NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Hi Flamey, some help pray?

Basically atm I've just formatted my PS3 HDD to Fat-32, it's in the external case and I'm now backing up the data onto it. So I started looking around for the steps I need to take after this and got a bit confused.

I thought that once this thing was backed up, because this external drive is the drive I'm putting in the PS3 (obviously without the case so it isn't external) I wouldn't need to worry about anything else in terms of backing stuff up.

Then I read this:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=4051380

and that guys advice has just confused me... :(

Basically atm I've just formatted my PS3 HDD to Fat-32, it's in the external case and I'm now backing up the data onto it. So I started looking around for the steps I need to take after this and got a bit confused.

I thought that once this thing was backed up, because this external drive is the drive I'm putting in the PS3 (obviously without the case so it isn't external) I wouldn't need to worry about anything else in terms of backing stuff up.

Then I read this:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=4051380

DO not complicate things. Just backup. Install new harddrive and then run restore.

Then I read this:

no think you've kinda done it the wrong way round sort of...I backed up my drive to a seperate external drive and then put my new empty drive into PS3 and used to data on the external drive to transfer the backup stuff onto the new drive...not sure if it can boot the back up data from the ps3's drive itself...

DO not complicate things. Just backup. Install new harddrive and then run restore.

So it's all backed up on the external thing, now I take the HDD out of the enclosure, install it into the PS3 and then when I turn it on it will give me the option to restore onto the system and I will then have everything set out like normal, but with more space?

Wah!? I swear I only needed this enclosure and the new HDD...

So it's all backed up on the external thing, now I take the HDD out of the enclosure, install it into the PS3 and then when I turn it on it will give me the option to restore onto the system and I will then have everything set out like normal, but with more space?

Wah!? I swear I only needed this enclosure and the new HDD...

Your external thing stays seperate as thats your backup. Put your new HDD in the PS3. Then restore using the external hdd.

I got in the beta!

Will try and start the download process now (been in work). Although i dont remember signing up for anything... unless i did and forgot.

resume patch for MAG should hopefully be ready tomorrow. I think for feedback use the forum they emailed.they will do a questionnaire at the end anyway.

I got in the beta!

Will try and start the download process now (been in work). Although i dont remember signing up for anything... unless i did and forgot.

WHAT?! I defo signed up and didnt get in GRRR

WHAT?! I defo signed up and didnt get in GRRR

Well im assuming i did otherwise i wouldn't of got in?

I really can't remember it though!?

Sony's best confirmed for EG Expo Blog

22nd 2009 Sony's biggest PlayStation 3 exclusives are coming to the Eurogamer Expo this October. You're worth it. We know no game show is complete without a big platform-holder performance which, in Sony's case, involves a floor packed with living room-like pods sporting huge Bravia televisions - not to mention the games, which amount to a great line-up.

Why? Well, what about a chance to try out MAG, the enormous, 256-player online shooter? Set for spring 2010, the only way to try this at the moment is via an elusive online beta with limited spaces and play times. There's none of that at the EG Expo, although you may be savaged by a pack of hungry gamers for spending all day at the controls.

Still not convinced? Then consider actually playing God of War 3, which only a few people in the world have done to date. This huge PS3 exclusive doesn't even arrive until next March. Series creator David Jaffe was "blown away" by Kratos' next-gen debut, and now it's your turn to be.

No? Try Heavy Rain for size, we've certainly banged on about it enough. That's because Quantic Dream's creation is important not only for PS3, but for videogames in general, as the public and critics struggle to take the medium seriously as a sophisticated storytelling device.

Yet maybe the most striking and fun of Sony's PS3 goodies will be Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time. There's no blood, no controversial content, no agenda, no chest-puffing - but since when was all that necessary? Tools of Destruction looked brilliant and packed fun and frantic gameplay. Insomniac's sticking to a well-trodden and winning formula with the sequel, and is a practiced hand and delivering outstanding PS3 experiences. Do not underestimate.

Last but by no means least is Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. Naughty Dog's mouth-watering sequel oozes blockbuster charm, and is expected to land big honours in the coming months.

The Eurogamer Expo 2009 heads to Leeds and London this year, starting up north on 27th and 28th October, before heading to the capital on 30th and 31st October. Tickets are a paltry £6 a day and selling fast. Buy yours now from the EG Expo site, which has lots more information to absorb.

