NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Having transferred data between HDDs and between consoles I can tell you from experience: No matter how you go about it, it's a pain in the arse.

In comparison, transferring data between my iPhones was a joy...but obviously there is a distinct difference in the size of data being transported.

Now I have completed the PS3 system transfer. I deleted some games and demos, because I was worried it would take a whole day if I transferred all 80 GB. So I only transferred around 40 GB, and was amazed it only took one and a half hour.

Everything seems to have been transferred or copied. The purchased downloaded games all works after I activated the new console in 'System Activation', the friends are there, all the messages, themes, and most of the console settings.

But, one big problem. Of the 40 GB I deleted before transferring, was two free games I chose after last year's PSN outage, Infamous and Little Big Planet. I redownloaded them, and tried to install them, only to see the message:

"You can use this content on a PSP system.

Do you want to copy it to a PSP system?"

This is unsettling. What do I do now?

Did you re-download the ones that were in your PSN purchase/download history? To be honest, I believe you must have as I don't think they are up on psn to be downloaded the original way.

If deleting and re downloading doesn't work, you may want to phone Sony as their playstation help service is generally nice and actually helpful!.

Also, if you are a PSN+ member, then you surely had access to the sequels which are better games.

Did you re-download the ones that were in your PSN purchase/download history? To be honest, I believe you must have as I don't think they are up on psn to be downloaded the original way.

If deleting and re downloading doesn't work, you may want to phone Sony as their playstation help service is generally nice and actually helpful!.

Also, if you are a PSN+ member, then you surely had access to the sequels which are better games.

I searched for Little Big Planet, and downloaded not through 'download history'. But the game's in-store page showed the 'purchased'-icon, so I was able to download.

Infamous were nowhere to be found in the store! Really! I just found its sequels, and a bundle with all three games. I searched, using the new store's instant search, of course, wrote INF, and all but the original Infamous was listed. So I had to find it manually in the download history! That took way too long time for my taste.

So, one game downloaded through its store page, one through download history. Neither work, both giving the same message, without any error code.

I do not have PS+.

I will try see if they have a phone number here in Norway.

Some impressions in points regarding the new store.

• Do not like the new boot up time for the store. Takes 10x longer.
  • Its more organised but i could not find a few games without using search.
  • No dedicated Blu ray game section?
  • Search is superior now as it will list what is on the store, but lack of keyboard is odd.
  • Speed is fine once booted up but you can not just keep a direction button pressed for really fast browsing like the old store.
  • L1 and R1 are put to good use. Helps with browsing quickly. Something the old store lacked.
  • Triangle moves you to top/filter or the menu which is handy.
  • Filters are cool and useful.
  • No idea what Square button does now?
  • How do you cancel pre order games with this store?
  • Entering codes is more streamlined.
  • Easier to see and read (black background, white text, larger font and icons)

Its an interesting update for sure. Needs some work but it was better than i expected reading first impressions.

Some impressions in points regarding the new store.

• Do not like the new boot up time for the store. Takes 10x longer.
  • Its more organised but i could not find a few games without using search.
  • No dedicated Blu ray game section?
  • Search is superior now as it will list what is on the store, but lack of keyboard is odd.
  • Speed is fine once booted up but you can not just keep a direction button pressed for really fast browsing like the old store.
  • L1 and R1 are put to good use. Helps with browsing quickly. Something the old store lacked.
  • Triangle moves you to top/filter or the menu which is handy.
  • Filters are cool and useful.
  • No idea what Square button does now?
  • How do you cancel pre order games with this store?
  • Entering codes is more streamlined.
  • Easier to see and read (black background, white text, larger font and icons)

Its an interesting update for sure. Needs some work but it was better than i expected reading first impressions.

If it's anything like the previous store you can't and they take out the money straight up....that's what it was like with Payday The Heist, I preordered it to play during last years extra lifes and it got delayed by weeks and weeks so I emailed them to ask how to cancel it and they said this facility was not available.

I still can't update the store, it asks me up to download the update and I get an error message. Anyone else getting this?

