NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Ok I have a technical question... kind of. So, I haven't played anything on my PS3 in a bit and finally updated it to 3.01 as I just kept forgetting to do so. But the update itself took over 5 minutes to download and install and I highly doubt the update was that big. So after that wait, I headed to the PS Store as I was wanting to give the Uncharted 2 beta/demo thing a try but it said I'd have to wait 90 minutes for it to download. Is this an issue with my internet connection or the PS3 (I'm using the wireless)? I ask because I've downloaded games that are twice the size across my internet connect for the 360 and it took nowhere near that (10/15 minutes) and I've had to download and install updates of roughly the same size as the Uncharted 2 thing on my laptop across wireless and again, it takes nowhere near that long. So yeh, is it the console's wireless or mine that is at fault here?

Wiring my PS3 to the internet really isn't an option which is why I'm using the wireless.

My PS3 is horrendously slow, as is my PSP. The PS3 is wired in so I assume its a PSN issue - all my other stuff works fine.

It's very very annoying, I'd love to know if there's anything that can speed it up a bit.

Ok I have a technical question... kind of. So, I haven't played anything on my PS3 in a bit and finally updated it to 3.01 as I just kept forgetting to do so. But the update itself took over 5 minutes to download and install and I highly doubt the update was that big. So after that wait, I headed to the PS Store as I was wanting to give the Uncharted 2 beta/demo thing a try but it said I'd have to wait 90 minutes for it to download. Is this an issue with my internet connection or the PS3 (I'm using the wireless)? I ask because I've downloaded games that are twice the size across my internet connect for the 360 and it took nowhere near that (10/15 minutes) and I've had to download and install updates of roughly the same size as the Uncharted 2 thing on my laptop across wireless and again, it takes nowhere near that long. So yeh, is it the console's wireless or mine that is at fault here?

Wiring my PS3 to the internet really isn't an option which is why I'm using the wireless.

In a good wireless situation you should be maxing out your connection. You could just be unlucky as wireless is not an exact science.

I download at almost the same speed on my PS3 as my 360.

Try doing an internet speed test on the PS3. It's in the settings menu.

The PSN used to be slow for me, until the recent update, but yes I think it's to do with the PSN tbf because XBL is a lot quicker in my experience, but as I say, the recent update has improved things a lot.

So I'm looking to get a PS3 Bundle since my birthday is coming up on Sunday. I just need to have peoples opinions which is the best bundle for £250 from a big name retailer preferably as i would rather not take risks.

Hard to recommend one in particular. You have alot of choice and some places also bundle blu ray movies or accessories.

Amazon do this for the 120gb(1 game, hdmi) £245: http://tinyurl.com/yk2ad2x

for abit more: 250gb(3 games, hdmi) £285: http://tinyurl.com/yhzdv2u

Bear in mind you now also have the 250gb slim but its usually sold with free games for about £285.

Edited by Choze

What's physically between the console and the router?

What's physically between the console and the router?

yeah that does cause problems...my PS3 is on a different floor to the router and as stupid as it sounds if doors are shut my signal strength deeps significantly.

The only thing between the console and the router is my bedroom floor. My PS3 is positioned directly above the router, only on a different floor.

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys. I'll have a look at my connection speed on my PS3 but I honestly don't think it's my connection as all my other devices running off of it in the same room all run at high speed.

Comet Crash is really ace. It reminds me of Chu Chu Rocket actually.

I have always said my ps3 downloads slower than my 360 and they were both wireless.

However both my consoles are now wired.

From the speed test on my ps3 i was amazed at the difference.

PS3 Wireless: Connected at 2MB

PS3 Wired: Connected at 10MB

Wireless is only 2 metres at most apart and nothing in the way. I was amazed at the difference.

My PS3 is about 5/6 metres away from my router. There's a wall in the way.

Awesome, LoveFILM have sent me Overlord II. Can't wait to give it a try.

I have to say, I think Overlord games are abysmal. If I was going to go for a game in a similar genre I'd rent Brutal Legend.

Similar genre? They're pretty different.

I've always heard generally good things about Overlord and 2 apparently is just a better version than 1. Plus, any game with seal pup clubbing gets a thumbs up from me.

Also, been playing InFamous and well...yeah, got bored. I liked doing missions every now and again but then after I'd done one I'd have to stop playing. Shame really because the mechanics are quite fun when you power up a bit. It's just missing something.

Edited by Daft

Hmmm I think graphically and in jokey terms the two are fairly similar, they're both about fighting weird creatures. Same perspective in both.

You're right about Infamous missing something but I'd take it over Lord every day. The demo became dull so quickly, just poking your thumb around with the occasional press of the attack button. MEH.

Well I guess we'll see. I know it can't be as bad as Call Of Juarez.

InFamous had pretty crap characters. Cole is incredibly bland. Some better periphery characters would have been nice. I kind of feel removed from the world.

Also, a strange suggestion, the need to recharge all the time is a bit of a momentum breaker. I'm wondering if it would have been better to change the ammo system. Maybe so you'd only need to be in close proximity for something to charge up.

Yeah the game was just a bit off in some areas. Not once did I ever give a crap about the people or story.

Why do you choose to rent the bad games?

I've only ever heard good things about the Overlord series...yeah sure it has its flaws but what game doesn't?!

Well yeah a friend liked it which I couldn't understand, but each to his own.

As for faults, well don't we judge games on faults sometimes. If the core of the game is bad then it's a bad game.

Why do you choose to rent the bad games?

Games I've rented in the past 6 months.

inFamous - Dissapointing. In progress...

Call Of Juarez: Bound In Blood - Awful. Not completed.

Bionic Commando - Fun for a rent. Not completed.