Pretty cool that GoW3, MAG and Heavy Rain....I'll be straight to the GoW3 and Heavy Rain queues...

Any of the PS3 N-E crew going to the Leeds expo?

Pretty cool that GoW3, MAG and Heavy Rain....I'll be straight to the GoW3 and Heavy Rain queues...

Screw leeds, i'll be going to the London one if I can help it.

OH and apparently, there is a huge leakage on Sony's plans for the upcoming months here.

Edited by Deathjam

Just bought Tickets for the Expo in Leeds! And got the piss taken out of me by my wife! I am now officially a 'Geek' *shrug*

I was going to take my Daughter, but she is only five and you have to be at least 15 to attend. Understandable really because nobody wants kids running around.

Just bought Tickets for the Expo in Leeds! And got the piss taken out of me by my wife! I am now officially a 'Geek' *shrug*

I was going to take my Daughter, but she is only five and you have to be at least 15 to attend. Understandable really because nobody wants kids running around.

What day u both going? I'm considering going. Might be worth trying to meet up together?

What day u both going? I'm considering going. Might be worth trying to meet up together?

First day, on a Tuesday I think.

Your external thing stays seperate as thats your backup. Put your new HDD in the PS3. Then restore using the external hdd.

That doesn't make sense to me. Can someone clear this up?

Cooky told me that instead of buying an external hard-drive (of similar size to my current system i.e 40gb) AS WELL AS a new bigger HDD, all I had to do was buy an enclosure for my 250GB HDD.

So what I've done is stuck the 250GB HDD in the enclosure, connected to the ps3 and backed the ps3 data onto it. Now what I want to know is if all I do now is replace my 40gb HDD that's in the system with the 250gb one.

I am confused.

That doesn't make sense to me. Can someone clear this up?

Cooky told me that instead of buying an external hard-drive (of similar size to my current system i.e 40gb) AS WELL AS a new bigger HDD, all I had to do was buy an enclosure for my 250GB HDD.

So what I've done is stuck the 250GB HDD in the enclosure, connected to the ps3 and backed the ps3 data onto it. Now what I want to know is if all I do now is replace my 40gb HDD that's in the system with the 250gb one.

I am confused.

Dwarf you muppet.

You need to be in possesion of THREE hard drives. The 40g in your PS3, the 250g you have just bought, and one you will be using to back up your HDD.

Back up your 40g onto the third HDD, remove 40g from PS3, insert 250g into PS3, transfer files from the third HDD onto your newly installed 250g.

First day, on a Tuesday I think.

It's on Thursday and Friday I think...I'm going on both days, got myself a press pass! Doesn't amount to much just an area to charge laptops and get internet...am planning on filming stuff whilst there for The Lethargic Gamers Show if you interested in taking part?

Basically first thing Thursday I'm gonna make a beeline for all the stuff thats not realised until next year and get that all done and played as much as I can, cos the queues could get annoying...

I swear Cooky said I didn't need to do that.

Is there a way I can load the data from the 250gb onto my computer, then when I swap the harddrive i put the computer data onto the 40gb and then upload?

It's on Thursday and Friday I think...I'm going on both days, got myself a press pass! Doesn't amount to much just an area to charge laptops and get internet...am planning on filming stuff whilst there for The Lethargic Gamers Show if you interested in taking part?

Basically first thing Thursday I'm gonna make a beeline for all the stuff thats not realised until next year and get that all done and played as much as I can, cos the queues could get annoying...

Nah mate its on a Tuesday and Wednesday in Leeds (27th and 28th) then Friday and Saturday in London (30th and 31st)

Is there a way I can load the data from the 250gb onto my computer, then when I swap the harddrive i put the computer data onto the 40gb and then upload?

Can't see why not, I'm going to use a USB stick to back up my save files that I want to keep. And just re-download any games/patches/updated.

your computer should read the files I remember afterwards plugging my external drive in and it had folders on it relating to the PS3 not that any of it made any sense...guess it would work but I wouldn't want to say for sure just in case the transfer to PC does anything to the files..

So should I follow the advice in that link I posted? Because I think that's what he suggested, backing it up, putting on PC and then transferring again... Fookin complicated.

Are you all saying that atm the data on the 250GB is useless because it won't be recognised or used if I just bung it in the system? Seems weird, seeing as you're basically uploading the same stuff onto again but just from a different HDD.