NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Tellyn

The Hobbit Is On For 2010/11

Peter Jackson has resolved his differences with New Line. New Line are teaming up with MGM, with Jackson as the executive producer, to make two films based on the Hobbit.

Entertainment Weekly is reporting that The Hobbit finally has a greenlight and that production will begin immediately. Peter

Jackson has resolved his longstanding issues with the studio and will be involved with The Hobbit and a sequel (we're presuming this means the book will be split in two). That's the very good news.

The more intriguing, and possibly unsettling for some, news is that Jackson will not be directing, but serving as Executive Producer. A director is being sought. In a press release, apparently to released shortly, Jackson said:

"I’m very pleased that we’ve been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line. ‘The Lord of the Rings’ is a legacy we proudly share with Bob and Michael, and together, we share that legacy with millions of loyal fans all over the world. We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth. I also want to thank Harry Sloan and our new friends at MGM for helping us find the common ground necessary to continue that journey.â€

There is no script written yet and can't be until the writer's strike is finished, so this won't be in cinemas until 2010, but it's fantastic news that it's finally going to happen. Jackson's involvement surely means that a great director will be found to continue the story, though we'd prefer that he'd be the man to close the ring. So, readers, how do you feel about this and who would you give the directing gig? We'll start you off with a man who can handle fantasy, effects and heart: Guillermo Del Toro.

UPDATE: The press release has just arrived in our inbox and provides the additional information that the film will be co-financed by MGM and New Line, with New Line distributing in North America and MGM internationally. Jackson and New Line have also settled all litigation regarding Lord of the Rings.

The film now has an official blog at http://www.thehobbitblog.com, which you should keep your eye on for updates. But obviously you should check Empire first, because we're nice and it's always a delight to see you. Now, will you have a cup of tea while you're here. And you'll have a biscuit of course. Oh, you will, it's Christmas.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=21687

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

It's ages away, and we're still not sure who the director will be, but WOO!:yay:

Also, this was posted in the movie-news thread, but it is awesome news!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

And i read somewhere McKellen wants to play Gandalf too.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

And i read somewhere McKellen wants to play Gandalf too.

Of course he does. After LotR he told fans to "pressure" them to make a Hobbit film so that he could star in it. But I think he's a good actor anyway.

Great news.

Pffft, I post this in the Movie News Thread and nobody cares :cry:

I didn't see it, but it deserves a thread of its own. :D I think so anyway.

OMG! The Hobbit!

YES!!!

Two films? So they're splitting up the book? Great idea. So, will that mean that both films together will be 6+ hours (7-8+ for the obligatory extended editions). Aces.

Only problem is the wait.

Sign in to follow this