NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Whats wrong with Turtle Beach's?

Depends who you ask. Generally they seem to have a pretty good rep, although the DPX21 will set you back around £100 with the new PX5s falling around £180. Originally I was looking into one of the above or some Astro A40s as I want the built-in microphone.

Sony make great headphones so you'd hope the headset will be decent, and if they're closer to the £75 mark then all the better. I'll wait until people have tried them out, though.

For what it's worth I'm more inclined to go with virtual surround than 'real' 5.1 headsets. I bought some Tritton AX Pros and found the audio left a lot to be desired, my ageing Sony infra-red headphones providing a much warmer, natural sound; the Trittons had a certain tinny artificiality to the sound separation, as well as some distortion.

Ah fair enough. I've got the....PX21's and they're brilliant. Although they were "only" about £60-70, which is still extortionate but a good investment.

Hmm, according to the product page the Sony headset requires "system software version 3.70 or later." Not that odd, but also "urround Sound does not work with Blu-ray Disc movies" which is a bit of a gyp.

Seems the PS3 itself will be handling the virtualisation, and only when playing games or (presumably) viewing videos via the XMB; when spinning Blu-rays the machine boots into a different mode, so I imagine that's the cause of the limitation. As such I think it'll be worth spending more on a general use headset rather than one tied to a single device.

I thought the older PS3's (the non-PS2-backwards-compatible-ones) were NOT that likely to get YLOD?

:(

Fuck Sony. What the hell do I do? I don't have to pay to get this fixed do I? Cos' that'd be horse shit. I expected this console to last a decade like they basically said it would.

Having looked into it, Sony don't do shit, costs (£128?) for a repair. Great. Uncharted 2 is stuck in the console too. So. :/

Shall I get a slim (not that I can afford it, so I don't know how) (my sister owes me £1000 but she doesn't have a full time job yet. Hmmm) and just re-buy Uncharted, or break/unscrew open my PS3...can you get the disk out that way?

I don't know if it'll be of any use to you, but have you heard of the "hair dryer fix"? Apparently it 'fixes' the ylod... or at least for a short amount of time. Long enough to get your uncharted out anyway.

I'm not 100% sure of the details, but its got something to do with having a hair dryer blow into the ps3 for x amount of time. There's quite a bit on youtube/google about it.

Interesting. I'd seen a couple of videos on Youtube and they both mentioned the hairdrier technique doesn't work. I'll have a specific look for that, as it'd be easier than unscrewing.

Also I'm pretty (insanely) lucky. I explained to Claire what had happened with the PS3 and she was like "Lame, we'll have to get a new one when we get back" (from Spain) and I was like "...........I'm not getting a new one yet" and she was like "Yeah, I'll get it. We need something to play Blu-Rays on". God bless Disney BluRays.

PSN "fully restored" by end of week

The PlayStation Network will be full restored in the Americas, Europe, PAL regions and Asia by the end of this week, Sony has announced.

Returning are:

Full functionality on PlayStation Store

In-game commerce

Ability to redeem vouchers and codes

Full functionality on Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3, PSP, VAIO and other PCs

Full functionality on Media Go

The "end of week" deadline excludes Japan, Hong Kong and South Korea. Whether the end of the week means Sunday or Friday, Sony hasn't said.

"We have been conducting additional testing and further security verification of our commerce functions in order to bring the PlayStation Network completely back online so that our fans can again enjoy the first class entertainment experience they have come to love," commented Kaz Hirai, executive deputy president of the entire Sony empire - and boss of Sony Computer Entertainment.

"We appreciate the patience and support shown during this time."

Sony will offer all PlayStation Network and Qriocity members Welcome Back gifts. This entails a choice of two free PS3 games, as well as a free month of PlayStation Plus for non-Plus members and two months' free for existing Plus subs.

A spokesperson for Sony Japan aired an "end of May" target for a full PSN restoration at the start of the month.

