NEurope
Mokong

No DVD case for Wii Sports in new Wii's?

My cousin just bought a Wii for himself and I went to help him out set it up, and as we were going through the box I was looking fro Wii Sports, and couldn't seem to find it.... then i realized it wasn't in a DVD case it was instead in that ugly carboard packing that it was in when the Wii released in the US.

When did Nintendo stop using the DVD case for it? And why?

Good thing I had some old Wii Points Card boxes, just found a pic of the Wii Sports boxart, printed it and slapped it inside the Wii Points case and gave him that.

Actually now that I think of it here's a better question, Why the hell would they stop providing the DVD case for Wii Sports but still insist on wasting tons of DVD cases as Wii Points Card packaging?

Seriously this is elementary stuff you'd think Nintendo would be making such inefficent cost mistakes as what they do with the Wii Points cases

I think they stopped it a while ago. The Wii I bought last month only had a card board sleeve.

I much prefer the plastic cases by a long shot. Can't remember when they stoped though, I think it was a few months ago, someone else might know.

Yup. I got my Wii in about August I think, and I was mightily disappointed to find Wii Sports in a card sleeve. I'll buy a spare white DVD case and print off a high quality cover, but that's not the point is it? Yeah I have to say it's a silly thing to drop really.

I think they stopped it a while ago. The Wii I bought last month only had a card board sleeve.

I much prefer the plastic cases by a long shot. Can't remember when they stoped though, I think it was a few months ago, someone else might know.

The one you bought last month? You're not some evil eBayer are you?

Actually now that I think of it here's a better question, Why the hell would they stop providing the DVD case for Wii Sports but still insist on wasting tons of DVD cases as Wii Points Card packaging?

I was going to say at leats it is environmentally friendly, but you make a good point =/

They did it to cut back costs, and save money for their selves. Nintendo really are shitty like that.

They did it to cut back costs, and save money for their selves. Nintendo really are shitty like that.

So why do they still package Wii Points Cards in DVD cases when there is clearly ZERO need for it:heh:

What would make the most sense?

1: Package Wii Sports with proper DVD style cases and stop using DVD cases for Points Cards

or

2: Stop the DVD cases for Wii Sports and package Points Cards in DVD cases?

Upping production by a large amount (300,000 a month wasn't it?) takes more than just whipping your workers.

Dvd box cases won't be made by nintendo, they'll be made by a different company, who then ships them to Nintendo factories. Then the game is put inside of them and they're put in the Wii box.

Say that Nintendo can only fit 1000 dvd box cases in their factory at once, and they get a shipment once a day. Upping production means that they want to make more than 1000 Wiis a day, which means they've run out of boxes for Wii Sports. Getting cardboard sleeves instead means they can fit 10,000 sleeves in the same space as 1000 dvd box cases, which means they can make more Wiis in a day.

You can't make factories work harder by magic. Sometimes shortcuts must be taken.

I noticed a cousin of mine also didn't get a case with it, he bought his Wii a couple of months ago.

Upping production by a large amount (300,000 a month wasn't it?) takes more than just whipping your workers.

Dvd box cases won't be made by nintendo, they'll be made by a different company, who then ships them to Nintendo factories. Then the game is put inside of them and they're put in the Wii box.

Say that Nintendo can only fit 1000 dvd box cases in their factory at once, and they get a shipment once a day. Upping production means that they want to make more than 1000 Wiis a day, which means they've run out of boxes for Wii Sports. Getting cardboard sleeves instead means they can fit 10,000 sleeves in the same space as 1000 dvd box cases, which means they can make more Wiis in a day.

You can't make factories work harder by magic. Sometimes shortcuts must be taken.

Ok that makes sense, but once again I find myself saying "why don't they use the cases for the Points Card and put the cards into like a plastic wrap thingy... massive cash and space savings right there.

Surely the Point Card cases are to make them stand out at retail? I mean, they're surely going to stand out better then whatever else you'd have them packaged as.

It is a bit of a waste, although it's nice to get some spare cases from it so I can't complain.

I got my Wii as a graduation present from my folks on the 23rd of June and my Wii Sports is in a cardboard sleeve - I was amazed and its a bit of a pain actually. The most stupid thing is you still get a DVD sized Wii Sports manual inside the plastic bags that you get you Wii console manuals in!!! Not got round to buying a retail Wii Points card yet but will do eventually even just to get a case for Wii Sports!

I kind of hate the cardboard sleeve because I find it scratches the game a bit. But I'm doing the wii points thing. Got my box just need to print out some box art.

Pretty much. They are back to their usual selves, except with more cash cows.

I've seen the cardboard sleeves, they suck.

But if things like this help speed up getting Wiis out to consumers this Christmas.. every little helps.

I got my Wii last week and it too came with the cardboard sleeve. That doesn’t really bother me however mine was sealed with tape which their was no way to remove without it tearing away the sleeves art/front cover.