NEurope
tapedeck

Save system on wii...poor or not?

Ok I'm confused.

When you save a game your saves go onto the wii itself. I get that 'simple' part. And I also 'get' that you can copy these saves to an SD card.

However, how come SOME saves will not transfer to SD card? (And no, the SD is not full).

And if you download a save file online and put it to SD card, then transfer it to Wii, it does not work at all.

Am I missing out on something? I personally feel that the Wii save system is pretty horrible and if you want to take your saves to a friends house it just seems cumbersome. However, it may just be me missing something obvious.

The worst thing about the save system is that some (e.g. Metroid Prime 3) only work with the right Mii. Meaning that there's not much use in backing them up.

The worst thing about the save system is that some (e.g. Metroid Prime 3) only work with the right Mii. Meaning that there's not much use in backing them up.

Yeah that is one of the most stupidest ideas that they came up with. Am I right in thinking that if your console breaks down and you need to send it off to get it repaired when it comes back those saves wont work as Nintendo wipe your Wiis memory dont they?

Some can't be copied because they arent suitable to be copied. For example, Animal Crossing on the GC couldn't be copied from one memory card to the other.

And I've taken several game saves to a friends house on an SD card in the past, and all worked fine.

Only thing I don't like about it is the fact that you can't save stuff directly to an SD card.

Yeah that is one of the most stupidest ideas that they came up with. Am I right in thinking that if your console breaks down and you need to send it off to get it repaired when it comes back those saves wont work as Nintendo wipe your Wiis memory dont they?

I don't think they do. If you remember the wiis that had the update glitch right after the launch nintendo said they would either replace them, or if you wanted to keep your saved data you could send it away to get it fixed.

I used my saves on various Wiis before and it work fine. Maybe just some games don't work.

I've transfered my saves to SD and used on a cousins Wii number of times including Metroid

After downloading a save online, you'll either get a plain old data.bin or a zipped file.

If you have a data.bin, you have to place it in a folder structure on your SD card like so: \private\wii\title\GAME\data.bin (replacing GAME with it's corresponding game code from the game code list (google it)).

If you get a zipped file, it most likely has all of it's folder structure in tact, so all you have to do is extract it to your SD card so it shows up like the above folder structure.

I really really didn't think it would be that complicated!

What's the point of downloading saves. If every objective has been reached then what's the fun in playing it.

Same with action replays ect. I can see why someone may want to use one of these if they were reviewing a game but it just takes the fun right out of it. Ok maybe its fun for a few minutes while your laughing at the fact that you can walk through walls or defeat everyone with-ought any effort, but it gets boring pretty fast. Don't even get me started on people who cheat and then go online.

After downloading a save online, you'll either get a plain old data.bin or a zipped file.

If you have a data.bin, you have to place it in a folder structure on your SD card like so: \private\wii\title\GAME\data.bin (replacing GAME with it's corresponding game code from the game code list (google it)).

If you get a zipped file, it most likely has all of it's folder structure in tact, so all you have to do is extract it to your SD card so it shows up like the above folder structure.

I really really didn't think it would be that complicated!

How is that complicated. You just make new folders.

How is that complicated. You just make new folders.

Seems a bit silly tbh.

The only reason I have an issue is because I took Sonic and Mario @ olympics and GH3 to my folks this weekend to play and we could only do 8ish events on m&s and 6 songs on GH3. It really peeved me that it wouldn't just copy to my SD card previously. I think I prefer the ease-of-use memory cards of the past.

Sure I can see the benefits of having internal memory and all that, but "please" just make it easier to take your saves with you on the road. I guess next time I'll have to take the actual wii round and just unpug my folks' console.

It's only the size of 200 SD cards afterall!

I always take my saves with me on my SD card and I never have problems, and it's better than PS3/360 system anyway.

I wonder how it is better. I mean both PS3 and 360 also let you copy to memory cards. Obviously the PS3 more because of all the memory types it supports. You could just stick your saves on your PSP and take them round to your mates, no problems there, simple and easy.

It's only the size of 200 SD cards afterall!

Did you work that out? :heh:

Yeah its a bit strange this, last week I tried to copy my Endless Ocean save to an SD card but I couldn't do it. Pretty annoying!

But you can keep the right Mii in your wiimote.

What's the point of downloading saves. If every objective has been reached then what's the fun in playing it.

The point is to get out of a game glitch. Like the one in Zelda TP where there's a place that if you save at the wrong time, you will not be able to progress. To help people who activate this glitch, there is a save just before that on the net. I think GameFAQs has it.

Yeah its a bit strange this, last week I tried to copy my Endless Ocean save to an SD card but I couldn't do it. Pretty annoying!

Indeed this happened with me too. My dad wanted me to show him endless ocean yet my save wouldn't copy to an SD card from the wii and so we had to trawl through the beginning scenes and I couldn't really show him anything specific in the game. Frustrating as hell!

I wonder how it is better. I mean both PS3 and 360 also let you copy to memory cards. Obviously the PS3 more because of all the memory types it supports. You could just stick your saves on your PSP and take them round to your mates, no problems there, simple and easy.

I forgot that ps2 had memory card support :P But 360 you need to buy the system memory card right?

Can't save Elebits data either!!! ALL 128 'blocks' of it!!!

See...I'm not the only one having problems. It's a terrible design flaw.

See...I'm not the only one having problems. It's a terrible design flaw.

Is it a design flaw... I don't know. I mean if it was, no data could be transferred. So is it on purpose... and if so why only certain Save games???

I remember not being able to copy F-Zero GX' main save file to another MC. So it depends on the save I guess.

Am I right in thinking that if your console breaks down and you need to send it off to get it repaired when it comes back those saves wont work as Nintendo wipe your Wiis memory dont they?

When I sent mine they replaced it with a new one (or maybe they just put a different number on it:heh:) and transferred everything (messages, Mii's, saves). I didn't even ask for it:smile:

Only my Mii isn't seen as being created by me though...