PlayStation Network went down on 20th April.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-31-psn-fully-restored-by-end-of-week

Sunday it is then. I hope BG&E is there when the store gets back up.

LulzSec: "We're hacking Sony right now"

The group that claimed responsibility for last week's PBS website hack has claimed it is hacking Sony right now – and stealing "internal" information.

"Hey @Sony, you know we're making off with a bunch of your internal stuff right now and you haven't even noticed? Slow and steady, guys" reads a tweet published by the hackers this morning.

LulzSec, as the group is known, threatened Sony with what it describes as an "operation".

"This is the beginning of the end for Sony," it said on Twitter.

Then, "(Sony + Ownage) Phase 1 will begin within the next day. We may have a pre-game show for you folks though. Stay tuned."

LulzSec has already hacked the PBS website, posting a report that deceased rapper Tupac Shakur is "alive and well" in New Zealand, along with Biggie Smalls, aka The Notorious BIG.

It is also reportedly responsible for the hacks on Sony BMG's Japanese website.

Sony said this morning that it will fully restore PlayStation Network services by the end of the week.

Sony took PSN offline on 20th April following a hack that saw personal information tied to 77 million accounts compromised.

Sony is working with the FBI to track down those responsible.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-31-lulzsec-were-hacking-sony-right-now

FFS!

Anyone know if the store is back up?

It will be back up by the end of this week.

Sunday it is then. I hope BG&E is there when the store gets back up.

I had totally forgotten about BG&E! This is a problem so many titles are gonna get lost amongest it all...

Srsly, why?

Isn't all of this part of a some dumb wider sony hatred as well as anonymous' attacks though? Stupid either way.

Isn't all of this part of a some dumb wider sony hatred as well as anonymous' attacks though? Stupid either way.

Sony hatred is the dumbest thing ever. They entertain me. Compared to companies like BP they are saintly.

I hate stupid people.

This is what happens when you try to prevent piracy, it seems.

I wonder how they would react if Apple ever tried to implement the Over-The-Air updates that completely reset jailbroken phones thing that they patented.

Sony release the more open console of the two and sue a guy who released trade secrets = Harassed and hacked to death... All in the name of destroying multiplayer :(

Hmm, just went on an old gmail account and found a registration e-mail for the PSN that I apparently received 2 hours ago. I compared it to my old legit registration e-mail and it's extremely close, they may have changed the email since I joined, the mailed-by address matches.

The header is a bit different though, my old one says:

Received: from sdknav-mx2.ac.playstation.net (sdknav-mx2.ac.playstation.net [199.108.4.53])

by mx.google.com with ESMTP id g31si24778912rvb.26.2009.08.19.04.32.16;

Wed, 19 Aug 2009 04:32:17 -0700 (PDT)

And the new one:

Received: from lvp-sys-prdmx03.sonynei.net (mx3.sonynei.net [173.230.215.35])

by mx.google.com with ESMTP id f8si1056619icy.54.2011.05.31.13.07.57;

Tue, 31 May 2011 13:07:58 -0700 (PDT)

Again, not sure if it's because of the recent change.

Going to report it to Sony anyway, but I was wondering if anyone knows if it's fake or not.

errrr....did PSN just go down again? I got disconnected on ps3 and now can't get back on and also can't sign in via playstation blog?!

EDIT:

Meh signed back in now.

Edited by flameboy

Right, so in a week or two I'll be getting a new PS3. What do I need to do regarding....erm...PSN/Welcome Package/If anything?

Assuming the welcome back thing has started and is still running in 2 weeks (I'm sure it will be) I'm pretty sure all you'll need to do is login to PSN on your new PS3, and it'll let you download your pick of games.

If you have to you can just sign into a friend's PS3, 'purchase' the free stuff so it registers on your account, and then download it on you new PS3 whenever.

I think the welcome back thing was 30 days.

30 days what? But the store still isn't back up yet anyway....