Ghostbusters - Fun for a rent. Completed.

Red Faction: Guerrilla - Awesome game. Completed.

Prototype - Fun for a rent. Completed.

Terminator: Salvation - I enjoyed this. Completed.

Alone in the Dark: Inferno - Abysmal. Controls made me give up.

Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard - Just crap.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Uncaged Edition - Stunning. Completed.

Tom Clancy's HAWX - Good.

LEGO Batman: The Videogame - Good.

Street Fighter IV - Not my cup of tea.

Call of Duty: World at War - Good. Completed.

Resident Evil 5 - Avoiding the obvious, good. Had awesome co-op fun. Completed.

Prince of Persia - Excellent. Stupid ending. Completed.

I only regret renting two of those games.

Man, I saved a lot of money.

Edit: Before that...

The House of the Dead: Overkill - Excellent rent. Completed and sent it back same day.

Tomb Raider: Underworld - Really disappointing. Legends was excellent. Not completed.

Far Cry 2 - Amazingly dull. Not completed.

Resistance 2 - Thoroughly enjoyed. Completed.

Mirror's Edge - Horrendous. Completed.

Fracture - Kind of cool. Novelty wore off. Not completed.

Blacksite - Shit.

The Darkness - Meh.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Another perfect rental. Completed.

And that completed ONE YEAR of LoveFILM. Damn, I saved a bomb.

Edited by Daft

Games I've rented in the past 6 months.

inFamous - Dissapointing. In progress...

Call Of Juarez: Bound In Blood - Awful. Not completed.

Bionic Commando - Fun for a rent. Not completed.

Ghostbusters - Fun for a rent. Completed.

Red Faction: Guerrilla - Awesome game. Completed.

Prototype - Fun for a rent. Completed.

Terminator: Salvation - I enjoyed this. Completed.

Alone in the Dark: Inferno - Abysmal. Controls made me give up.

Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard - Just crap.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Uncaged Edition - Stunning. Completed.

Tom Clancy's HAWX - Good.

LEGO Batman: The Videogame - Good.

Street Fighter IV - Not my cup of tea.

Call of Duty: World at War - Good. Completed.

Resident Evil 5 - Avoiding the obvious, good. Had awesome co-op fun. Completed.

Prince of Persia - Excellent. Stupid ending. Completed.

I only regret renting two of those games.

Man, I saved a lot of money.

Edit: Before that...

The House of the Dead: Overkill - Excellent rent. Completed and sent it back same day.

Tomb Raider: Underworld - Really disappointing. Legends was excellent. Not completed.

Far Cry 2 - Amazingly dull. Not completed.

Resistance 2 - Thoroughly enjoyed. Completed.

Mirror's Edge - Horrendous. Completed.

Fracture - Kind of cool. Novelty wore off. Not completed.

Blacksite - Shit.

The Darkness - Meh.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Another perfect rental. Completed.

And that completed ONE YEAR of LoveFILM. Damn, I saved a bomb.

Blimey you have saved a fortune...if I get over actually wanting to own things and collect then maybe one day renting will be my main means of obtaining games...

Blimey you have saved a fortune...if I get over actually wanting to own things and collect then maybe one day renting will be my main means of obtaining games...

Yeah, I used to be like that but I realised that the amount of games that just sit there doing nothing after I've completed them or got bored is absurd. I still buy games I really look forward to, like Uncharted, but things I'm borderline I just rent.

I can't buy second hand games. Just one of my neurosis.

End of the day, I couldn't afford to do it any other way. Also, I rent Blu Ray films as well which totally makes it worth it. I've watched about 3 DVDs since I got LoveFILM. HD all the way and since Blu Ray prices are still stupidly high in shops this is the only way to do it as far as I'm concerned.

See I'm different the games I am borderline on just don't get bought...I always say I will go back to them but never do...

We all have our preferences. Most games I won't sell because I know that I regret it most of the time. Just having it there in the collection, fitting snug in the corner is just reassuring.

If it's a game like Infamous where I think I can get what I want out of it in a short period of time, I'll try to sell on for profit. The private trades board here is quite useful for that.

If it's a game like Fallout 3 then temptation gets the better of me and I pay full price, partly because it's just so awesome but also because you get that new game smell (which I swear was more prominent with the Fallout 3 manual - although that could've been the waft of expectation and having an inkling that it would be quite an epic experience.)

Renting is a good idea, but I can't guarentee monthly income as of now. Plus games like Fracture and Tomb Raider are games I can really go without, I really couldn't care less aout them. You may have the odd hidden gem that strikes a chord with you, in Daft's case it's XMO: Wolverine, though if I don't know what I'm missing out on then it doesn't matter too much.

We all have our preferences. Most games I won't sell because I know that I regret it most of the time. Just having it there in the collection, fitting snug in the corner is just reassuring.

If it's a game like Infamous where I think I can get what I want out of it in a short period of time, I'll try to sell on for profit. The private trades board here is quite useful for that.

If it's a game like Fallout 3 then temptation gets the better of me and I pay full price, partly because it's just so awesome but also because you get that new game smell (which I swear was more prominent with the Fallout 3 manual - although that could've been the waft of expectation and having an inkling that it would be quite an epic experience.)

Renting is a good idea, but I can't guarentee monthly income as of now. Plus games like Fracture and Tomb Raider are games I can really go without, I really couldn't care less aout them. You may have the odd hidden gem that strikes a chord with you, in Daft's case it's XMO: Wolverine, though if I don't know what I'm missing out on then it doesn't matter too much.

Same here thats why I've spent the last month building up my megadrive collection after it got sold when I was 16, regretted it ever since.

I don't get how you have enough time to play them. That's why renting isn't a problem for me, I just don't have enough time to linger on titles.