NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Yes Asia - £35

Play Asia - £30.50

Both places are very reliable and I've used them both a lot never having a problem. Postage isn't too bad' date=' when I got mine before Christmas I had it in my hands for under £30.[/quote']

Play-Asia don't ship Sony items to Europe anymore because of the horror of what happened to Lik-sang!

They're weird, when I got my dual shock before christmas yes asia was cheaper so I never looked at Play Asia for it, didn't realise they wouldn't send it.

They do send some Sony stuff here though, I've had 2 packages from them this week and one on the way that is Sony bits. They seem to have selective non-sending which is strange.

My USA 60GB PS3 has finally arrived! :yay:

Haven't opened it yet but I'll no doubt be posting here again once I've confirmed it's working etc. :smile:

*sigh* well I set it up and it works (yay etc) but certain people within my household are concerned about the voltage of the console and want me to refrain from using it until they've checked out the lead and the voltage etc properly... >>'

I've tried telling them but meh *shrugs* :indeed: all I know is that the console is 120V and the UK lead (as well as the US one that comes in the box as standard) it came with has a range of 10V -250V which is the one that the guy I bought it off had been using with it for over a year so I would assume that if it wasn't supposed to work with it then the PS3 wouldn't be working now. :heh:

Anyone got any helpful information regarding the voltage? Dom, you've been using a USA PS3 for a good while now on a UK adaptor and you've had no problems I assume? if so, what lead do you use with yours?

Meh either way I won't be playing with it today lol nvm at least I have it now ^^ *goes back to playing on 360 for the time being*

You can use a 5amp kettle plug and it works fine. That's what i am doing, the actual PSU in the system is takes both 120 and 240 intakes, even though it says on the outside it's 120.

Yeah the PS3 has a universal power supply so it just works out what your putting into it and converts it to the right DC voltage for the machine to run. Its not like the older machines where the power needed to be taken down before going in. It'll work just fine, what are the people in your house going to do to check the voltage though?

Ah cool, thanks Dom, Will' :smile: they just want to check the lead and the console to see it for themselves thats all but now that I know it's the console that does the voltage converting all should be fine.

I'll probably still have to wait until tomorrow until I properly test it but heh I'm just glad I've got it tbh. :D Ninja Gaiden Sigma arrived in the post today too so will probably play that tomorrow but for now... *goes back to playing PGR4 on 360*

*edit*

The sixaxis that comes with the console is so light it's a joke :S is the new dualshock 3 significantly weightier than all previous PS3 pads? if so I may purchase one because I don't think I'll be able to play comfortably with the pad as it is, not after using a 360 pad for so long. :heh:

I hate how they changed the L2 and R2 buttons though by making them triggers, just does not feel right :(

I hate how they changed the L2 and R2 buttons though by making them triggers, just does not feel right :(

I like that, what I don't like is that they feel so flimsy like I'm going to break them if I press them too hard.

I have to say out of all the controllers from Sony I prefer this generation it feels more comfortable I have forever hated dualshocks but have become converted.

The Motorstorm 2 video has supposadely been embargoed till Wednesday March 12th 2008, which is next week!

I smell bullshit, but hopefully i'm proved wrong and it's shown on jeuxvideos next week.

The Motorstorm 2 video has supposadely been embargoed till Wednesday March 12th 2008, which is next week!

I smell bullshit, but hopefully i'm proved wrong and it's shown on jeuxvideos next week.

yeah...its been built up and then doesnt appeal seems odd.

Whats the dual shock 3 do then......!?

Same as the standard sixaxis controller but with rumble and it has more weight to it (some people dont like how light the sixaxis controller feels). I ordered myself one this morning off ebay.

On a different note another question from me:

Whats the best option to select for the DVD upscaler on the PS3. I find it quite fague what the difference is between them.

Full screen for me. Just means videos that are 4:3 will be stretched.

I have set mine to full screen. Tried a DVD and it works fine.

Once again, cheers Caris!

Hmm seems I'm gonna need to wait another day before properly playing with my American PS3, gonna get a step-up converter for it just to be on the safe side so that I know that it's at the correct voltage. :smile:

S'ok though, still got loads of 360 games to play lol but I'm still looking forward to having a blast on Ninja Gaiden Sigma. :heh:

Mate you don't need one honest. The worst that can happen is the fuse goes in the plug. Which it won't anyways.

I know but there are other people in my household who are concerned about the possibility of it spontaneously combusting :indeed: I should be able to get one for free though so it's no big deal hopefully, sooner it's sorted, the sooner I can forget about it and play the machine. :smile:

I only mainly wanted it for MGS4 but well, I know there will be a few PS2 games that I will want to play and I want to play them on the version of the machine that reportedly has the best backwards compatability out of the various models, otherwise I would have just waited for the Pal MGS4 bundle but now I have it I'm just glad I've got one. :D

Seriously though, I'm so gonna get one of those Dual Shock III pads, I haven't even played the console yet and I know the pad is already annoyingly light, just held a Wii remote with no batteries in one hand and the sixaxis in the other and quite honestly, theres not much difference in weight. :blank:

Full screen for me. Just means videos that are 4:3 will be stretched.

I have mine set to double scale what is the difference.

S.C.G, A step down converter is likely to be much lower quality than the one in the PS3 and hence much more likely to combust than the PS3. By adding an extra bit your only adding to the list of things that can go wrong rather than making it safer. Still, people who don't know about this kind of stuff like to make you do silly things.

flameboy, its just the level of upscaling the machine will be doing. I'm not 100% sure as I don't have a PS3 to look at the options. Basically you want it as high as your TV can accept for widescreen DVD's but normal for 4:3 stuff as it will stretch the image otherwise.

Hmm surely though if it does auto adjust the voltage and the converter is set to the same voltage then it will essentially be like a pass-through anyway so it shouldn't matter?

Personally I want to run it without a step down and am only going to be doing so to ease other peoples minds who live in the same household. :indeed:

Is there any official confirmation from Sony anywhere that the US PS3 60GB model has a universal power supply and thus no need for a seperate converter? if there is offical confirmation then that would make things a heck of a lot simpler, thanks. :smile: