NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Sony just wanted to trick people into thinking that an emerging technology was inspired by their game.

Like how Star Trek actually inspired the mobile phone, tablets and lots of other things (but they don't really brag about it).

HOTD: Overkill is so piss poor on the PS3. The only way to Play it is on the Wii.

Super Stardust HD or flower. Or maybe even The Last Man. And Elefunk is always overlooked.

Super Stardust is amazing, forgot about that! When did that come out? Looking for 2011 releases.

If you're looking for exclusives;

I really enjoyed Pixel Junk Shooter, Wipeout HD + Furious and Flower.

For others I recommend Mega Man 9 + 10 and Super Sonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars.

Bloody hell, never heard of the last one but love the title :) The mega man games are great too. Wipeout is incredible (need to play that more) but quite old. But that last one, is it great then?

Also, Dead Nations is pretty awesome. This year; Explodemon! is awesome. Sideway: New York, PayDay: The Heist, Outland.

And you cannot forget Infamous: Blood Festival.

There have been a crap load of amazing downloadable games now I think of it.

I have Dead Nation (thank you PSN hackers) haven't touched it yeah, didn't think it was meant to be great, but should check that out (is it 2 player co-op?)

Exlodemon, forgot about that.

So if you had to choose one as the best, what do you think? In 2011?

I have Dead Nation (thank you PSN hackers) haven't touched it yeah, didn't think it was meant to be great, but should check that out (is it 2 player co-op?)

Exlodemon, forgot about that.

So if you had to choose one as the best, what do you think? In 2011?

Dead Nations is really awesome in local co-op (and I haven't actually tried it since they added in game chat online). Single player, it's not amazing but it really is just so much better in co-op.

If I'm being bias, Explodemon! (and only slightly bias because I do think it's underrated) but other wise Infamous. It's hard to compare because the Infamous PSN game uses a crap load of assets from 2 (But it is massively different) and Explodemon! is an indie game.

Question: did Sony ever fix the auto trophy upload sync issue for PS+? I managed to set up the work around, but haven't changed the time on the system in case it messes it up again.

I'm not into racing at all.

The last serious racing game I got was F-1 World Grand Prix II for the N64 (fucking awesome game).

But a couple of weeks ago I played a couple of hours of Forza 4 and thought it was ace.

Made me wanna pick Gran Turismo up...

I very much doubt they'll say anything about the PS4. This E3 will be about the Vita and carrying on the PS3. I don't doubt that Sony will try and beat Microsoft to market for the next gen, though.

I think it could benefit them, and actually all the console manufacturers, if there was a much shorter time between announcement and release. The WiiU really did not needed to be announced last year.

The WiiU really did not needed to be announced last year.

Not wrong! :)

I still can't believe they announced it with no gameplay footage, no specs (lets be honest, we all love to hear specs - not rumours) and a general piss poor presentation not even making it clear it was a new console (imo). :shakehead

The WiiU really did not needed to be announced last year.

You mean after major details were leaked and rampant speculation ensued? It was the most sensible thing to do, if it was the right time or not.

I still can't believe they announced it with no gameplay footage, no specs (lets be honest, we all love to hear specs - not rumours)

Funny thing you should say that, because that's exactly what Nintendo did announce: Tentative specs. This is from their E3 2011 info page:

wiiuspecs.png

I know of course what you mean, but Nintendo hasn't "officially" announced detailed hardware specs like clocks, RAM etc. for the 3DS either. It's unlikely we'll get any more detailed specs from them than this. They know that they'll not have hardware that's "at the edge", so they'll not put all that much highlight on it.

No the WiiU needed to be announced not last year but several years ago. You know, instead of the Wii.

No the WiiU needed to be announced not last year but several years ago. You know, instead of the Wii.
True.

I just pray this extra year has meant that it's now at least somewhat comparible to the '720/PS4'

You mean after major details were leaked and rampant speculation ensued? It was the most sensible thing to do, if it was the right time or not.

Please, the Vita's stats and setup were leaked way before it was officially announced. Hell, even I knew about the rear touch pad six months before the official announcement.

Sony stayed quiet. Announced the thing half a year later, in January this year, and it was launched by the end of the year in Japan (and probably would have been across the world had it not been for certain natural disasters).

Nintendo certainly did not do anything in response to rumour. They clearly did it for shareholders to aleviate any fear that Nintendo could follow up the Wii's success. By the time the WiiU launches we would have known about it for almost two years.

Yeah, good point. For some reason I always assume E3 is really early in the year. Still, I don't think products should go over a year between announcement and release. I don't really get why they still do when Apple do the whole insta-announce, insta-release thing (I know, completely different circumstances but something closer to that would be better).

Edited by Daft

What's the point not announcing it if everyone knows it exists anyway?

It's like how Sony didn't comment on the Xperia Play even though people has specs, lots of leaked info and actual handsets months before Sony confirmed that it existed.

Well in the case of the Wii U you end up having show reel of 360/PS3/PC games.

Well in the case of the Wii U you end up having show reel of 360/PS3/PC games.

Not half as impressive as a prerendered trailer, I give you that. ;) On the other hand, some of these games are actually supposed to be released for it (Darksiders 2, Arkham Asylum, Metro and Aliens, I believe). Being PS360 games, they'll even roughly look like what was shown. :p

The problem again with that is the games they announced will already be a year or two old by the time the console comes out, not really something that gets me interested in a system.

The Wii U at the time sounded interesting (my interest has significantly dropped since though) but that was due to bits of information being given after Nintendo's press conference in interviews etc. The unveiling itself was one of the worst ive seen with people confused if it was even a new console or not. I think the only thing that saved the initial showing was that it was something new for console gaming.

I have played PS2 and have set my eyes on PS3.Hopefully i will get it on my birthday fro my parents.Do pray for me.

Not half as impressive as a prerendered trailer, I give you that. ;) On the other hand, some of these games are actually supposed to be released for it (Darksiders 2, Arkham Asylum, Metro and Aliens, I believe). Being PS360 games, they'll even roughly look like what was shown. :p

Showing other consoles' versions or a target render are both utterly crap and unacceptable. Yeah, those games will roughly look like those PS360 games but Killzone does look like that target render (with the obvious difference in that render doesn't play like a game and the actually game has a much better and more consistent look to it) - different sides to the same crappy coin. If that's all you have to show, you shouldn't be presenting your console.

I missed all the PS3 E3 launch banter. Used to be a massive Nintendo fanboy.