NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Also a few questions about Plus: how does it work? Are games on Plus made available only for a limited amount of time? Should I get Plus now even though I've got enough games to play through at the moment?

Happy to have finally joined the club!

Welcome aboard! :)

Yep, if you can spare the £30-£40 get Plus as soon as possible.

There are a couple of games for each Playstation console that stay on Plus for about 6 months, these games for the PS3 currently are Uncharted 3 and LittleBigPlanet Karting.

Other than that the other PS3 games swap in and out each month or other month. And there are some great games up at the moment with Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light, with Tomb Raider and Brother: A Tale of Two Sons rumoured for next month. Guacamelee and XCOM are also up atm but will probably leave it soon.

In terms of PSN games I'd recommend you:

Journey (which you want anyway)

The Unfinished Swan

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

In terms of exclusive PS3 games then definately:

Infamous

Infamous 2 (I have this in my Plus list to play too)

Uncharted 1 (which I personally rate as better than 2)

Beyond: Two Souls

and The Puppeteer... are two exclusives I haven't yet played but are on my list to.

The Ratchet & Clank series and Sly Cooper 4 are also games I need to get myself, but great looking platformers.

I'm currently playing Shadow of the Colossus myself, great stuff! :D

Are there any other good exclusives you guys would recommend?

Since you already have TLoU, Unch2, Ni No Kuni and Journey on your list, I'd say you're missing:

3D Dot Game Heroes

Demon's Souls (and Dark Souls is also a must, if you haven't already played it)

Flower

Unfinished Swan

Valkyria Chronicles

If you like Shemnue, the Yakuza games (3 & 4), too. Next best thing.

I'd stay away from Little Big Planet and Puppeteer... incredibly charming art direction, but the gameplay is very subpar.

Heavy Rain is enjoyable, but ultimately a monumental failure... for a game that's supposed to be all about the story, he managed to fuck it up big time. But it's still enjoyable and you should probably still give it a go, if it piqued your interest.

@Retro_Link, what the F is wrong with you? Oo Uncharted 1 better than 2? Are you insane? Oo 2 is the only one that actually matters, 1 was incredibly average/unremarkable and 3 is a semi-failed attempt at cloning 2.

@Retro_Link, what the F is wrong with you? Oo Uncharted 1 better than 2? Are you insane? Oo 2 is the only one that actually matters, 1 was incredibly average/unremarkable and 3 is a semi-failed attempt at cloning 2.
Uncharted 2 is the worst of the three games IMO, no doubt about it. I don't get the love for that game at all. Uncharted 1 is a far more intimate game, I cared far more about Drake and Elena, I preferred the largely singular setting, I actually thought the overall story was better.

Uncharted 2 is far too over the top for its own good. That game is insanely dumb. You're jumping all over the place in terms of locations and there are so many action sequences where you are just running, it the most linear of the trilogy, extremely so, I think the balance is too much in the favor of gunfights, and the story is ridiculous. Also I prefer Elena as a partner.

Uncharted 3 is better than Uncharted 2 in every way IMO and was probably my most enjoyed of the three games. I enjoyed that game immensely, closely followed by Uncharted 1.

I do realise I'm in the minority though :p

---

Oh and @Zell, you can also add the PS4 and PS Vita games that are on Plus to your download list each month, even if you don't have those consoles to actually download them to yet! They'll just stay saved in you list for when you might do :)

Edited by Retro_Link

I feel sad for people who buy a PS3 now. The amount of games they have to play.....

As for Plus, if you pay for it now, you cannot play the games later if you no longer subscribe. It's like Netflix.

Oh and UC2>UC3 :p

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they preferred UC1 over UC2 until now. New things!

Welcome aboard! :)

Yep, if you can spare the £30-£40 get Plus as soon as possible.

There are a couple of games for each Playstation console that stay on Plus for about 6 months, these games for the PS3 currently are Uncharted 3 and LittleBigPlanet Karting.

Other than that the other PS3 games swap in and out each month or other month. And there are some great games up at the moment with Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light, with Tomb Raider and Brother: A Tale of Two Sons rumoured for next month. Guacamelee and XCOM are also up atm but will probably leave it soon.

