NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

I picked it up on the day it launched and played it for a while. Whilst I was really enjoying it I only got to Act 6, not sure how far in that is, before it got relegated to my pile of unfinished games. I really do need to find the time to get back into it.

14 Acts in total so your nearly half way through...Although some of the archives take a long time to get later on. I got most of them in single runs but sometimes it's hard going.

I got a PS3 controller from eBay, and its like yours....very stiff (giggle). I am convinced mine is fake, despite it looking absolutely 100% perfect.

I'm the same....also now I have bought another new one recently I am very aware of how different they are to use, different plastic, weight, very odd.

Yeah, I've double and triple checked mine. It has the right model number, the barcode on the packaging checks out as a legit PS3 controller, but those bloody analog sticks!!

So, I took it apart, and it's a fake, a very well done one, but a fake nonetheless. So the cuntburger who sold it gets negative feedback straight away.

So if you're unsure about whether yours is or not, take the back off and this video will help too.

Do PSN plus auto renew? Wasn't prepared to spend a year's worth of it right now.

Do PSN plus auto renew? Wasn't prepared to spend a year's worth of it right now.
Yeah I remember reading previously in this thread that there's an auto-renew that needs turning off in one of the menu's.

Should be under Account Settings on the vertical menu to the left of the Friends List (can't remember what it's called exactly), if I recall correctly. Same place you can change your avatar.

Thanks. It has been turned off now. It wasn't that though, appearently they just charged me late with Ninokuni. My subscription doesn't end until May. Wouldn't know otherwise hadn't it been for the confusion. Thanks again.

Might interest a few people.

Sony Playstation's Got a New Creative Agency: BBH, New York

Got to say, BBH are generally fantastic. I'd love to work there. Good choice, can't wait to see what they do with the PS4 campaign, and the Vita, too..

Yeah not a bad choice. I assume its because of the whole cloud media aspect. Its a very tough thing to promote but exciting and forward thinking.

PS3 just arrived today. Having that heady new console lust right now. Think I'm going to download Shadow of the Colossus. Already been bossing Wipeout HD and Pixeljunk Shooter. Lots of God of War on the way.

Anything else I absolutely must order immediately? (Okami HD looks appealing...)

I'd recommend looking at PlayStation Plus.

Although if you're looking at buying games: Uncharted 1-3, InFamous 2 (which is part of Plus), Heavy Rain and Journey are good to start with.

Are games on PSPlus for a designated time period only, or are they there indefinitely? Because I'd rather not have the stress of having to play the games in a set time frame, and also having the roster of games available decided for me.

Defs looking into the Uncharted stuff. Should I bother with Drake's Fortune? I heard it kinda drags.

After you've 'purchased' a free PS+ game, you can play or download it whenever you want, as long as you still have a subscription (or if you resubscribe).

The first Uncharted is worth playing to get to know the characters, but it has by far my least favorite gameplay in the series.

Edited by Magnus

What do you think the chances are of seeing Okami HD on Plus? I love the game, but already own it on Wii so couldn't really justify its purchase.

What do you think the chances are of seeing Okami HD on Plus? I love the game, but already own it on Wii so couldn't really justify its purchase.

We've had Resident Evil 5, so it's possible.

Yeah, PS Plus is a good service in general; especially if you're new to the console!

If you're halfway interested in the games on offer, there's no reason to hesitate really. The games you get for free are yours to play whenever your subscription is active (so if you unsubscribe and then decide to re-subscribe later on, the stuff you had previously downloaded while you were subscribed the first time will be yours again for free!)

Games you buy for a discounted price via PS Plus however, are yours to keep forever - even if you unsubscribe completely.

Edited by Dcubed

I suspect we're more in line to get a Plus discount on it at some point rather than it being free.

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending PS+.

It was another factor that made me switch consoles last June and subscribing was one of the first things I did, I haven't looked back. That said, because of it, I have a stack of games on my HDD which I still haven't found time to get to but that's never a bad thing, right?

It was also the reason why I decided to stick a 1TB HDD in the console within three months of owning the thing.

I'm not sure whether we'll see Okami HD on the service anytime soon but I bought it the day it came out (despite already completing it on the Wii) and I haven't regretted it, although it's another one that is currently sitting in my backlog.

Okami HD is worth the money regardless, I would have preferred it if they had released it on disc - launch model NTSC 60GB Hard Drive (won't upgrade) am crai - but even with it's £15 (ish) pricetag and even if you have limited hard-drive space it's still worth it.

If you have the cash and loads of hard drive space to spare then there's definitely no excuse not to. :)

May be a silly question, but how do you connect an external hard drive to consoles such as PS3 and Wii U? It is just by USB? And can you run games straight off them or do you have to copy them to the system first?

@The Bard I'd honestly give both Uncharted 1 and Infamous 1 a look, I got my PS3 last year and they are both really great games, and then will make the sequels even more of a joy to play! You should be able to find them for around £12.50 as well... or check to see if Infamous is cheap on the PSN.

Games I've bought: Uncharted, Uncharted 2, Infamous, Heavy Rain, Journey(PSN), The Unfinished Swan(PSN)

Games I'm looking to buy soon: Uncharted 3, Infamous 2, Shadow of the Colossus(PSN), Pid(PSN)

Okami HD will be incredible (I played the Wii version and it's in my Top 3 games for the console I reckon)

and of course Ni No Kuni is you like your RGP's!

Personally I haven't signed up to PS+ yet, if I wasn't looking for a job I'd be right on it, although I don't think I'd use it for AAA games so to speak, because with those I like to feel I 'have them' and can play them as and when I want. But I'd use it for all the games I sometimes consider buying like Limbo, Resident Evil 5, Vanquish etc...

Edited by Retro_Link

May be a silly question, but how do you connect an external hard drive to consoles such as PS3 and Wii U? It is just by USB? And can you run games straight off them or do you have to copy them to the system first?

External drives on the PS3 connect through USB. they can not be used for installing games but can be used for media, saves and non game stuff. Its worth checking out PS3 media server if you like streaming downloadable media (video, music and pictures) to your tv from your computers and macs without wires.

The internal HDD in the PS3 can be upgraded easily. Any standard 2.5" HDD will work fine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scorpio-5400RPM-Internal-Compatible-Playstation/dp/B005DVJJWQ/

1TB are £61.99 delivered on Amazon.

Personally I haven't signed up to PS+ yet, if I wasn't looking for a job I'd be right on it, although I don't think I'd use it for AAA games so to speak, because with those I like to feel I 'have them' and can play them as and when I want. But I'd use it for all the games I sometimes consider buying like Limbo, Resident Evil 5, Vanquish etc...

Sounds like it will work well. Thats your money back right there.

Edited by Choze