN average ;)

Dad's got a livefilm account so I can't take advantage of that. May try and convince him to let me get it on his rental in the future for a few quid, or something though!

In some ways it's a bit too vulgar, even for Duke. He seems to have gone from cool bad-ass to an angry teenager with a deep voice, but it's still Duke.

Very nice comparison. I'm only about two hours into the game but that's what really bothers me. I never expected the game to live up to the hype but I expected Duke's character to live up to it. Instead he just walks around trying to show everyone how great he is. Also, we get it, Duke likes Babes but making every woman in the game totally horny is bloody annoying.

Dunno if you've heard but Eurogamer have been blacklisted by 2K for their review. Fucking odious practice.

Not by 2K:

2K sacks US PR over Duke review row

Publisher 2K Games has severed links with its external US public relations and marketing agency after the outfit Tweeted that it was considering blacklisting sites that gave Duke Nukem Forever a particularly rough ride.

A post on The Redner Group's Twitter feed earlier today read: "Too many went too far with their reviews...we are reviewing who gets games next time and who doesn't based on today's venom," followed by another stating "Bad scores are fine. Venom filled reviews...that's completely different."

Much internet ire duly followed, and 2K has just chimed in, announcing that it's given Redner its marching orders.

"2K Games does not endorse or condone the comments made by @TheRednerGroup and confirm they no longer represent our products," read a post on its own Twitter feed.

"We maintain a mutually respectful relationship with the press and will continue to do so. We don't condone @The RednerGroup's actions at all," a further post added.

The offending posts have since been removed from Redner's feed, replaced by grovelling apologies.

For the record, Eurogamer awarded the long-delayed shooter 3/10 over the weekend.

"The appeal of Duke Nukem lives on. But your time and money would be better spent reliving his iconic past than bearing witness to this gruesomely mangled resurrection," wrote Dan Whitehead.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-15-2k-sacks-us-pr-over-duke-review-row

I feel sorry for @TheRednerGroup today. We are blacklisted by @2KGames and it seems to be standard practice.

This was after Redner group got the sack, obviously. Ergo they were not sacked for threatening blacklisting - they were sacked for doing so publicly.