In terms of PSN games I'd recommend you:

Journey (which you want anyway)

The Unfinished Swan

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

In terms of exclusive PS3 games then definately:

Infamous

Infamous 2 (I have this in my Plus list to play too)

Uncharted 1 (which I personally rate as better than 2)

Beyond: Two Souls

and The Puppeteer... are two exclusives I haven't yet played but are on my list to.

The Ratchet & Clank series and Sly Cooper 4 are also games I need to get myself, but great looking platformers.

I'm currently playing Shadow of the Colossus myself, great stuff! :D

Thanks! Looks like Plus is the way to go!

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons will definitely be on my radar. I was going to check out Heavy Rain before I decide to go for Beyond: Two Souls. Not sure when I'd get round to it, Heavy Rain is bottom of my list at the moment - I only picked it up because it was cheap.

Since you already have TLoU, Unch2, Ni No Kuni and Journey on your list, I'd say you're missing:

3D Dot Game Heroes

Demon's Souls (and Dark Souls is also a must, if you haven't already played it)

Flower

Unfinished Swan

Valkyria Chronicles

If you like Shemnue, the Yakuza games (3 & 4), too. Next best thing.

I'd stay away from Little Big Planet and Puppeteer... incredibly charming art direction, but the gameplay is very subpar.

Heavy Rain is enjoyable, but ultimately a monumental failure... for a game that's supposed to be all about the story, he managed to fuck it up big time. But it's still enjoyable and you should probably still give it a go, if it piqued your interest.

Ah I knew I missed something, I definitely need to play through Valkyria Chronicles as well, I'll add it to my list!

Which would you say is better, Demon's Souls or Dark Souls? I haven't played either, but I'm fairly interested in playing the series at some point.

Oh and @Zell, you can also add the PS4 and PS Vita games that are on Plus to your download list each month, even if you don't have those consoles to actually download them to yet! They'll just stay saved in you list for when you might do :)

So basically I should just download all the games I can in case I get a PS4 or Vita later.

I feel sad for people who buy a PS3 now. The amount of games they have to play.....

As for Plus, if you pay for it now, you cannot play the games later if you no longer subscribe. It's like Netflix.

Oh and UC2>UC3 :p

Ah I see. But if I were to unsubscribe and then resubscribe I would regain access to all my games I downloaded previously through Plus?

@Zell annoyingly Demon Souls was on Plus until last month maybe :p Another reason why it's best to just get on it as son as possible and make sure you don't miss out.

Unless you cancel Plus it will just renew itself each year I think. But sometimes websites sell 1 years Plus for £30, so look for those.

And yep, just add all the Plus games you're interested in to your download list what ever the console.

Good times ahead! :D

So basically I should just download all the games I can in case I get a PS4 or Vita later.

Yes, you can do it from here: http://www.store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

Ah I see. But if I were to unsubscribe and then resubscribe I would regain access to all my games I downloaded previously through Plus?

Yes, that's correct.

Has Sony said how long they will have Plus on PS3? Seeing as PS4 is here.

@Zell, I think others have covered the main games, but I can't recommend Journey and Valkryia Chronicles enough. They are both fantastic games and my favourites on the system. I'd also recommend looking at the Disgaea games, as there's a fair few of them on the PS3 and they are meant to be fantastic RPGs.

I've heard mixed things about Uncharted 2 and the consensus on GAF is that U2 is a better game, although I did find myself getting bored of that game; a lot of set pieces but the gameplay is so so imo.

Good luck with Heavy Rain...man, I loved that game and hated it at the same time :heh:

I think it'd be impossible to mention Valkyria Chronicles without saying WUUHHH-ELLLL-KEEEEN *glistening large watery eyes*. That game was the bomb.

The glowing blue radiators on the back of tanks also remind me of the small weak spot inexplicably present on the Death Star.

Ah I knew I missed something, I definitely need to play through Valkyria Chronicles as well, I'll add it to my list!