New store is OK, but I'm used to the original now (and never really found any problem with it in the first place), so took a quick getting used to. It's alright, wouldn't say it was greatly improved or anything though.

I really like the new store. It just looks much nicer and makes more sense. Having said that I'm a little confused by whether I've bought stuff or not. Also, I only opened it once and if it takes that long to load every time then that's kind of annoying.

I'm sure they'll iron out the kinks over time.

The initial load is slower, but after that it's fine. The old one lagged so much it was nearly unusable.

Congrats if you guessed it was a Playstation All Stars Trailer.

Pretty impressive though!

Now I have completed the PS3 system transfer. I deleted some games and demos, because I was worried it would take a whole day if I transferred all 80 GB. So I only transferred around 40 GB, and was amazed it only took one and a half hour.

Everything seems to have been transferred or copied. The purchased downloaded games all works after I activated the new console in 'System Activation', the friends are there, all the messages, themes, and most of the console settings.

But, one big problem. Of the 40 GB I deleted before transferring, was two free games I chose after last year's PSN outage, Infamous and Little Big Planet. I redownloaded them, and tried to install them, only to see the message:

"You can use this content on a PSP system.

Do you want to copy it to a PSP system?"

This is unsettling. What do I do now?

I searched for Little Big Planet, and downloaded not through 'download history'. But the game's in-store page showed the 'purchased'-icon, so I was able to download.

Infamous were nowhere to be found in the store! Really! I just found its sequels, and a bundle with all three games. I searched, using the new store's instant search, of course, wrote INF, and all but the original Infamous was listed. So I had to find it manually in the download history! That took way too long time for my taste.

So, one game downloaded through its store page, one through download history. Neither work, both giving the same message, without any error code.

I do not have PS+.

I will try see if they have a phone number here in Norway.

It finally worked. But it only worked when starting downloads through "Account Management" > "Transaction Management" > "Download List".

So why is there a "View Downloads"/"My Downloads" in the PlayStation Store when downloads started from there does not always work? That is just stupidity on Sony's part.

I know a lot of you probably have Playstation Plus, but if you don't...

Infamous 2 is currently £10.99 in the PSN Sale!

Think I'm gonna give it a go, but need to get a PSN card first.

Also Beyond Good and Evil HD is £4.25.

I picked up Dead Island GOTY edition for just £10.80ish after PS+ discount. Also decided to get House of the Dead 3 for £2.99 and Sonic Adventure!!!

Looks like I'll grab the inFamous Festival of Blood dlc game for £3.99.

Looks like I'll grab the inFamous Festival of Blood dlc game for £3.99.

Oooooh is it really? I had no idea looks like more money to spend.

So my 60 gig PS3 Fat just got the blinking red light of death. What should i do with this thing now?

So you can now use PayPal to buy things on the PSN.

Credit Cards have always put me off in the past after they had that hacking fiasco, but I guess this is generally a much better/safer way of doing it.

So you can now use PayPal to buy things on the PSN.

Say what, now? Really? Have to check, if it's available in Germany, too. Would be awesome!

It would be even more awesome if I could buy games from the UK store with PayPal.

Yep I had an email through today, this is what they say...

From 16th October 2012 you can now top-up your Sony Entertainment Network wallet via PayPal.

Your wallet can be used to purchase a variety of content on Sony Entertainment Network, including Games, Movies and Music.

You will need to sign in to your account via the Web to do this.

To top-up your wallet simply:

1. Visit http://www.SonyEntertainmentNetwork.com and sign in to your account.

2. Choose [Add Funds]

3. Choose PayPal – a new secure window will pop up.

4. Transfer from £5 to up to £120

Please note this functionality is only available by Signing-In to your account on http://www.SonyEntertainmentNetwork.com.

At least I haven't played this one.

Mostly because I didn't like the first game, but hey.

Mostly because I didn't like the first game, but hey.

They're quite different.

First game: essentially a sequel to Far Cry, with the "tropical island" setting and stuff.

Second game: Some generic, linear shooter set in a city.