Which would you say is better, Demon's Souls or Dark Souls? I haven't played either, but I'm fairly interested in playing the series at some point.

Do that, it's a great RPG! I'd SERIOUSLY check out 3D Dot Game Heroes, too... it's essentially old school Zelda by the same guys who made Bravely Default and published by From (the Dark Souls guys)!

Speaking of which, between Demon's/Dark Souls? That's a hard one... if you intend to play both, I'd start with Demon's. It's probably my favourite of the two but Dark Souls is the superior game/experience. Regardless, they're both masterpieces and should both be experienced. Two of the best games ever made, in my eyes, regardless of which order you play them in... Top notch stuff, really.

Shit there are so many games I want to play since I basically rediscovered JRPGs. 3D Dot Game Heroes and Valkyria Chronicles?

I'm going to have to start bringing my DS/Vita to work so I can get through my backlog on my lunch...

I never really gelled with 3D Dot Game Heroes, but Valkyria Chronicles is a must. There's nothing quite like it.

I've decided once 4G arrives in my area and if I'm not imminently jumping for a PS4 I'm going to swap my 360 out for a PS3 and enjoy the highlights I've missed until now. I've been surfing around ebay over the past week and you can almost sit and watch the prices of PS3s tumble downwards.

I've decided once 4G arrives in my area and if I'm not imminently jumping for a PS4 I'm going to swap my 360 out for a PS3 and enjoy the highlights I've missed until now. I've been surfing around ebay over the past week and you can almost sit and watch the prices of PS3s tumble downwards.
Welcome to the jungle, we got fun and GAMES! :santa:

Fucks sake... my PS3 slim which I bought brand new less than a year again is refusing to turn on. :(

I was playing inFamous on it yesterday with no problems but now it's like this...

Standby with red light - Press power button - lights come on as normal, makes whirring sound as if starting - 3 seconds later nothing.

sometimes after this I will get different flashing lights which I believe to be an error code...

white - green - green - red - red - green - green - green - green

green - green - red - red - green - red - green - red

And then it starts again. :/

So it would seem to me that it's a hardware failure and my options are...

Replace a capacitor - if that's the problem

Buy a new PS3

Am I right in thinking that if I buy another original slim PS3 that I can just take the hard drive out of the faulty one, put it in the new one and all will be well? That would mean I would be able to carry on from exactly where I was when my PS3 was working?

I fear that this might be my only option, oh and I'll need to buy a new copy of inFamous as well because that's the last game I was playing on it... the disc is still in the machine. :hmm:

This had to happen right in the middle of my inFamous/2/festival of blood marathon as well. :cry:

Unfortunately you can't just take the hard drive out and put it in another machine. If that were possible, people could just download games to hard drive off the internet and plug it into their PS3. You would have to do a system transfer (which needs the old PS3 to be working) to move it over, or download your stuff again. If your saves were on the Plus cloud then they should be downloadable.

I have a feeling that it might be the power supply... being that it powers on but only for a second, hopefully these are simple to replace, this seems to be my only option being that I don't want to lose all my stuff. :/

If it's less than a year ago you should be under warranty?

Bought it boxed off eBay... the console itself had actually never been used but I'm guessing normal warranty won't apply to me, besides I'm pretty certain that it's the PSU which has failed so I might as well replace it myself as I can get a new one off eBay for around £35 and I bet Sony would charge me more than that for the repair...

...plus I don't trust that I'll get my original system back or that something won't go wrong resulting in loss of data so I'll be opening it up today - which I think I need to do in order to make sure I order the right model of PSU (please correct me if I'm wrong here) - but apart from that it shouldn't be too bad. :)

Might even be able to test the PSU once it's opened up because it could just be a component inside that needs replacing, we shall see anyway. : peace:

*sigh* just fitted a brand new power supply that arrived this morning, still not starting up. :(

Next thing on the list to replace... the Blu Ray Drive I guess? ::shrug:

Though I suppose it could be the hard drive... so I'd best take it out and try powering on the system to see.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

much later...

The best part of a day later after much testing, narrowing things down it would seem it's the motherboard. :(

-----------------

*Update*

New PS3 ordered...

...£199.85 welp! :hmm:

At least it comes with a 12 month replacement warranty - from ShopTo - if anything goes wrong though plus I'll have an extra 180GB to play with but still, I had hoped that I wouldn't have to shell out for another PS3 this early and I hope that now I'll never have to again. :p

I just want to get back to playing inFamous... ::shrug:

That's a point actually, I know the hard drives themselves are locked but isn't there a way that I can get a USB hard drive enclosure reader so that I could somehow at least recover my game saves by moving them to PC, then to USB drive and finally onto the new PS3?

Edited by S.C.G
Automerged Doublepost

Sorry to say @S\.C\.G if it can't be turned on then you're out of luck. Your PC won't even recognise the PS3 partition if you were to do all that.

Shame you couldn't pick up one of the cheap PS3s and slot your previous hard drive in it, I recall some deals recently where the super slim 12GB was £100 new.

Shame you couldn't pick up one of the cheap PS3s and slot your previous hard drive in it, I recall some deals recently where the super slim 12GB was £100 new.

Yeah it's a bit of a shame, but at least now that I've bitten the bullet this should hopefully be the last PS3 I'll ever have to buy, I've still got a fair few games that I want to buy/play for the system including...

Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD

Infamous/2/Festival of Blood

Final Fantasy X/X2 HD

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5/2.5

Sly Cooper Collection

Tales of... Symphonia/Graces/Xillia/2

The Last of Us

So it's definitely worth it considering that I'll be playing it a lot over the course of this year and beyond. :)

Plus... well, 'plus' basically :hehe: I'm sure I'll be filling up a fair amount of the 500GB hard drive with all the free games.

Anyway, I've deactivated all my Sony systems via the website - it's completely baffling that you can do this for all only but not just one? :hmm: - my PSV has been reactivated and I'm going to do the same for my PS4 right now; all going well my shiny new PS3 will be added to the activation list tomorrow and I'll start playing inFamous again... :D

...I was halfway through a 'good' playthrough so I'm now tempted to play the whole game as an 'evil' run, one small silver lining perhaps? ;)

Well my PS3 Super Slim arrived at around 10:30am today, once I'd got everything set up and installed I started playing inFamous at around midday... it's now midnight, I'm just about contemplating stopping playing in a little bit as I feel like I've made a decent amount of progress being that I started again; I thought about being 'evil' but ended up choosing the 'good' path once again as I'd like to see the good ending first. :D

The console itself is actually quite nice, relatively quiet plus it's a lot smaller than the Slim, a bit lighter but the best part is of course the fact that this one works and had better do for a long time. :heh:

Anyway, enough about the machine... inFamous is just, to me... a really solidly enjoyable game, genuinely I can't praise it enough even though I'm well aware that it's not 'perfect' and that I've been informed that the sequel is better but I was just really pleasantly surprised to find that Sucker Punch Productions - to give them their full title - who were originally responsible for the fantastically underrated Rocket robot on wheels for the N64 - which I ended up playing during having no working PS3 - have basically crafted a game that not only has brilliant mechanics/physics along with a wonderful overall 'tone' but that also tells a great story which never takes over yet it does make you engage with the characters at some basic level because they are so... human essentially, by purposely not going for all-out realism it all feels more believable throughout. :smile:

It's just a joy to see a modern developer come along in technological leaps and bounds from their very solid foundation built with Rocket on the N64, through to the Sly Cooper Trilogy on the PS2 - I've ordered the PS3 HD remaster to play through one day - then finally culminating with inFamous on the PS3 plus its sequel which has clearly been their biggest success to date, deservedly so as well I say. :hehe:

I just can't believe that it took me so long to actually get around to playing these wonderful titles, I'm just glad that now I'll at least have a slim - or perhaps 'super-slim' :blush: - chance of finishing inFamous/2/Festival of Blood before the sure to be spectacular inFamous Second Son is released on the PS4 in little over a week. : peace:

This is a genuinely amazing time to be a gamer, I actually can't wait for the greatness which surely awaits in the rest of 2014! :D